Mini-14 dust test - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 13:16   #1
Administrator

Mini-14 dust test

Guys at the firearm blog coat a mini-14 with baby powder.

I thought the results were rather interesting.

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 16:16   #2

At some point every mechanical item can be made to fail. I want to see an AR with the cover open take a dose of baby powder and then preform. As the Mini is being compared to the AR, a real-time, side by side test using the same amount of talcum powder into the action is a fair request.

I doubt the AR would fair much better with that much talcum powder in it's action. And, no, the cover isn't always down. During combat while traversing cover and/or concealment, one may be operating the weapon as one moves. That much dirt could easily enter the AR's action as well because the cover won't be down while firing during movement.

Ask me how I know.
hawkguy and tcsafety like this.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere" - Various
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." - Confucius
COSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 18:39   #3
RJF

I can't remember the last time I traversed through a talcum power-rich-environment of that proportion. I guess I'll need to avoid in the future or break out the broadswords and archery thingies...
COSteve and tcsafety like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 19:12   #4

I've seen the one where dirt is used. More failures than with talcum powder. In small quantities, talcum powder is a dry lubricant. In any case, it should be obvious that firearms should be kept clean for maximum reliability.
migyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 19:43   #5

Current baby powder is not talc based. It is mostly corn starch. Talc has been linked to granulomas, cervical cancer and other medical problems so it has been pretty much phased out by corn starch.

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.

Gun control=OSHA for criminals

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 20:38   #6

I'll bet his gun ran a little smoother after he cleaned it!
spacewolf223 likes this.
Old 07-06-2017, 21:05   #7

Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Current baby powder is not talc based. It is mostly corn starch. Talc has been linked to granulomas, cervical cancer and other medical problems so it has been pretty much phased out by corn starch.
I still have a couple of 22oz Johnson's Baby Powder bottles. Ingredients: Talc, fragrance. When I was a mover, we used it on the floor to slide heavy items on a moving blanket. Also used the talc after fixing a flat on bike and lawn tractor to avoid having the inner tube stick to the tire. I can see how corn starch could cause a failure.
spacewolf223 and BWM like this.
Old 07-06-2017, 23:03   #8

migyver,
You are correct, sir. Baby powder IS made of talc. You can also get a corn starch baby powder but J&J's is talc. I was thinking the formula had changed but the problems I cited are associated with talc used on surgical gloves and not on baby's butts.

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.

Gun control=OSHA for criminals

NRA-Life
SASS#3302L/Regulator
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:26   #9

I thought Johnson's had changed it. The bottles I have are several years old. I will check the new bottles when I go the store.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43   #10
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
I have done a kind of impromptoo sort of dust test with an old pencil barrel mini when it was new back in 82'.I was shooting sand rats (ground squirrels)out on my fathers place over the hood of my old pickup-when I got the brilliant idea of using the ground and a harris low bipod for a better rest.The soil there was volcanic ash(pozzolous)like spewed from Mount St. Helens in washington back in May of 80'.Never having shot the mini in this type of conditions before-I was about to get educated!I picked out a furry little target critter and from the prone position squeezed off a round.The entirety of my world was blanked out in a dust up like someone had just dumped a yard of dust from about 20' above me.Now for the life of me I could'nt think of where all of that dam dust came from-but it was inside of any and every crevice of the mini concievable-what a pain!I pulled all of the field cleanable(wipeable)parts and using a handkerchief wiped down as much as possible,quit shooting from the ground,and went on shooting probably a dozen more rounds from the hood of the pickup.No ftfs,noaction stoppages-just dirt!What I learned later was that the high pressures from the rifle discharge caused the surface dirt to break loose(become airborne)and the return pressure from mother nature trying to fix my F.U.had stuffed all of that dust into the operating parts of the mini(this will also happen with an AR)
the last part of this lesson is that it took almost 2 cans of break cleaner to wash this dust out of the guns metal parts!I try to not shoot from the ground these days!One other thing-these old garand type actions are pretty impervious to most things that nature has to throw at them.And they do so without needing any special attention!!!
tri70, curt mini14, RJF and 1 others like this.
The voices in my head say they don't like you!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12   #11

I own a 30, would not try that. I'm satisfied myself the gun is fairly durable. here in the North Carolina mountain bush there may be the odd accident involving mud in the action but a pull down and wipe out with bandana/sock/towel should suffice, and a squirt of oil.
cold weather I use a moly-bearing dry lube, the liquid carrier drys leaving the moly film on the metal.
RJF likes this.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51   #12

Why ? ..humans are nuts!! Truly I get the test, better someone else's gun not mine.
migyver and Marlin 45 carbine like this.
Old 07-07-2017, 14:37   #13

Originally Posted by spacewolf223 View Post
Why ? ..humans are nuts!! Truly I get the test, better someone else's gun not mine.
Because you're curious. I'm just glad I didn't have to clean it.
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 15:40   #14

Did he really refer to the Mini 14's bolt as a BCG...?!
firescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:06   #15

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
I can't remember the last time I traversed through a talcum power-rich-environment of that proportion. I guess I'll need to avoid in the future or break out the broadswords and archery thingies...
come to az before monsoon season every foot step poofs fine dust.butt no need to worry my mini ,ar,and marlin 1894 have never had any issues with it.
sandog likes this.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:32   #16

"I haven't lubed or cleaned it since I got it"

What an expert.

