Another PCC-9 - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree48Likes
  • 5 Post By Bepe
  • 3 Post By whofarted
  • 4 Post By whofarted
  • 3 Post By dh1633pm
  • 2 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By HopalongCassidy
  • 2 Post By HopalongCassidy
  • 4 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine
  • 1 Post By Bepe
  • 2 Post By HopalongCassidy
  • 2 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By whofarted
  • 2 Post By whofarted
  • 1 Post By GAMEOVER
  • 1 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By GAMEOVER
  • 2 Post By jumpluff
  • 1 Post By whofarted
  • 5 Post By jumpluff
  • 3 Post By whofarted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 14:02   #1

Another PCC-9

Picked up a GP 100 .44 Spl a year or so back when they first came out. Inspection looked good. Finally got it to the range a short time ago. Handloads of 8.0 grs Power Pistol and a Hornady 200 gr XTP. The gun shot a one hole ragged group at 30'.....problem was the group was on the right edge of the paper. I moved the rear sight all the way to the left until no adjustment left. Still shot to the right. After getting it home and a very close inspection of looking down the top of the frame ...you could see the barrel was slightly cocked to the right.

A few days before the COVID mania hit I called Ruger and they emailed me a shipping label to New Hampshire. They called me end of week. The gun is toast. We'll give you a new one for zip.

Hmmmm...how about a PCC-9 instead. OK...not a problem. Model #19124 will be at the LGS in two weeks with my name on it.

I figured the PCC will be a better SHTF weapon instead of the 5 shot GP. I already have a standard PCC-9. Ruger came out with the AR style after I had bought mine. I wanted the AR style but wasn't going to spend the bucks on a duplicate rifle.

Geared up with a load of Glock mags and a Trijicon RMR laying in the box. Just waiting for delivery.

I'll keep you all filled in.

Bepe

Last edited by Bepe; 05-07-2020 at 15:02.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 14:17   #2

Heres my take on the PCC9

Original sporter/classic set up is awesome
Tactical non pistol grip version with barrel shroud fugly
Tactical with pistol grip right back to awesome

nice addition
jumpluff, r80rt and Bepe like this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 14:41   #3

If I could afford the sporter I would be all over it. I think a pistol caliber carbine is genius for suburban life.

Of course being in California would require me to neuter the pistol grip version to a fixed mag which defeats the purpose

Old 04-05-2020, 17:18   #4

Nice Bepe. One day I will pick up one, but I have to have the boring one.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:31   #5

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
Nice Bepe. One day I will pick up one, but I have to have the boring one.
DH...check the Ruger web site. They have introduced several new models. They have the AR style with a fixed stock and non threaded barrel that is also "State Compliant". All the "State Compliant" models are duly marked. You may have to call Ruger to check out which states are applicable.

I thought I was going to have to go with the more standard selection but the Ruger rep checked and the #19124 is state compliant in my local. Tough to figure the crazy laws.

After owning my standard PCC for a bit I'll have to agree with Who on the pistol caliber carbine being absolutely ingenious for urban use. I have no qualms about the two PCC's filling a major role in the defense battery.

Bepe
Old 04-07-2020, 06:27   #6
Gunslinger

We can only get the basic model here in CA. Curious as to whether that other configuration is heavier.
Everything is restricted here except the weather. Been Spring for a month already.
Here’s mine with Romeo5
Attached Thumbnails
Another PCC-9-612706c3-fce9-4d50-bc74-a01ec64bf51b.jpg  
Bepe likes this.
HopalongCassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:08   #7
Gunslinger

Ok, did the homework.
The AR style is half a pound heavier at 7.3 vs 6.8 pounds.
Unfortunately my trifocals eyes still suck.
Marlin 45 carbine and Bepe like this.
Old 04-12-2020, 14:37   #8

Happened to hit the LGS on Friday just to check in. Owner told me my PCC had arrived. Dang I thought it was going to be three weeks. Not complaining. Got it home and tore it down for a cleaning and inspection.

Certainly a different animal than the early introduction Sporter sitting in my safe. I believe Ruger tweaked several areas of concern that they had with the initial introduction.

This is the AR style and has many model specific differences than the regular stocked version. The collapsible stock and bracket bolts into the rear hole on the receiver, that would normally be the rear bolt on the stocked model. The receiver shroud is then slid on the receiver and bolted where the front sporter stock bolt would be. A through bolt then goes through the stock bracket and attaches to the pistol grip. A pretty slick design that appears to really lock the rear of the receiver in place. Solid and flex free.

Upon tearing it down for cleaning it appears the extractor and spring have been beefed up. Trigger group was the same. On my original Sporter there was a notation in the manual that the older one side slot Glock mags would only work with the mag release button on the left side. The old Glock mags wouldn't work with the release on either side on this model so I installed a Ruger Extended mag release on the right side to match the charging handle. The newer double slot Glock mags work flawless with A Zoom snap caps and fall free with a push of the mag release.

