• 1 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By pdog
  • 2 Post By jor-el
  • 3 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By Misfire51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 13:42   #1

Scope ideas for mini-30

Ok so I need some help deciding. I am going to scope up my mini-30 Tac. Back ground is I have a $200 credit at primary arms (and or a $100 credit at brownell’s). Here are my options I am thinking about.
1. The Primary arms 1-6 x 24 with 7.62x39 BDC with the ruger rings. By far my cheapest and possibly lightest option (how much does the ultimak rail weigh?)

2. Buying a scout mount (ultimak) and using an old Leupold M8 2.5 x28 scout scope (most similar offering now just to compare ). Again a cheap option.

3. Buy the Ultimak rail and a burris 2-7x32

Other than that the rifle will be mostly stock.

Thoughts? other scopes in that range at primary arms? No red dots for this one.
Old 04-27-2016, 16:14   #2

option 2, you already have the scope.
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 18:15   #3

Agreed. option 2.
2.5x is plenty for the 7.62 x39 cartridge.
Save the 1-6x and 2-7x for the longer range .308 and .223.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2016, 15:48   #4

Option #3: Bushnell TRS 25 $90, on your Ultimak Rail. More than adequate for any shot out to 300 yards.

Option #4 Burris Fast Fire on Ultimak Rail See Sandog's numerous posts showing his guns with them mounted.

Scopes make Mini's handle like logs. A small Red Dot keeps the Mini 14/30's "M1 Carbine" like handling in tact and cuts down on the weight you have to hump around if in the field.

A good side mounted sling and your ready to do battle with whatever.

Some of them cans is pretty mean!

Randy
sandog likes this.
Old 04-28-2016, 15:55   #5

I have your option 3 and it works great. I like the adjustable po we r setting myself.
40nascar likes this.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 18:00   #6

I agree with W.R., a "good" red dot is all you need.
If you are set on a scope, a variable doesn't weigh much more than a fixed power, and sometimes it is nice to be able to zoom in.
Another great scope, bright and super clear, is the Nikon long eye relief 2.5-8x Force XR. I had mine on my green/tan Mini till I sold it to a friend, now that scope is on my Ruger Scout .308, and I still love it. A few BDC circles for holdover, cost is about $275.

sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 18:01   #7

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Option #3: Bushnell TRS 25 $90, on your Ultimak Rail. More than adequate for any shot out to 300 yards.

Option #4 Burris Fast Fire on Ultimak Rail See Sandog's numerous posts showing his guns with them mounted.

Scopes make Mini's handle like logs. A small Red Dot keeps the Mini 14/30's "M1 Carbine" like handling in tact and cuts down on the weight you have to hump around if in the field.

A good side mounted sling and your ready to do battle with whatever.

Some of them cans is pretty mean!

Randy
The link for option 2 said the scope was 7.5 ounces. That's pretty light for a scope.
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 22:25   #8

I have Option #1 but I went with QD Alaska Arms rings. I can keep them in the black of an NRA 50ft pistol target with Yugo ammo at 30yards, a three inch target. The factory trigger is the biggest impediment to finer accuracy, something I intend to fix this year.
COSteve and Bepe like this.
jor-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:45   #9

I had a lucid m7 with 2 moa dot on one of my minis forward mounted (non ranch).

The issue I ran into is I have a slight astigmatism that makes most red dots smear. not an issue on an AR as you can co-witness through the peep sight and it clears it up....
I cannot use that trick mounted on the mini.

That said I am going to try some other retical types on my other rifles to see if it helps.

this rifle will be for close range (ambush) hunting and paper punching so weight is not such an issue.

The 7.5 oz is likely very close to the M8 weight. I also have an older pistol scope but it is too long of an eye relief.
It has to mount so far forward as to be useless on anything but a pistol.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:54   #10

jor-el which rings exactly?

I see 30mm for 42mm objectives. nothing lower.
Old 04-29-2016, 13:03   #11

The Bushnell TRS 25 weighs 3.0 oz. and is complete with mount.

The Smeared Dot syndrome is very minor on most decent Red Dots. None of them are perfectly round as they are all projected at an angle to the screen.

