• 1 Post By Buckshot556
  • 1 Post By Buckshot556
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 09:30   #1

Mini 30 gas system update

Hey y'all, just figured I'd post up where I'm at with my gas system tuning on my 582 mini 30.

Came stock with a .1 dia gas bushing.

I ordered from ASI their three bushing kit and installed the smallest, .06 dia. I also placed a Wilson combat buffer in the rear where the action spring seats. Ejection was still harsh as hell. I put a second Wilson combat buffer in, this time up front. The gun hardly cycled on every shot with the two buffers and .06 dia gas bushing, I'm talking the bolt hardly moved back at all.

I ended up pulling the front buffer out, and the gun ran fine but was ejecting casings into my scope turret an chuckin casings forward. She cycled wth everything except PMC bronze, which is probably underpowered and caused short strokes and stovepipes. The Russian bear ammo I shot cycled fine.

Kinda pissed the pmc didn't cycle. Here are my two possible next steps, I need y'all input.

A: try running a .065 or .07 bushing, but using buffers both front and rear

B: order a .055 gas bushing from a member here and try and run it with only a buffer in the rear.

Your opinions and feedback is appreciated
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Buckshot556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:34   #2

I'm starting to think that regardless of gas setting, the gun will eject casings into the scope turret. I may just end up mounting a Burris ff on the front scallop since this guns primary use is plinking from 50-100yds
sandog likes this.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:30   #3

stronger recoil springs are available.
pmc x39 ammo is known for being underpowered, I experienced that. on other hand the brass is one of the best for reloading -then necks don't split after many sizeings -for me anyway and the bushing on the gas pipe/block may be bleeding gas so recoil energy is down.
sandog likes this.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:02   #4

The "roll pin inside the bushing"mod worked well on my Mini-14, lasted 2 years and well over 700 rounds before opening up and ejecting brass further away. But the roll pin mod was a total fail with the M-30. Hole was about .055", and for the first few shots, brass was ejecting about 5 feet away. Not as much as I'd like, but O.K. Then the Mini started short stroking. I took it apart when I got home, and noticed the gasses had driven the roll pin out of the bushing and wedged it down into the gas pipe. I had to pick it out with needle nose pliers.
I got on my friends Shur-Line milling tool, and with some stainless steel rod made a bushing. 275 long, .186 diameter and drilled a .063 hole in it. Will try it out on Saturday, and if ejection distance is good I will make several more. BTW, I use Wilson buffers front and rear in my Mini's but thin them down.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:07   #5

Yeah maybe a thinned front buffer will allow it to cycle with the .06 gas bushing. I kinda want to stay away from front buffers though since mine seem to crumble after a couple hundred rounds
Old 07-21-2015, 18:07   #6

a bit off topic but the 30 can be converted to straight pull bolt action by tapping the gas pipe for a set screw. a short one.
use tap magic and a 2 flute tap the pipe is tough metal, mine is the s/s model.
sandog likes this.
Old 07-21-2015, 18:18   #7

A straight pull would probably give the best accuracy. No bolt movement and gasses to disturb things.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 19:24   #8

I never confirmed torque on the gb, would that cause any issues? I sure did snug up those 4 bolts
Old 07-22-2015, 07:02   #9

#7. it does.
#8. and yes too tight is detrimental to groups.
torque the allens tight enough to prevent gb slippage, mark the juncture of gb and barrel, if any slippage reposition and torque tighter, evenly spaceing the gb side slot.
also consider using hi-heat JB weld to bed the foreend to gb.
when I did these mods I also cleaned up the muzzle crown and added an HK style break and front sight and cut groups in half with irons.
no M1a match but a big improvement.