The barrel tension ring has been changed. It appears the adjustment clicks are in a much larger increments. Adjustment goes from loose...to snug....to no go in a matter of three or four clicks. Much nicer than the early models.

Barrel shroud is held by four bolts on the rear. Solid as a rock. A QD sling hole on each side at the rear of the chassis. Got to get an MagPul M Lok QD sling mount for the front barrel shroud so I can use the QD Blue Force sling. I'll put a Pic rail on the right side for a light setup like my Mini's. I mounted the Trijicon RMR on the front barrel rail. The riser is a little short for the AR stock styling causing me to crunch my head to see the dot. I ordered up a higher riser from Trijicon.

All in all much better tolerances and fitting on this model. Heavier and bulkier than the Sporter. Two different animals. Different features unique to both that I like. I plan on keeping both.

Now just have to wait until the range opens or SHTF.

Regards Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Another PCC-9-dscn4439.jpg   Another PCC-9-dscn4434.jpg   Another PCC-9-dscn4435.jpg  

Last edited by Bepe; 05-07-2020 at 15:03.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:44   #9

Lever action carbine in .357 and .44 mag has the energy and range over the semi-auto 9mm and .45cap however consider ye suitability for the possibility of urban gunfight the semi-auto with rate of fire and hi-cap magazine swap has the edge by far.
Hunting purpose the lever likely is best choice for most (just IMO, I don't own a lever - action but would like to have a .357 companion for my GP100 Ruger). I've shot a buddy'sMarlin he loads 158 gr. SJSP that really have wallop on 1/2" steel hot rolled swinging discs I fab for shoot our carbines.
Bepe likes this.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:06   #10

Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
Lever action carbine in .357 and .44 mag has the energy and range over the semi-auto 9mm and .45cap however consider ye suitability for the possibility of urban gunfight the semi-auto with rate of fire and hi-cap magazine swap has the edge by far.
Hunting purpose the lever likely is best choice for most (just IMO, I don't own a lever - action but would like to have a .357 companion for my GP100 Ruger). I've shot a buddy'sMarlin he loads 158 gr. SJSP that really have wallop on 1/2" steel hot rolled swinging discs I fab for shoot our carbines.
I agree 100% Marlin. In the event of TEOTWAWKI the PCC's will be issued to the more novice of shooters in the support group. Able to throw lead at a high rate with easy recoil and minimal muzzle blast. Shouldn't be too intimidating. Add the fact that 9mm ammo is small and transports easy....is cheap as dirt and is applicable to a few semi handguns I have, makes it a no brainer on having these in the stable. I'll be geared up with my Mini 30.

For the normal hunting role of carbine and handgun I have my TC Encore and S&W 629 in .44 Magnum. The 9mm is like a pop gun compared to the .44 Magnum when it is stuffed with a max load of H110.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Another PCC-9-dscn4215.jpg   Another PCC-9-dscn2183.jpg  
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:49   #11
Gunslinger

.44 Magnum is above my pay grade.
Sold my S&W model 64, 10 years ago when I had my first thumb joint replacement.
Had the other thumb joint replaced a few years ago as well.
I may be all pop gun, but I’m all in with heart. Lol.
Check your mail today.
Hoppy
Old 04-13-2020, 15:57   #12

Originally Posted by HopalongCassidy View Post
.44 Magnum is above my pay grade.
Sold my S&W model 64, 10 years ago when I had my first thumb joint replacement.
Had the other thumb joint replaced a few years ago as well.
I may be all pop gun, but I’m all in with heart. Lol.
Check your mail today.
Hoppy
I'll shoot the full house out of the carbine. The revolver gets a heavy Spl. handload. As I've gotten older, I can't take the recoil and blast.

Drop you a PM tomorrow.
Bepe
Old 05-07-2020, 13:39   #13

33 round fun stick

Finally got the high mount for the Trijicon RMR. Took about a month. The RMR was mounted on the low mount and was too low with the AR style stock.

Trijicon only offered the low at .75" off of rail to center of optic and the high at 1.45" off of rail to center of optic. No choice with a medium so I rolled the dice and ordered the high.

I was worried that it would be too high. Got it yesterday and mounted it up. Closed my eyes, shouldered the rifle and opened my eyes. The dot was dead nuts in the center of the screen. Bingo.

Was at the LGS the other day and the owner was showing me his new 9mm top end for his AR. Don't know what brand but it was decent. He set up his Dillon for 9mm and was asking me what I had been shooting. He has been having trouble getting components, so I tossed him a 100 of the 115 grain Hornady HAP bullets I've been shooting to try. 6.7 grains (max per Hornady manual) and the 115 HAP is lights out accurate. One hole performance and smoking. Nice crack for a report.

He appreciated the bullets and info and tossed me a package back. A new 33 round fun stick. It is marked SGM Tactical on the side and SHK Mag, Made in Korea on the end plate. It appears high quality. Heavy and solid. Metal feed lip liners and the metal lined holes in the back for round count.

