Hickok 45 reviews the mini 30 - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 20:20   #26

Ruger should modify their design to shoot the berdan primed cases...wouldn't take much but a hammer spring and Maybe a firing pin redesign.

I love AK's though!... A milled American made AK in 5.56...?!... That's my cup O' tea right there!... Still wouldn't replace my mini for a coyote gun though... Any day over an AR though!
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 20:27   #27

as #13 above. silvers about 1 of 10 ftf, (only bear I've shot) mil classic the same. both sooty. the classic doesn't group as well.
I have not checked the bolt face. the Chinese ammo I have stashed (fmjAP tungsten core) bangs every shot. groups better than s bear or wolf classic.
the Yugo mil-surp brass cased is even better - berdan primed (mildly corrosive so soapy water clean) clean shooting, groups as fiochhi and PPU.
lapua and sako is the best though.
freesw likes this.
Old 07-21-2015, 17:27   #28
Howard2374

I watched Hichcock's video this morning. Without saying it, no doubt in my mind, he was showing us the firing pin // spring issue in the Ruger. He knew the Russian rounds would mis-fire, in fact he hinted to us early in the video it would happen.

I concur with the folks that said Ruger needs to step up and put in a heavier spring, and possibly redesign the firing pin. Sorry no excuse for misfires with ammo as prevalent as TulAmmo. Ruger designers made a mistake. A redesign is needed. This is the reason I've not ventured forth with my Ruger 7.62x39 desire. I still have a desire for a 7.62x39, but at this point Ruger is not a player.

So, who will go to Bud's to buy the Ruger demonstrated by Hichkock45?
howard2374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2015, 21:00   #29

Originally Posted by howard2374 View Post
I watched Hichcock's video this morning. Without saying it, no doubt in my mind, he was showing us the firing pin // spring issue in the Ruger. He knew the Russian rounds would mis-fire, in fact he hinted to us early in the video it would happen.

I concur with the folks that said Ruger needs to step up and put in a heavier spring, and possibly redesign the firing pin. Sorry no excuse for misfires with ammo as prevalent as TulAmmo. Ruger designers made a mistake. A redesign is needed. This is the reason I've not ventured forth with my Ruger 7.62x39 desire. I still have a desire for a 7.62x39, but at this point Ruger is not a player.

So, who will go to Bud's to buy the Ruger demonstrated by Hichkock45?

Not sure I am following you, if the majority of the steel case rounds fired and a few took a second hammer strike to set them off I don't see why it would be a " firing pin // spring issue". If it were why did most of the rounds go off on first strike, and the ones that did not go off on the first strike went off on the second try. Nothing changed with the firing pin or spring between shots. I think it was cheap ammo which may/may not have not so good primers.

Not bashing your idea just do not see it as you do.

I have the same model Mini30 as he was firing. Bought it about 2 years ago and have somewhere between 1400 and 1600 steel case rounds through it. I have had the same problems, fail to fire first hammer strike, some went off on second try a few still failed after the second try, so did not try again. All failures were with the steel case ammo. I don't know the number of failures I had with steel case, but it was not enough to stop me from using it again or cause me to want to sell the Mini 30. I have also shot around 2000+ rounds of brass with out any problems that I can remember, no fail to fire, no Fail to feed or fail to eject.

Anyone not picking up a Mini30 because someone said, or they read on the internet it is faulty, I think is missing out on a fun rifle to have.

As far as being accurate. The Mini 30 can shoot better than I can shot it so I am more than happy with it's accuracy.

I also have an AR which I also like but if I had to give up one it would be the Mini30 I would be keeping.
sandog likes this.
cncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 21:27   #30

From what I've read, sometimes the firing pin is a little short and doesn't have enough power to crush the anvil in berdan primed cases... Because firing pins can be sized slightly different then some rifles have more issues than others.

I have had a few AK's and have fired at least 15-20,000 rounds through them over the years... 99% are steel cased and berdan primed... Maybe 5 rounds throughout all that failed to fire.

Brownells also seem to agree with the hammer spring idea as they actually wrote an article called mini 30 the brownells way... Or something like that.
Old 07-21-2015, 21:30   #31

The other thing to think about is that Hickok shot different brands of steel cased berdan primed bullets in this video... With roughly the same results.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00   #32
AC-556 Owner

Originally Posted by cncfan View Post
Not sure I am following you, if the majority of the steel case rounds fired and a few took a second hammer strike to set them off I don't see why it would be a " firing pin // spring issue". If it were why did most of the rounds go off on first strike, and the ones that did not go off on the first strike went off on the second try. Nothing changed with the firing pin or spring between shots. I think it was cheap ammo which may/may not have not so good primers.

Not bashing your idea just do not see it as you do.

I have the same model Mini30 as he was firing. Bought it about 2 years ago and have somewhere between 1400 and 1600 steel case rounds through it. I have had the same problems, fail to fire first hammer strike, some went off on second try a few still failed after the second try, so did not try again. All failures were with the steel case ammo. I don't know the number of failures I had with steel case, but it was not enough to stop me from using it again or cause me to want to sell the Mini 30. I have also shot around 2000+ rounds of brass with out any problems that I can remember, no fail to fire, no Fail to feed or fail to eject.

Anyone not picking up a Mini30 because someone said, or they read on the internet it is faulty, I think is missing out on a fun rifle to have.

As far as being accurate. The Mini 30 can shoot better than I can shot it so I am more than happy with it's accuracy.

I also have an AR which I also like but if I had to give up one it would be the Mini30 I would be keeping.
I own a lot of Ruger firearms. I do not own a Mini-30 because of the faulty hammer/pin design on the mini-30. An AK style gun has no issues setting off steel cased ammo. A sks sets them off everytime. A Ruger mini-30 will fail 10-30% of the time.

Its a design issue. The firing pin needs to be slighlty longer or a heavier hammer spring installed. If you put in a heavier hammer spring you risk breaking the firing pins
Dacotua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:13   #33

I stated earlier that if the gun is faulty you figure out what is wrong and fix it or send it back.

A heavier hammer spring is not a big deal and should cost you all of $5.00. Installing it requires nothing more than removing the trigger group and changing the spring out, which is a 5 minute job. Also you could get a spare firing pin from Brownells at the same time. as far as fitting it is concerned does anyone know exactly what "fitting occurs?" pretty sure it isn't too much if any at all. I don't see guys assembling mini bolts having to fit everyone. Seems like they would have designed that problem out of the assembly process along time ago.

Maybe you could put a dab of grease on the sear at that time and improve your trigger pull too.

I consider these problems to be non issues. Like I said if the problem continues then fix it. If one brand of ammo fails frequently then don't use it.

The reason why those rounds weren't firing all the time was that the anvils in the cases weren't punched deep enough. The AK's might hit it a little harder but if the cases were made right in the first place it wouldn't be a problem.

There are many different brands of steel cased 7.62x39 ammo. I can't see being attached to only one.

I just don't get it.

Randy
Misfire51 likes this.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:39   #34

My issue with the whole firing pin thing was that early on, in the build up and launch, Ruger promised that it would fire all steel case without issue.

They even had a cute video showing mixed magazines with steel case and brass.

Then once they had sold me one, based on cheap ammo, suddenly they changed their mind and "did not recommend" it anymore. The video and all evidence of their error disappeared overnight.

That is just poor business practice.

Fix the issue or at least offer an apology to those of us you DUPED.

I had a really sweet deal on a vz58 that day that I miss out on forever because of the mini-30 purchase.
Old 07-22-2015, 14:33   #35

Watched a lot of his videos, and have the time he does not know what he has or is shooting. Guess that's what happens when people give you free s##t all the time . Is he a expert , far from it. He makes videos.
Old 07-22-2015, 15:23   #36
Registered Member

If the Ruger were able to digest Berdan primed ammo on a consistent basis. Ruger would probably have to go with a better quality firing pin and barrel to handle the wear that would go w/ shooting cheap ammo. that would prolly tack on a extra $100-150 to the cost of a already expensive rifle. With the current setup, Ruger's Customer Service Dept. would probably be overwhelmed w/ warranty claims.
The Owners manual also states to use only Brass cases Boxer-primed ammo......but who reads the owners manual before buying a weapon.
Bought my mini-30 a year ago, but have not fired it yet...shame on me! Did buy 1K rounds of S&B Boxer primed brass cased ammo and 4 20 round mags for it.
BryceGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 16:23   #37

Originally Posted by star View Post
They even had a cute video showing mixed magazines with steel case and brass.
I don't recall that specifically, but a few years ago one of their videos clearly used the ready availability of cheap ammo as a selling point, and the only "cheap" 7.62x39 at that time and since is steel case hard Berdan primer Russian (and back then, some Ukrainian and a smattering of Romanian, not enough to matter). The tail end of the (corrosive) surplus Yugo was also still available, but the price had gone up a lot by then. That video was taken down coincidentally with a thread here about the problem (and probably calls and emails about it too).
Old 07-22-2015, 18:13   #38

Not the springs guys. The pin seats when fired. You need to have one of the 100% guys tear down and measure pin length. If somebody sends me a pin, I'll laser scan it on a cmm and make a model for having one made. I did watch the video when it came out and I thought it shot well. Of course he knew he was exposing a known issue. I didn't know about it because I bought an SKS, more accurate and more reliable. Lets get a pin measured up!
Old 07-22-2015, 23:20   #39

Originally Posted by Misfire51 View Post
Watched a lot of his videos, and have the time he does not know what he has or is shooting. Guess that's what happens when people give you free s##t all the time . Is he a expert , far from it. He makes videos.
He doesn't claim to be an expert. He made a couple of videos a few years ago and he got such a good reaction he made a few more and got even bigger reactions. Now he's probably the best known and liked gun related youtuber there is. Largely because he tells you when he's not that familiar with a gun, just giving his impressions, and he comes off as a very likable guy. He definitely knows and loves his Glocks though. He's definitely my favorite, been watching him for a few years.
freesw, star and Viper 1-26 INF like this.
BengalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 19:03   #40

Originally Posted by BryceGS View Post
If the Ruger were able to digest Berdan primed ammo on a consistent basis. Ruger would probably have to go with a better quality firing pin and barrel to handle the wear that would go w/ shooting cheap ammo. that would prolly tack on a extra $100-150 to the cost of a already expensive rifle. With the current setup, Ruger's Customer Service Dept. would probably be overwhelmed w/ warranty claims.
The Owners manual also states to use only Brass cases Boxer-primed ammo......but who reads the owners manual before buying a weapon.
Bought my mini-30 a year ago, but have not fired it yet...shame on me! Did buy 1K rounds of S&B Boxer primed brass cased ammo and 4 20 round mags for it.
Let us know how your gun functions with good ammo.

Randy
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07   #41

Just a couple of thoughts.

First Hickock slightly overstated the price in the video. As of today Buds has three models of the mini 30 in stock. The blued model for $708 and two stainless models for $736 and $784.

On the whole primer strike issue I'm mixed. Personally I have never purchased steel cased ammo for my 5.56 caliber rifles but I recognize that in this caliber many people do use such ammo and the way the ammo is priced it looks like it's a different price range for decent ammo. Perhaps I am not saying this very well but let me try to explain a bit.

This is based on my limited research and I could be wrong but the way it looks to me one can either choose to buy steel cased cheap 7.62x39 ammo at say 23 to 25 cents a round or if you want to get brass cased ammo the price range jumps to 50 cents or even more. So the better ammo really costs a lot. On the other hand I can buy 5.56 brass cased ammo for 33 cents a round. So it seems to me that a 7.62x39 that can't shoot the cheaper ammo is something of a misfit unless you don't mind paying a high price for brass cased ammo.
freesw likes this.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:02   #42

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Let us know how your gun functions with good ammo.
Ammo is fine.