With a 3 MOA dot I can hit a Man Sized 8x10" Steel Target every single time off a rest at 200 yards and about 8/10 at 300 yards using a 12" holdover.

The simplicity of the Red Dot Sight is what make it so right for the Carbine class of rifle.

The speed of Target Acquisition is essentially twice as fast as a Cross Hair Reticle. The reason for this is simple. With a cross hair you are moving the intersection up or down then right or left because that's the way your mind works.

With the dot all you do is move the dot to the target and break the shot. When I am out of practice, I have to break myself of "Telling myself to break the shot" after the target is acquired. After a few shots my Training comes back and it goes like,,, Dot, Target, Bang!

Faster than you can say it!

I have the same sights on all my carbines and several other guns as well. All these guns have one thing in common,,, They are 300 yard or less guns. My K-T Sub2K is a 100 yard gun. My Glock 35 is a 50 yard gun with the Burris Fast Fire on it. I'm looking to buy a G23 which will get one as well.

The Red Dot sight is the wave of the future and there is good reason for it. they work!

I suggest that everyone here try one out before they spend lots more money on a decent scope and see if it doesn't work for you. I was amazed ! And I suspect that everyone else would be too.

I mounted one first to my K-T SU16 CA this gun is super light and moves to a target fast. The night of the install after dark I went on Night Ops in my back yards. I also had a Streamlight mounted to the gun.

As I went into the back yard I saw the Silhouette of a Coon sitting on my Deck. I brought the gun to the ready and turned on the light, I was instantly on target and could have easily broke 3 shots before the coon knew what was happening.

I proceeded to engage numerous targets of opportunity for about 30 minutes.

I was sold!!!!

The following Weekend I shot a 3 gun match in Santa Barbara and placed 2nd out of 20 shooters of all ages. By that time I had "dot target bang" or Bang, bang, firmly in place and individual targets seldom took more than .5-.8 seconds to drop 2 shoots into.

I just hope that some people will take the advice and at least try one of these sights, I can almost guarantee that they will be sold the first time snap shooting becomes the name of the game. I could literally Shoot Skeet with a red dot and probably shoot higher scores than I do without.

Randy
Misfire51, sandog and Bepe like this.
Old 04-29-2016, 14:16   #12

^^^ AGREED ^^^ And no better way than to buy the Bushnell TRS25 red dot, under 100.00 sometimes on sale for as low as 55.00 , top quality and decent battery life. These are very rugged little red dots and I personally have had to send mine to bushnell for a problem and no questions asked replaced for free. I own 2 of these and when I decide to buy a Mini30 than another TRS25 will sit on top.
sandog likes this.
Old 04-29-2016, 22:57   #13

Originally Posted by star View Post
jor-el which rings exactly?

I see 30mm for 42mm objectives. nothing lower.
Current design (5800 series) require high rings or higher. Any lower and the rear bell won't clear the rear sight.

The 189 series and earlier had that folding leaf rear sight that allowed medium and low rings.
jor-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:59   #14

I became a fan of the fixed, low power forward-mounted scout scope many years ago. I first saw a 2X Burris Pistol scope mounted on an SKS like in the first picture. Then I ran across a fellow at a gun show that had mounts for the Mini-14 and Mini-30, which replace the top section of the gas block (see third photo below to see how it looks together with the lower gas block) I ended up with a Burris 1.5X Extended Eye Relief (XER) Scout Scope on my Mini-30.

A good pistol scope with enough eye relief would also do the trick. IMHO a true 2X is the highest you'd want to go for a fixed power pistol scope, but YMMV. 4X is realistically all the power a Mini really needs for it's 300 yard (give or take) effective range and certainly for it's most likely to be used within 200 yard practical range. So a 1-4X variable scout scope would also be a good option. Does more power hurt? No, but keeping the scope on the lighter side that far forward is part of the magic of this particular configuration. My Burris scout scope weighs only 8 oz. And you tend to get more bang for your buck with low power scopes in the performance to price ratio.

The second photo is my Mini-30 as it looks today. This scope configuration makes for quick target acquisition I find having a little more weight (but not too much) that far forward also helps tame muzzle rise for more consistent groups and faster reacquisition of target. When I first bought my Mini in 1989 I was getting consistent 3" groups at 100 yards. After adding the scout scope and the recoil pad I'm getting consistent 2" groups or a hair better at 100 yards and with much older, but more experienced eyes.

Next on my list is a trigger job and a reduced gas bushing. Believe or not I've never done either of those yet. Could I get this thing down to 1 MOA? We'll see, but a guy can dream, right?

A scope mount similar to mine is available from Accuracy Systems in the link below, and I actually like theirs a bit better than the one I have. Theirs has more slots for ring positions. These are see-through mounts, so you can still use your iron sights. I use medium height rings, but with the scope I have I could go lower.

Mini 14 & 30 Ranch Model Scope Base

If I were to do this scope thing from scratch today I would get the scope mount from Accuracy Systems and a true 2X long eye relief Burris or Leupold pistol scope from one of the vendors you have credit with. The Leupold M8 2.5 x28 doesn't have enough eye relief for this mount. My Burris scope has a wide range with a max of 18" eye relief and with the longer stock from my recoil pad it needs it.

Well, lots a great ideas in this thread. And then there's what reticle would be best for your purposes. My Burris has a German 3-post #1, loved and hated by many. Works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Scope ideas for mini-30-sks_scout.jpg   Scope ideas for mini-30-mini-30.jpg   Scope ideas for mini-30-g12.jpg  
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 21:48   #15

I have the Redfield Revolution 2x7x33 using Ruger Rings on my 582 Series Mini 30.
TucoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 00:25   #16

By the way, I forgot to mention why a 2X or less scope is best when the scope is far forward of the action. It's much easier to keep both eyes open and your brain still make sense of what each eye is seeing. In a close combat, self-defense, or running game situation you ideally want both eyes open.

And a correction to my original post: The first place I saw a long eye relief scope being used was a photo in an article about US troops using M1 carbines in the early years of Vietnam. The lead man or man on point would use the configuration to out draw the enemy... faster target acquisition in an unexpected encounter on patrol.

This definition is a bit different than the late great Jeff Cooper's idea of a "Scout Scope" since the scope was much farther forward on the M1. I can't find a pic on the web at the moment but it was mounted way up there like the pics of the SKS and my Mini-30 I shared in the previous post. When two opposing forces meet suddenly the point man with a scout scope wins... all other things being equal... or so goes the theory anyway.
Old 05-05-2016, 19:11   #17

I have Option 3 on my Mini 14 and love it. My father shot it and liked it so much he ordered one for his M&P 15.
Darts2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:09   #18

Originally Posted by jor-el View Post
Current design (5800 series) require high rings or higher. Any lower and the rear bell won't clear the rear sight.

The 189 series and earlier had that folding leaf rear sight that allowed medium and low rings.
good to know. Never scoped my mini's.

Beck I have a scope that would work for that but I did not like the unbalanced feel. just seemed too front heavy, but thanks for the idea.

Currently I am going option 2 with the possibility of option 3 if I think more X would help.
Old 05-07-2016, 23:34   #19

Originally Posted by star View Post
Beck I have a scope that would work for that but I did not like the unbalanced feel. just seemed too front heavy, but thanks for the idea.
You're welcome. After much trial and error I arrived at the forward-mounted low power scope with this particular gas block scope base. It's not for everyone, but a little weight forward is part of what makes this work so well. The Burris scope I have weighs only 8 oz with the rings. The gas block scope base weighs less than that. I wouldn't call mine heavy, but rather "forward stable" and well-suited for fast on target in a hurry. I even have a Choate recoil pad, so everything is even farther forward than it would be with the stock but plate. This rig is rock steady even in a standing position with support hand under the magazine. If you have the time and funds, and in a mood to experiment I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck on your quest for the right sighting system. There are lots of good choices depending on what you want to use it for.
Old 05-13-2016, 21:59   #20

I have option #3 on my stainless mini 30 (with factory rings). Shoots 2.5 - 3.0 MOA unmodified out of the box with hornady 130gr. sp bullets and about 25.0 gr. of 1680 powder. I couldn't be happier (except the gritty trigger needs to be smoothed out).
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote