Sight recommendations - Shooting Sports Forum

Ruger 10/22 Anything about the Ruger 10/22 family of rifles.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.T.
  • 1 Post By jumpluff
  • 3 Post By jumpluff
  • 2 Post By cavtrpr340
  • 2 Post By 2rangers
  • 3 Post By Beck
  • 2 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By RJF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 14:03   #1

Sight recommendations

I hate the stock flip-up notch rear site. It's difficult to see through, particularly when zeroed for 25 yards (for my local range). The front post is "good enough" for my use.

I have tech-sights on my Mini, and absolutely love them! But, tech-sights for the 10/22 are about 1/2 the cost of the rifle!

Any recommendations out there for the 10/22? Just cry once and buy the tech-sights? Would you recommend putting the rail on and mounting sights here or using the screw mount by itself?
2rangers likes this.

No Step On Snek!
Mr.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 18:01   #2

I have the 10/22 M1 Carbine model. Its sites are way better than the normal 10/22. You might want to consider a red dot. Or even a scope.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 18:49   #3

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
I have the 10/22 M1 Carbine model. Its sites are way better than the normal 10/22. You might want to consider a red dot. Or even a scope.
Hmm... I considered a cheapo red dot, but I do like having irons. I find them more fun for short range plinking.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:37   #4

Just cry once and buy the tech-sights.
I have found nothing else better or more cost effective.
YMMV
2rangers likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:51   #5

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
YMMV
Ya, it's probably heading that way.

Do you have the rail mounted version, or did you mount it directly on the rifle?

No Step On Snek!
Old 06-15-2019, 14:50   #6

I have the version that mounts directly on the rifle (MODEL TSR200). I am not much of an optics guy so I don't use a rail generally speaking. I love the Tech-Sights and frankly can't understand why Ruger has not made peep sights the factory standard for the 10/22. I can't imagine the cost would be that great, and I would gladly pay it.

If what you want is a cheap 22 rifle....they are available....and they are most certainly cheap in every sense of the word.

So I should think Ruger would not lose many if any sales because of an increase in the cost due to the peep sights....but perhaps not all are a big a fan of them as I am.
2rangers, Beck and Mr.T. like this.
Old 06-16-2019, 14:33   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	1022.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	54596You might like the old Williams peep sights. put a set of these on my 10/22 in the mid 80's and never seen a reason to change them. they work very well.
gunn308 and Mr.T. like this.
cavtrpr340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 21:10   #8

Originally Posted by cavtrpr340 View Post
Attachment 54596You might like the old Williams peep sights. put a set of these on my 10/22 in the mid 80's and never seen a reason to change them. they work very well.
Plus it gives you a longer sight plane I have the same but I put a day glo up front.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50   #9

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
YMMV
^^^^This^^^^
The tech sights offer everything you would need in a sight system, and are click adjustable. They aren't cheap, but if they help you get hits, than that is what is needed.
It's just like AR triggers. If you want a good one, you will pay 250-300$ for it. There aren't any real exceptions. You buy a geissele, you cry over the price, and you move on.
Get the tech sights, mount them correctly, zero the rifle, and know you can get the hits when needed.
jumpluff and Beck like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 19:40   #10

IMO the Tech Sights are the cat's meow, but I have the Williams peep back on the receiver as above, and I doubt anything else could do enough to improve upon it to justify the cost. I have a basic stock no frills 10/22 from the late 1980s. It was surprisingly accurate right out of the box, and is more so with the peep sight and the longer sight radius.

I think a guy could be happy with either one if you were starting from nothing but the stock flip-up. One thing I like better on the Williams is the ease of changing to different size screw in apertures, or leave the aperture out for a ghost ring effect. I also like the lower profile of the Williams.

Another option is the Skinner sight. That may be an even bigger cat's meow, and at around $90.00 it better be...

By the way I prefer the shorter Skinner apertures and use them in my Williams.
2rangers, jumpluff and gunn308 like this.
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:41   #11

I have the version that mounts directly on the rifle (MODEL TSR200). I am not much of an optics guy so I don't use a rail generally speaking. I love the Tech-Sights and frankly can't understand why Ruger has not made peep sights the factory standard for the 10/22. I can't imagine the cost would be that great, and I would gladly pay it.

If what you want is a cheap 22 rifle....they are available....and they are most certainly cheap in every sense of the word.

So I should think Ruger would not lose many if any sales because of an increase in the cost due to the peep sights....but perhaps not all are a big a fan of them as I am.
Jump: Several of Ruger's 10/22 models come with Peep sights. Mine Did and they were dead on from the factory. Then I mounted a TRS 25 Red Dot and be damned It was dead on out of the box!

With a .22LR using regular Hi-Speed ammo (1250 fps) you are sighting dead on at 75 yards. You will be 1" high at 50 yards and 3" low at 100.

Been sighting my .22's like this since I read an article in Outdoor Life Magazine by Jack O'Connor in 1962!

Randy

Attached Thumbnails
Sight recommendations-ruger-1022-1.jpg   Sight recommendations-100464151.jpg   Sight recommendations-100464148.jpg  
2rangers and jumpluff like this.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:32   #12
RJF

I like W.R.'s point. I chose to put a Simmons 3-9X40 scope on mine, if for no other reason than my eyes and availability of other .22LR carbines and rifles with irons to tickle my fancy for irons. Fits nicely for my preferences.

It is a low-cost plinker I bought in the early '80s and, other than the scope, is factory stock. It was good enough for me then, and good enough for me now. But I have a spare TRS-25 available should I change my mind...
2rangers likes this.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote