Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 family of rifles

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sandog
  • 1 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By Misfire51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 18:26   #1

Mini-30 and Burris FF III

Back to the range today to test 7.62x39 loads again. I loaded up the same loads as last time, same seating depth, and almost the same powder charges, and shot 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the scope on 7x.
The FMJ shot the best with 27.0 grains, same as last time out at the range. The same 1 1/8" group. The SST, which shot the best group (7/8") before with 27.5 grains, shot the worst group this time, at 3 inches. I did get a 1" group with the SST, but that was with the lightest load of 26.6 grains. Velocity was 2170 fps.
I'm gonna load some more and go up to 28.5 or 29.0 grains of A2015, and see if I can still get the good groups while getting speeds in the 2400 fps. range.
After shooting the test loads, I took the scope off and put on the Burris FastFire III I got on Friday. The Burris #410332 mount for the FF III clamps right on the Ruger Ranch ring. I shot a few of the Hornady SST steel case factory loads I had left to zero the dot, then a friend and I shot at some IPSC targets we had been shooting our 1911's with. We shot the same with the Mini-30 as we were doing with the 1911's. Shooting around bushes, behind the 25 yard target frame as a barricade, shooting with only 3 or 4 rounds in the magazine, so we would have to do a rapid mag change, etc.
Shooting the M30 with the FastFire dot was very fast, and precise. Way more precise than what we were doing with the .45's. Every target was center-punched with a 7.62 hole. Next time out I'll try shooting out further, 100 and 200 yards, with the FF III.

Misfire51 likes this.

Last edited by sandog; 12-07-2017 at 07:30. Reason: replace #^*&%*#% Photobucket pics with Imgur pics
sandog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 18:57   #2

Sandog.. Have you had any issues with that mount? I have read issues with it coming loose and being hard to zero/center.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:30   #3

Sandog, what a great looking setup. I like the fact that with the red dot you have no worries about ejection issues. Itd be interesting to see how well the dot works out to 200. How many moa is the dot on the ff?
Buckshot556 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2015, 19:31   #4

One more question. What kind of magazine is that? I only have a curved 20 rounder. Want to get a flush fit 5 rounder but the one you have looks cool
Buckshot556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 21:32   #5

Buckshot, it's a 3 moa dot. Magazine is a no name 10 rounder that I got with the gun.
Whofarted, it zeroed easy enough. Haven't heard about the mounts not staying tight. After I get done load testing with the 2-7x scope, I'll locktite the FF Mount.
Old 06-07-2015, 21:41   #6

I have a feeling the negative reviews probably coincided with the run of mini's that had canted scallops
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:09   #7

I had turned it down to the lowest setting so the dot would appear perfectly round with no "flare" for sighting in. We left it that way on the lowest setting for shooting the silhouettes and it was very visible in the sunlight. There are 3 more brighter settings but did not need them. I also liked that the dot appeared so crisp to my aging eyes. I like the Aimpoint Patrol I have on an AR, but don't get along well with EOTechs, the reticle appears too fuzzy for me.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:49   #8

Sandog: Good to see you went the Red Dot route. Much faster on target isn't it? Definately suits the personality of the gun better.

I have no problem hitting a 8x10 steel target at 200 yards every single time off a rest with mine with the TRS25 on it. 300 is about 8/10 on the same target.

I learned a little trick last week at my Front Sight Rifle class. When sighting in with a Dot Type sight you use the very top edge of the dot as your POA.

With the normal .223 round, Dead on at 50 yards = Dead on again at 200 and 12" low at 300. You'd have to verify that with the 7.62 x39 round but I bet it is close.

Also by using a 3" Bullseye you would use the top edge against the top edge of the bull and with your 3 MOA Dot size at 50yds., that would put the center of the dot dead on the center of the bull, or more properly right on your intended POA.

While you're at it figure out your bore to sight line offset so that if you need to take a shot at 25 yards or less you can compensate for the offset. On these guns it looks like about 1.5-2". AR's are more

When shooting head shots this makes a huge difference, and everyone needs to know about it.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Mini-30 and Burris FF III-100463963.jpg  
sandog likes this.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:55   #9

Sandog, do you have a pic of that mount ? and who makes it ? Or does it come with the FF Dot. Thanks.
EDIT
Guess I missed the part # in your post . Those are cool little mounts
sandog likes this.