All of these "dirt/mud/rock in the action" tests are derp, not real-world torture tests.
Bolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:47   #17
large member

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Guys at the firearm blog coat a mini-14 with baby powder.

I thought the results were rather interesting.
i think the results of this test are rather predictable, as opposed to interesting, myself.

i've seen many of these "torture tests" and i believe the ones that show any clear "winner" in these scenarios are likely faked (re done until they get desired results) . observe the video i quickly found of the AK and AR. both failed the "torture test" that was given.

the AR's clear advantage is the dust cover. the problem is, during use, that advantage is gone. it is effective in preventing debris into the action. once the dust cover is opened, debris enters & it fails like every other auto loading rifle.

the AK, had the rep. for being "unstoppable." though i do believe the AK is very durable and reliable in many harsh conditions....we have seen that they can and do malfunction with enough interference in the action.

the mini is, imo, way too exposed in some areas. specifically the mag and open bolt. this will allow more debris in the operating areas. i like the mini, but like every other rifle i own....it ain't perfect. the open areas allow more debris in, the garand action also forces debris out with some success.

NO auto loading rifle will function 100% once enough debris enters the action!

all my opinion, but as said...the vid seem to confirm this. the idea that the AK, AR, or, M1A, or mini are any more or less "reliable" than the other...based exclusively on the design of their actions....seems more myth than fact.

all my opinion on simple observations, i do not claim to be an expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APzYqwXckw
tri70 and Phish like this.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02   #18
Banned

Only thing talcum powder should be used for lately is for them butt hurting liberals! Not on real guns!
hawkguy, COSteve, RJF and 1 others like this.
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:05   #19

Originally Posted by Phish View Post
Only thing talcum powder should be used for lately is for them butt hurting liberals! Not on real guns!
I'm thinking if you do, you should mix in some of that sharp volcanic powder. The kind that leaves little cuts on your skin and eats jet engine turbines if they fly through it.
sandog, Phish and tcsafety like this.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere" - Various
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." - Confucius
COSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 13:18   #20
RJF

In the mid-late '70s, went to Yakima Firing Center (WA) several times. The dust out there was powder. Real pain with rain: mud for the top 1/2", then powder underneath. What a mess slugging through all of that!
Old 07-10-2017, 17:32   #21

I think it depends on how well the gun is worn also, new tight tolerances will stop quickly. I noticed in the AR vsAK mud bath, the AR had a nickel boron or Failzero BCG but not a milspec.
Old 07-10-2017, 18:50   #22
RJF

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
I think it depends on how well the gun is worn also, new tight tolerances will stop quickly. I noticed in the AR vsAK mud bath, the AR had a nickel boron or Failzero BCG but not a milspec.
Plus, the moon was "new, waxing". You just can't discount that kinda stuff!
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 16:34   #23

Before dessert storm there was a lot of debate as to weather or not US vehicle engines could stand up to the sandy conditions.
Americans being very innovative, (probably some grunt)
came up with a solution.......... They put a pantyhose around the outside of the air filters to keep the sand out.

Couple of years ago, a guy on the highroad who was always bashing Mini's
made a video where he put at least 5 pounds of dirt thru a sifter, into the action of a mini. He then proceeded to attempt to fire the mini........ didn't go to well for the mini. Then he did the same thing with an AR, dust cover closed.
Obviously the AR did a lot better while shooting, dust cover now open, but no more dirt.

The reason I bring this up is, I did some experimenting, an found a section of little girls tights kept dirt out. Yeah you have to remove them before shooting, but if you must trek thru dirty conditions this and a condom or plastic barrel cap will keep the mini clean until you reach your destination.

STW
Sun Tzu Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 20:39   #24
RJF

We used pantyhose as filters for out computers during ODS. Changed/cleaned them most every night. The laptop I deployed with during ODS still runs fine - if not just a bit outdated...
Old 07-14-2017, 07:26   #25
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Hey RJF;I too am a veteran of the rice paddies of Yakima!I used to live two hours from there,and worked for dod-in Oregon.
The voices in my head say they don't like you!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote