M1 Carbine in .357 Magnum? - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By clydesdalekevin
  • 2 Post By Foxhole49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 11:39   #1
Grumpy MAGA man.

M1 Carbine in .357 Magnum?

Does anyone know if anyone sells the M1 Carbine platform in .357 Magnum...or if anyone has ever done a conversion? It looks doable to me, and it would be pretty cool to own and shoot one. I would definitely buy one to add to my gun safe.

Kev
Rockys Pop likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clydesdalekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:18   #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9rxjcyAj0
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:11   #3

"A lot of people have tried, none successful." Yup. Feeding issues, and bolt issues. I do have a Universal M-1 carbine in 357. It started out as a 256 Win Mag, which is a 357 case necked down to 25 caliber. It is a one off, done By Robert Snapp of MI. He was a very renowned single shot gunsmith in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. He took on this project as a challenge. As he told me, he enjoyed the challenge, and is glad that he did it, but he wouldn't do another one! Ever! Period! He did this about 35-40 years ago.

It was very problematic because, as it turned out, the case didn't head space on the rim, but rather the shoulder. Ream out the chamber and the shoulder is gone. Snapp fixed the issue by installing a hardened pin, horizontally, in the chamber, .The gun now head spaces on that pin. Gun functions 100%, but I have only one 5 round magazine, and have been unable to find any more. It is plastic, so fabrication of more mags is prohibitively expensive, IF anyone would even be willing to try.

I also have a M-1 carbine in 9mm Win Mag that functions 98%, but try and find ammo these days. It was made about 35 years ago.
Sparkie and Icanthitabarn2 like this.
Foxhole49 is offline   Reply With Quote