Ranges still closed and I'm losing my mind. Can't wait to get a try with this mag. Anyone know any info on them. Reminds me of the Korean Mini 30 mags. Heavy and solid.

Any info would be appreciated. I'm thinking of ordering some more.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Another PCC-9-dscn4458.jpg   Another PCC-9-dscn4462.jpg   Another PCC-9-dscn4463.jpg   Another PCC-9-dscn4466.jpg  
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:05   #14

So when are you gettin a PCC9 charger?
Bepe likes this.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:49   #15

Not my cup of tea. Haven't checked but I'd guess that they are banned for sale here. Just for kicks I'll ask next time I'm at the store.

Bepe
Old 05-09-2020, 19:48   #16

I'd want one of each.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:39   #17
Banned

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Hmmmm...how about a PCC-9 instead. OK...not a problem. Model #19124 will be at the LGS in two weeks with my name on it.

I figured the PCC will be a better SHTF weapon instead of the 5 shot GP. I already have a standard PCC-9. Ruger came out with the AR style after I had bought mine. I wanted the AR style but wasn't going to spend the bucks on a duplicate rifle.

Geared up with a load of Glock mags and a Trijicon RMR laying in the box. Just waiting for delivery.

I'll keep you all filled in.

Bepe

I like the Ruger carbine. Couple of years ago, as soon as it made its way onto my state's "approved" list, I bought a CZ Scorpion carbine, which I love. I've been tempted from time to time to convert it but the temptation usually passes. Works nicely with my 9mm suppressor.
LousyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:27   #18
Suck it Leftists!

My son wants to get into the pistol caliber carbine game and has his sights set on the Ruger PCC model 19122. At the moment he can’t find one in-stock anywhere.
Bepe likes this.
Old 05-15-2020, 14:09   #19

Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
My son wants to get into the pistol caliber carbine game and has his sights set on the Ruger PCC model 19122. At the moment he can’t find one in-stock anywhere.
I was lucky to get this one. As a replacement, Ruger shipped direct from the factory to the gun shop. I timed it just right as the Ruger rep told me they were just coming off of the assembly line. Had to pay for the transfer but no other cost.

The gun store was pretty much wiped out of anything decent.

GO....tell the son to hang patient. These are a nice unit. Well worth the wait. He'll be happy when he gets it.

Bepe
GAMEOVER likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:31   #20
Suck it Leftists!

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
I was lucky to get this one. As a replacement, Ruger shipped direct from the factory to the gun shop. I timed it just right as the Ruger rep told me they were just coming off of the assembly line. Had to pay for the transfer but no other cost.

The gun store was pretty much wiped out of anything decent.

GO....tell the son to hang patient. These are a nice unit. Well worth the wait. He'll be happy when he gets it.

Bepe
You are right and I told him to be patient but you know how the younger generation is with instant gratification. He is still considering the High Point carbine but I told him he would eventually regret it.
Bepe likes this.
Old 05-16-2020, 14:41   #21

I own both the Hi-Point 995 TS and the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm and really like them both. Actually I go way back to the old days and own the original Hi-Point 995 and the original Ruger PC9. Yes...I really like pistol caliber carbines!

If it were a situation where one could only have one then that might require a significant ponder, but if a person likes pistol caliber carbines I would actually recommend owning both.

My two cents...if the 995 TS is available now then get it and start having fun and keep your eyes peeled for the PC Carbine and get it when it is available.

I can't imagine anyone having any regrets in owning both of these fine rifles. I sure don't.

Twice the gun...twice the fun!

YMMV
GAMEOVER and Bepe like this.
Old 05-16-2020, 16:06   #22

I own a 995ts, it now has a fin grip on it(CA Compliant) but i never was able to remove the bullet button. If I could have an unneutered 995 I would absolutely trust it with my life
jumpluff likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05   #23

Agreed. I am blessed to live in a free region, and so am unfettered by silly attempts to suck the joy out of the use of firearms.

To echo Bepe, I have never really understood those who advocate for a pistol in 9mm (or any other caliber for that matter) and then say that a PCC is foolish and unsuitable for self-defense?

I am a poor shot with a pistol and a much better shot with a rifle. I hope I never need to find out...but I really believe that either the Hi-Point or the Ruger are sufficiently reliable that the liberal and rapid delivery of 9mm copper jacketed lead welcoming gifts from either would provide me reasonable odds of living to see another sunrise.
r80rt, whofarted, Bepe and 2 others like this.
Old 05-17-2020, 18:36   #24

I agree with jumpluff.... I was a kid raised with daisy bb guns. I would feel way more comfortable putting rounds center mass @ suburban defensive distances under stress with a carbine than a pistol. A PCC is definitely on my list of toys I "need".

with all that said my go to defensive weapon is currently a 9mm pistol with a crimson trace green laser as a crutch.
jumpluff, Bepe and SMOGGUY like this.