Finally jumped onto the .17 bandwagon... - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree28Likes
  • 4 Post By Turkeestalker
  • 5 Post By dh1633pm
  • 4 Post By Turkeestalker
  • 2 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By Turkeestalker
  • 2 Post By dh1633pm
  • 2 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 2 Post By Roverhound
  • 2 Post By Turkeestalker
  • 2 Post By Roverhound
  • 2 Post By pukindog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 15:16   #1

Finally jumped onto the .17 bandwagon...

Picked this up from my FFL guy this afternoon.
Never much felt the urge to try a .17, but the stock on this one caught my eye.
Picked up one of the Bushnell A17 scopes tailored specifically to the rifle off fleaBay for $60, and three new mags off of GB for $45.
Looking forward to the extended holiday weekend.

Some 35 years ago, I came across a thumbhole stocked Remington, chambered in .17 Bee that I absolutely fell in love with, but I walked away from her and it's always bugged me.
No where near in the same class, but maybe I'm trying to make up for that a little?

So, who has some experience with the .17 HMR, maybe in the Savage A-17 specifically?
Any comments, hints, or advice to share?
Attached Thumbnails
Finally jumped onto the .17 bandwagon...-img_20200902_170752019.jpg  
2rangers, Sparkie, Bepe and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Turkeestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:41   #2

I love that stock. Give it to me! I don't have a Savage. I did have one but I sold it and got a Steyr. It was a nice rifle until the Steyr caught my eye. Just like that nice stock.
2rangers, Sparkie, Bepe and 2 others like this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:55   #3

That's what sunk me, that and the accu-trigger.
The photo doesn't do the greens and browns justice.
I bought the youngest his first rifle on his 10th birthday, bolt action 22mag.
He got a Savage with the accu-trigger, and damned that's a nice trigger in a tack driving little package.
I've an old Anschutz 22mag and it's a toss up on which has the better trigger.
I'm expecting this one to at least be adjustable to a comparable measure.
Sparkie, dh1633pm, Bepe and 1 others like this.

Old 09-02-2020, 17:01   #4

That stock really is nice. Mine had a composite stock. I like 17 caliber. I purchased a lot of ammo for it a while ago. Its fast. Kills varmints nicely.
Sparkie and Turkeestalker like this.
Old 09-02-2020, 23:59   #5

I looked up the Steyr .17, that Zephyr is a beautiful rifle.
Sparkie likes this.

Old 09-04-2020, 15:52   #6

Mine is the RFR in 17. I don't think its actually a Steyr. But I like it.
Old 09-04-2020, 23:35   #7
Honor our Constitution !

A good friends Son had a .17 HMR Marlin heavy barreled bolt gun........he set it up for me to shoot an empty Pepsi can off a fencepost @ +/- 100 yds.
I took 4 shots at it & it never moved so I offered him the rifle back, thinking i'd missed.
He handed me his spotter scope & I had hit 4/4 into the small second p that I was aiming for.
The tiny bullet moved SO FAST that the can never moved !
Old 09-06-2020, 02:25   #8

17 HMR is an awesome round but I wanted a tad more so I stepped up to a 17 HH.
1300 fps faster and a reloadable case. What's not to love?
The 17 calibers in any form are fun to shoot and deadly on varmints.
Rockys Pop and Turkeestalker like this.
Roverhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:58   #9

1300 fps faster is almost insane!
Then again I got some 55gr. ballistic tip Noslers tipping just over 4k fps out of my .240 Weatherby years back, and holding together out to 200 yards, but that's the furthest I ever shot them at paper.

So I made a quick trip to Bush Wildlife today with the .17 and I'm impressed.
I only fired about 30 rounds, and half of those were at 7 yards because my bore sight won't fit smaller than a .22, and I had to get her where I wanted her on the paper.
Fired two groups of five rounds at 50 yards, and could easily cover both with a dime.
I'm happy with that for her maiden voyage, and optimistic about her potential.

I'll take her back out tomorrow with the new Charter and my shooting buddy.
Sparkie and Rockys Pop like this.

Old 09-06-2020, 18:12   #10
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
17 HMR is an awesome round but I wanted a tad more so I stepped up to a 17 HH.
1300 fps faster and a reloadable case. What's not to love?
The 17 calibers in any form are fun to shoot and deadly on varmints.
just curious......is that a "barrel burner" like the "Bee" and "Hornet" calibers used to be?
Old 09-07-2020, 04:52   #11

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
just curious......is that a "barrel burner" like the "Bee" and "Hornet" calibers used to be?
The amount of powder used is so low that the heat really doesn't build up like you would think.
There are even faster 17's out there like the .17 Remington at 4000 fps.
The one thing I will say is that with the 17 you need to keep the barrel clean. I notice a drop in accuracy after about 25 shots or so.
Powders used for it are quick burning like Lil Gun and 296.
Lil Gun can be a little unstable so I'm going to work more on loads with CFE BLK and see what the rifle likes.
It has been shooting factory ammunition so well that I haven't done much loading for it in a while.
I also want to load some of the Hornady 15.5 gr bullets. It loves those from the factory. That should net me right around 3800 fps.
Roverhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:07   #12

That is a good looking rifle thanks to that stock.

I bought a .17 about 17 years ago but as it turns out it was the wrong .17 since it is .17 Mach II, not an HMR. Those (and the ammo) seem pretty rare these days and unfortunately like all rimfires it is not easily reloadable.
pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote