• 1 Post By sewing9000
  • 2 Post By GAMEOVER
  • 7 Post By sandog
  • 3 Post By 40nascar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 18:50   #1
Cyote Down

Mini Synthetic stock

Anyone know if the standard Mini synthetic stock is solid or formed on some type of skeleton framework? Can I drill into it?

C/D
Coyote Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 18:54   #2

It looks like it's injection molded so it is probably solid.
6gungalahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13   #3
KMO

I have found the factory synthetic stocks to be of the mostly-hollow variety. Hogue synthetic stocks, however, are solid (and preferable in my opinion)...

Old 07-06-2014, 19:31   #4

If only a Hogue stock WORKED!

Originally Posted by KMO View Post
I have found the factory synthetic stocks to be of the mostly-hollow variety. Hogue synthetic stocks, however, are solid (and preferable in my opinion)...
I've tried no fewer than 3 Hogue stocks. including one Ruger branded one. None worked with many of my standard factory 10 round magazines. Some mags did and others did not.

I do not know why this is so, but Hogue admitted to some issues. Ruger sent me all new Mags, but I still had issues with some (severe binding to the point that only releasing the trigger group could get them out).

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts I'd like to hear them as I much preferred the Hogue stock. Have one on my 10/22 and its great.
CrustyShellback likes this.
jws360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:33   #5

I have a Hogue and my 20 round magazines work fine, I've never tried the 10 rounders. I have heard here of others having problems with Ruger 10 round mags and 30 round ones, but never heard of issues with the 20 rounders.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40   #6

I've beard somewhat similar

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I have a Hogue and my 20 round magazines work fine, I've never tried the 10 rounders. I have heard here of others having problems with Ruger 10 round mags and 30 round ones, but never heard of issues with the 20 rounders.
I'ver also seen anecdotal comments along these lines.

Makes no sense to me. ALL should fit.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:56   #7

took it to my gunsmith...

Bought a Houge stock for my mini30 and it didn't fit, took it to my gunsmith and he fit it to my rifle, Didn't cost much and works perfectly. It spared me all kinds of aggravation.
crcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:20   #8

I had to make one of my hogue stocks fit also. It had a high spot that would hit the front left corner of the receiver and caused an issue when locking the trigger in place. Plus I had to remove material to even get my trigger group inside the stock. Kinda irritating but I made it work. I never had issues with the magazines though. I'm not sure what's going on with hogue lately... But as far as drilling the factory stock I don't see why it wouldn't work depending on what you plan on mounting. I've done it and mounted rails for hand stops and afg's, seems to hold up fine.

Last edited by Lemur Man; 07-07-2014 at 10:22. Reason: Spelling
Lemur Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27   #9

In my experience the hogue overmold stock is not a true "drop in"stock, and must be fitted. I don't like them. Stick with a factory stock and modify it (IMHO).
CrustyShellback and Arky boy like this.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:08   #10
Walking Dead

I'm in the club of Hogue stock = POS

Loved it on my gun, felt great... was pumped to get to the range. But, it refused to load a single 10 rnd magazine (out of 6). 5 rounders only and they got jammed up, half the time.

Not a happy camper after trying two.
40nascar likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:19   #11

I don't get this.

Originally Posted by CrustyShellback View Post
I'm in the club of Hogue stock = POS

Loved it on my gun, felt great... was pumped to get to the range. But, it refused to load a single 10 rnd magazine (out of 6). 5 rounders only and they got jammed up, half the time.

Not a happy camper after trying two.
I had a similar experience. 3 or 4 out of 10 10 round mags worked. The rest jammed up tight to the point that I had to unlatch the trigger guard to get them out.

Much preferred by far the Hogue to the stock unit by far, but it just doesn't work.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56   #12

Same here. The Hogue doesn't seem to be the best choice.
40nascar likes this.
matt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 15:01   #13

As to the OPs question, Ruger synthetic stock is hollow. You can drill into it and put a washer and nut on the inside.
40nascar likes this.
BugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 15:36   #14

I have had good success using JB weld in the forearms of stocks that are hollow and spray on foam in the butt stocks to stop them from flexing . In my Ruger 77 boat paddle stock i ground it out and place a steel rod in the bottom of the forearm and JB weld over the top . Mad the stock very ridged , no twisting or flexing .
RCE1 and 40nascar like this.
UtahRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:47   #15
Registered Member

Have a 583 ss which came with black synthetic stock. I bought a Hogue 3 yrs ago and seemed to work well. I decided to try wood stock a year ago, and like it. The Hogue was stored in a hot attic and decided to try it again. Nothing but problems including light strikes and failure to eject. It appeared that op rod was hitting the stock. Tried to adjust many times and find frustrating. Fortunately, synthetic and wood work fine. Moral of story. Do not store Hogue stock in hot attic.
40nascar likes this.
sewing9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 14:23   #16
Suck it Leftists!

Originally Posted by Coyote Down View Post
Anyone know if the standard Mini synthetic stock is solid or formed on some type of skeleton framework? Can I drill into it?

C/D
IMO. The factory Mini synthetic stock is hollow on the butt stock up to the grip, From the grip forward it’s solid. There is one center support stringer in the butt stock that runs horizontally from the butt to the grip.
40nascar and sandog like this.
Old 08-05-2020, 14:32   #17

Way to go sewing9000!
Been a member here for 5 years, and you finally make a first post.
(to resurrect a 6 year old thread).

It's like not being able to look away from a car wreck. I have to look and see who resurrected an old thread, and it's always a guy with 1 post.
hylander, r80rt, 40nascar and 4 others like this.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 14:57   #18
Formerly "raf"

Originally Posted by Coyote Down View Post

C/D
Can you describe what you are trying to accomplish? Often, the end goal defines the means for achieving it. Be as specific as possible.
RIBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 22:00   #19

Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Way to go sewing9000!
Been a member here for 5 years, and you finally make a first post.
(to resurrect a 6 year old thread).

It's like not being able to look away from a car wreck. I have to look and see who resurrected an old thread, and it's always a guy with 1 post.
Some people have to work 6 yrs. In the pits before they take a car out on the track.
r80rt, sandog and SMOGGUY like this.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote