Hickok 45 reviews the mini 30 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 23:26   #1

Hickok 45 reviews the mini 30

I have a mini 30 but honestly I rarely shoot it for the same reasons he demonstrates in the video. He doesn't really trash it, but he doesn't sugarcoat the problems all of us who own one experience.

Quentin likes this.

Last edited by Kevin; 08-31-2015 at 19:40.
BengalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:34   #2

Problems ? What problems ? Just don't shoot Berdan primed cheap ammo through it, and they do fine. What other problems do you experience, other than light primer strikes with Berdan primed ammo ? If you want to shoot Russian ammo that is not brass case, Boxer primed, shoot it out of an AKM or SKS. I have had a few light strikes with steel case Berdan primed Hornady and Tula. My reloads with PPU brass and Winchester primers, no problems at all. And they are a lot more accurate than any factory 7.62x39. If you don't reload, shoot Federal American Eagle, PMC, PPU, W-W or R-P brass stuff. People who whine about a Mini not being able to shoot Russian ammo is like someone who buys a new Camaro and complains about it not running well with peanut oil instead of premium gasoline. Or that 2 MOA isn't good enough out of a lightweight semi-auto. It's not a bolt rifle, it does fine for what it is.
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:23   #3

my 189 series 30 fires the now-banned (by billary) Chinese x39 fine, no misfires - surprisingly. and also the very good Yugo mil-surp brass cased.
both are corro primed so that means a good squirt down with a water based cleaner. windex is good, my fav is windsheild washer fluid winter mix has alky in it. hot soapy water does good. then dry and use regular cleaning solution.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:14   #4

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Problems ? What problems ? Just don't shoot Berdan primed cheap ammo through it, and they do fine. What other problems do you experience, other than light primer strikes with Berdan primed ammo ? If you want to shoot Russian ammo that is not brass case, Boxer primed, shoot it out of an AKM or SKS. I have had a few light strikes with steel case Berdan primed Hornady and Tula. My reloads with PPU brass and Winchester primers, no problems at all. And they are a lot more accurate than any factory 7.62x39. If you don't reload, shoot Federal American Eagle, PMC, PPU, W-W or R-P brass stuff. People who whine about a Mini not being able to shoot Russian ammo is like someone who buys a new Camaro and complains about it not running well with peanut oil instead of premium gasoline. Or that 2 MOA isn't good enough out of a lightweight semi-auto. It's not a bolt rifle, it does fine for what it is.
It was the first rifle I bought when I decided to seriously get into shooting. This was right after Sandyhook when it looked like we might not be able to buy firearms for long. A guy my wife worked with had it for sale and we bought it. I signed up here, bought an accu-strut and a scope, extra magazines, and my wife and I figured out we really enjoyed shooting.

I don't hate the gun, but we have since bought among other things, an M&P 15, an Arsenal AK 47, a PS 90 and two Tavors. I like all of those better than my mini 30.

I'll probably keep it if for no other reason than it doesn't look like an "evil" rifle, but I rarely want to shoot it.
BengalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:45   #5

I love my mini. Bought it because I wanted a 7.62 short, also wanted an M1a which I couldn't reall afford, so I figured best of both worlds. I dressed mine in a wood stock for the classic and unassuming look. Sure it doesn't shoot everything, but this isn't my go to war gun. I enjoy shooting my mini the most, just hate how it came over gassed from the factory
Buckshot556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:55   #6

As one who does NOT own a Mini 30 (I do have a 14), the 30's issues with cheaper steel ammo are the single reason I never bought a 30. Seems like Ruger is missing out on what could be a BIG market by not resolving this.
howard2374 and Quentin like this.
jws360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:26   #7

Done
howard2374 likes this.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere" - Various
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." - Confucius

Last edited by COSteve; 08-20-2015 at 11:08.
COSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:53   #8

Because if they do, next thing you know we're asking for ak mag compatibility!

Ruger, If you reading this, make the rifle compatible with ak mags and hard Russian primers. Send units out for t&e to the big names on YouTube, profit....
howard2374 likes this.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:56   #9

My 189 has eaten everything I've stuffed into it with out a problem. It's not pickey about after market mags either!! Guess I got a good one!!
hornet41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 21:31   #10

My series 583 Mini Thirty #5854 has not had any issues so far with the Russian ammo. Only about 300 rounds so far, many more to come. My first 20 rounds fired were brass, now I mix and match.
lesgeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 14:04   #11

Has anyone tried the Mini 30 with Golden Tiger ammo? It's probably the best of the steel cased Russian.
Old 07-18-2015, 15:21   #12

The Golden Tiger is probably still Berdan primed, the primers are harder for the Mini to digest than the steel case.
Old 07-18-2015, 15:25   #13

Originally Posted by freesw View Post
Has anyone tried the Mini 30 with Golden Tiger ammo? It's probably the best of the steel cased Russian.
Yes I had 20% failure to ignite, just like I did with Tula an wolf polyformance.

All the bear ammos have been reliable, as well as every brass case ammo I've shot. Wolf classic is reliable too.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:08   #14

Done
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere" - Various
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." - Confucius

Last edited by COSteve; 08-20-2015 at 11:08.
COSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 13:42   #15

I hear so much BS about these guns I can hardly believe it. Mini 14's are what they are and if 2-3 MOA isn't good enough for you then you should reassess your needs.

These guns weren't designed to be sniper rifles or long range varmint shooters.

There is no steel target or paper target or dirt clod or can or bottle or Water Melon or person that needs more accuracy. It is pointless!

If you noticed in this video he hit pretty much everything he shot at and was doing it offhand with iron sights.

The only problems he had were with the bad ammo, and it was the ammo, as all of those primers he showed had good solid strikes on them.

Solutions: 1. don't use that bad ammo,,, or 2. learn how to rack the slide a little faster when you get a dud.

I have never had a FTF with my 580 Series Mini14 and the majority of ammo that it has shot has been Wolf Steel Cased (because I bought a whole 1000 round case when Obama got elected the first time.) I have just about shot all that stuff up. once again with no FTF's. The gun has a serious Hammer in it and it would take some pretty bad primers to not go off, so that ammo is a definite "must avoid at all cost."

If that's all the ammo you have,,, then learn to clear the malfunctions! It is part of shooting so get used to it. Sometimes you gotta run what you brung.

I am sorry, but when I hear this stuff it only shouts the need for more training. Not problems with the gun.

All guns malfunction, and if you know how to fix it then you won't be the one whining about how your gun doesn't work.

If it's that bad, figure out what is wrong and fix it, or send it back to Ruger. You should eliminate bad ammo before you bitch about Ruger.

As far as accuracy goes, stop shooting at bottle caps. Nobody cares.

Randy
tri70, bpartwthog and sandog like this.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:23   #16

The primers were solid hits, it's the ammo failure. Same thing will happen in any gun and cheap ammo.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:53   #17
AC-556 Owner

Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
The primers were solid hits, it's the ammo failure. Same thing will happen in any gun and cheap ammo.
Actually its a Ruger issue. An AK variant rifle shoots the cheap ammo everytime.

I like ruger but telling it like it is, in the mini-30, the pin isnt long enough to reliably set off 7.62x39 ammo. No one has said a mini-14 wont set off steel case 223
howard2374 likes this.
Dacotua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:07   #18

Correct. The ammo would fire 100% in an AKM or SKS. The Mini's firing pin has a hard time reaching the Berdan primers. There is a good indentation on the primer, just not enough to set them off every time. I'll stick with Boxer primed stuff
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41   #19

I own a Mini 14 and the Mini 30. Love them both.
They shoot great.
I use Boxer primed ammo in the 30. Shoots every time all the time.
If I wanted to shoot cheap Russian or Chinese ammo I would shoot an AK or some SKS variant gun.

It's not a Ruger problem. It's a user problem

RC
sandog likes this.
rc229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:06   #20
AC-556 Owner

Originally Posted by rc229 View Post
They shoot great.
If I wanted to shoot cheap Russian or Chinese ammo I would shoot an AK or some SKS variant gun.

RC
Its a Ruger problem.

7.62x39 is a comblock round. Created in Russia.

All Russian guns fire it reliably and their copies. Thompson Encore, Ar mutant, many other carbines all fire it reliably.

Ruger design the gun to fire the russian round and it fails to fire 10-30% of the primers. Thats a ruger issue, not ammo, not user, etc
howard2374 likes this.
Dacotua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:12   #21

See http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...tml#post630193

The advertising video has changed, but the implication is still there that the Mini 30 can handle Russian 7.62x39. What else do you think of when you hear, "7.62x39 is a great low cost round, a plinking round if you will"? Later in the video, he does refer to the ejection of brass, not cases, which I suppose could be construed as a subtle clue. But otherwise, there's no hint that the Mini 30 in fact does not handle low cost 7.62x39 very well at all.

Like the Mini 14, the Mini 30 is what it is, and what it is not is a substitute for an SKS or AK. Anyone considering a Mini 30 purchase should be aware of its ammunition limitations.
gunslinger71973 likes this.

Last edited by freesw; 07-20-2015 at 09:29.
freesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:18   #22

If you go to some of the AR15 themed websites, you will see many complaints of 223 steel cased ammo giving fits to those rifles too. And just like some here have done to help their Mini 30s, stiffer hammer springs and different firing pins did help some.
SAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01   #23

Are the problems with steel cased ammo in AR15s due to the harder primers though? Or is it something about the steel cases? I know there used to be a lot of complaints about the lacquered steel case ammo on AR15 forums. To the point that the companies said fine, we'll gladly switch the lacquer for polymer. It's cheaper.

Unfortunately, polymer doesn't seal as well against corrosion over time. They also switched to polymer on the 7.62x39, much to the consternation of SKS/AK shooters who were perfectly happy with the lacquered. Now lacquered is in demand for its superior storability.
Quentin likes this.
Old 07-20-2015, 17:05   #24

i shoot a lot of steel case out of my ars and mini there are no issues i suspect those guys are shooting frankin guns.about 30 of us get to the range once a month for practice we all shoot steel.we have a shoot coming up this weekend everyone puts in 15 bucks the guy with the most yotes on sunday eve gets the cash.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 19:36   #25

Originally Posted by rc229 View Post
They shoot great.

RC
Would it not benefit Ruger to design the 30 so it CAN fire cheaper ammo? Seems like a win-win to me as one could buy a US made gun and NOT an AK or SKS.

I may be missing something, but how or why is it to Ruger's advantage to sell a rifle chambered in one of the world's most common types of ammo that can't shoot the most common variations thereof?
howard2374 likes this.
jws360 is offline   Reply With Quote