Aluminum handguards for mini 14 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 10:03   #1

Aluminum handguards for mini 14

I have a Stainless steel "1984"Mini 14 in .223 Cal. I purchased and installed a Ruger SS folding stock the same year I purchased the rifle. I hate anything plastic, especially when used to build guns. I replaced the plastic handgrip, which broke, with a handmade aluminum one. So, the plastic handguard that has always disappointed me, is the only piece of plastic that is left to made me dislike an otherwise good looking rifle. I have fallen behind what is available in accessories. Has any of you folks replaced the plastic handguards on their Mini 14 rifles, with non plastic ones? What kind? This is the rifle that I want to find a suitable handguard for. Thanks.
Chubbohttp://www.perfectunion.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=32897&stc=1&d=14673924 79
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum handguards for mini 14-dsc02379.jpg  
hawkguy, Bepe and DariStar like this.
Chubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:53   #2

Yeah like CoSteve said, those steel hand guards are rare. I have been looking for a while, and I think I will have better luck getting one fabricated. But you should really give the Choate ventilated hand guard a try, I know they are plastic but they really do look good. Plus they are only 15 bucks, and it can feel the need for a while till you can find a steel heat shield.

Oh and by the way, I hate pistol grips on a rifle, but holy cow the one you got make me feel warm inside That thing looks awesome!!!! How did you do that???
Old 07-01-2016, 16:43   #3
Operation:Mindcrime

Nice 1911 grip! Gotta ask, whats under the barrel?

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2016, 16:44   #4
large member

i found and placed a steel (not aluminum AFAK) hand guard on my mini and i love the darn thing. it did take a pair of pliers and minor cursing to get fitted correctly.....but i love the looks and function of this hand guard....i might...maybe...even like it more than my choate poly hand guard.

costeve sent ya a good link. that is the one. the are discontinued and a bit hard to find, yet not impossible. imo, this hand guard is second only to the factory wood hand guard (yet likely vent much better). i paid $40 bucks for mine.

good luck. pic attached!

Originally Posted by Chubbo View Post
I have a Stainless steel "1984"Mini 14 in .223 Cal. I purchased and installed a Ruger SS folding stock the same year I purchased the rifle. I hate anything plastic, especially when used to build guns. I replaced the plastic handgrip, which broke, with a handmade aluminum one. So, the plastic handguard that has always disappointed me, is the only piece of plastic that is left to made me dislike an otherwise good looking rifle. I have fallen behind what is available in accessories. Has any of you folks replaced the plastic handguards on their Mini 14 rifles, with non plastic ones? What kind? This is the rifle that I want to find a suitable handguard for. Thanks.
Chubbohttp://www.perfectunion.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=32897&stc=1&d=14673924 79
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum handguards for mini 14-ruger-mini-14-steel-handguard.jpg  
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:43   #5
large member

Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
If it were me, I'd buy a Choate HG and paint it with some SS or aluminum colored paint to match the barrel and action. It looks good with the wood stock and cools much better than a wood HG[/IMG]
good advice, and would probably look good and work well. the choate hand guard is very good imo.

but my advice for the OP would be patience. if a steel hand guard is what he wants....i would wait and get one. i still mildly regret not being more patient to get a wood hand guard.......my plan was to match stain when i refinished my stcok, and drill vent holes/slots of some sort. right when i gave up and got the steel HG (which i do really like)...i found a source for wood HGs.....

imo.....mini available HGs rank as follows (best to least imo):

1) factory wood hand guard
2) steel ventilated hand guard OR aluminum scout rails (the scout rails are much more $ though)
3) choate poly hand guard
4) factory poly hand guard

also, if the OP is interested....the metal HG's do also come in a stainless.
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum handguards for mini 14-misc016.jpg  
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46   #6
large member

COSteve;1057209]While I agree with Hawkguy to a point, I personally don't want my Mini to look like an M1 Garand so the wood HG isn't on my list. Even though I like the M14 look, I want better cooling so large cooling area is my main focus. That's why the Choate is my 1st choice; not looks but function.
better cooling was the reason i wanted to drill holes or slots in the wood to see how effective a wood HG would be with ventilation. as said, i still slightly regret giving up on that idea. thus, why i advised patience in getting what you really want. myself, a product is its "best" when it both functions well and looks sharp.

the steel ventilated hand guard, in my limited use, seems to cool just as well as the choate, maybe better. and also imo, it looks better. but again, the choate is great and a huge improvement over the factory HG. the steel HG is more expensive...but i like it a bit more myself.

I'm also not into bayonets, scopes, folding stocks, or a number of things popular these days, however, they all look great so I'm thrilled to see all the variations. It's part of what makes Minis fun, you get to do it your way.
yup...i have run across posters who loved the looks of hi points and collected them.......to each their own! its good the OP can make a more educated choice from the good bit of info and varied perspectives offered here.
COSteve likes this.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58   #7

Nice pistol grip!! Have you looked at getting an M14 hand guard and modifying it?

Fulton Armory - Stocks / Handguards
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 17:31   #8

Thanks

Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Metal handguard for the Mini are rare but do exist. Here is an example of one that sold so you know what to look for.

Ruger Mini 14/30 Rare Metal handguard mint NICE For Sale at GunAuction.com - 10141309
Thanks for the picture of a metal handguard. I will know what to look for.
Chubbo
Old 07-03-2016, 17:55   #9

Thanks

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Yeah like CoSteve said, those steel hand guards are rare. I have been looking for a while, and I think I will have better luck getting one fabricated. But you should really give the Choate ventilated hand guard a try, I know they are plastic but they really do look good. Plus they are only 15 bucks, and it can feel the need for a while till you can find a steel heat shield.

Oh and by the way, I hate pistol grips on a rifle, but holy cow the one you got make me feel warm inside That thing looks awesome!!!! How did you do that???
Thanks for the compliment on my hand made aluminum pistol grip, made to repair the factory made plastic one that broke. Ruger would not sell a replacement pistol grip to me, after the original grip broke, and so, as I hate anything plastic being used in making firearms, I said, I will make one out of aluminum, just like I want it. I don't have any machine tools, only a band saw, drill press, and a grinder/sander. I made the grip handle on the same angle as a 1911 pistol, drilled and tapped it to receive 1911 grip bushings, to allow me to install any standard 1911 grips on it. I also made the handle hollow, with a latched cover to hold two spare rounds,of ammo. It took a while to carve it out, but, it's just the way I want it, and it's not made of soy beans, and horse manure.
Chubbo
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 18:01   #10

Thanks

Originally Posted by Scorpion of Mars View Post
Nice 1911 grip! Gotta ask, whats under the barrel?
Forgive my lack of photography skills. the thing that you see under the barrel is a hand made aluminum flashlight holder, and a Minimaglight flashlight.
Chubbo
Old 07-03-2016, 19:52   #11

Thanks

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
good advice, and would probably look good and work well. the choate hand guard is very good imo.

but my advice for the OP would be patience. if a steel hand guard is what he wants....i would wait and get one. i still mildly regret not being more patient to get a wood hand guard.......my plan was to match stain when i refinished my stcok, and drill vent holes/slots of some sort. right when i gave up and got the steel HG (which i do really like)...i found a source for wood HGs.....

2) steel ventilated hand guard OR aluminum scout rails (the scout rails are much more $ though)

That Stainless steel handguard that you show, really flops my mop, but a black one would satisfy my needs also. still don't know whear to start looking for one tho. or even a wooden one, for that matter. Thanks
Chubbo
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 21:04   #12

By "metal handguard" you mean "grill" right? I prefer my digits to remain unbroiled.
Stophel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 21:16   #13
large member

Originally Posted by Stophel View Post
By "metal handguard" you mean "grill" right? I prefer my digits to remain unbroiled.
haw! that is a legit concern! but i haven't had any issues....it gets warm, but not hot enough to make any fried hawk fingers so far....sounds tasty though.....
Old 07-03-2016, 21:32   #14
large member

That Stainless steel handguard that you show, really flops my mop, but a black one would satisfy my needs also. still don't know whear to start looking for one tho. or even a wooden one, for that matter. Thanks
Chubbo
at one time, gunville.com was reproducing wood hand guards. worth a call maybe.

metal hand guards....well, look and be patient. i found one. you can too i would imagine. it might take some time though.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:21   #15

I don't know if this is what your looking for but have a look at this one on EBay

Ruger-mini-14-30-handguard-blued-federal-ordnance
hawkguy likes this.

If it's got fur,feathers or scales it's in trouble
223mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:32   #16
large member

Originally Posted by 223mini14 View Post
I don't know if this is what your looking for but have a look at this one on EBay. Ruger-mini-14-30-handguard-blued-federal-ordnance
nice find! i had just looked on ebay and got nuthin'!

better jump on that chubbo!

Ruger Mini 14 30 Handguard Blued Federal Ordnance | eBay
Old 07-05-2016, 14:55   #17

M14 handguard

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Nice pistol grip!! Have you looked at getting an M14 hand guard and modifying it?

Fulton Armory - Stocks / Handguards
tri70:
I guess I am behind in what might fit my Mini 14. I never gave the M14 handguard a thought. they had wood, and also metal ones I believe. I will look into getting one. That would make an interesting project. Thanks for the info.
chubbo
Old 07-05-2016, 14:58   #18

Thanks

Originally Posted by 223mini14 View Post
I don't know if this is what your looking for but have a look at this one on EBay

Ruger-mini-14-30-handguard-blued-federal-ordnance
Thanks for the info.
Chubbo
223mini14 likes this.
Old 07-05-2016, 14:59   #19

Thanks

nice find! i had just looked on ebay and got nuthin'!

better jump on that chubbo!

Thanks for the info.
Chubbo
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-05-2016, 15:18   #20
large member

Thanks for the info.
Chubbo
no problem, bro! hope you find what you're lookin for! in general, i think...we think...almost the same way.

and btw, that is one helluva fine folder you got there. hatin' on you...just a little bit....
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30   #21

tri70:
I guess I am behind in what might fit my Mini 14. I never gave the M14 handguard a thought. they had wood, and also metal ones I believe. I will look into getting one. That would make an interesting project. Thanks for the info.
chubbo
It would be a project to adjust to fit the mini if you could not find a mini metal hand guard.
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:47   #22
large member

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
It would be a project to adjust to fit the mini if you could not find a mini metal hand guard.
i'll have to look it up when i am feeling less lazy, but a poster here already had a thread years back on adapting the standard M14 hand guard onto a mini 14. the poster did a very good job....but i simply did not like the look at all. imo, it may have been a slight step up from the factory hand guard, but for $15 and a helluva lot less trouble, i far prefer the choate to the M14 hand guard on the mini. just a preference of course.
tri70 likes this.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:32   #23
large member

ok, here it is. like i said, i think it looks OK. not really my cup of tea, but i'm sure many would like this look. i think one poster said it looked like a tootsie roll on top of the rifle....i have never been able to shake that image. lmao.

all credit to the original poster, if you mind that i borrowed this pic for this thread. i will take it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum handguards for mini 14-m1a-hand-guard-adapted.jpg  
tri70 likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:45   #24

Your metal Handguard?

Hawk<
What kind of metal handguard is the one shown in your post, Stainless or aluminum? where did you find it? You mentioned that you found a source for wood handguards too late, where did you find them?
hawkguy likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56   #25
large member

Hawk<
What kind of metal handguard is the one shown in your post, Stainless or aluminum? where did you find it? You mentioned that you found a source for wood handguards too late, where did you find them?
chubbo, steve gotcha covered in the post above on the wood hand guards. use his link to go to gunville's page on their reproduced wood hand guards. $65 a decent deal imo.

i sent you a link to the same steel hand guard i have on ebay. click below. ONLY 2 HOURS REMAIN ON THIS ITEM! though, personally, it has bid far too high imo. ....$105? almost unbelievable!

i got mine at northridge international inc. it appears they no longer have them. but you could give them a call and inquire.