Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By W.R.Buchanan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2020, 11:35   #1

Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock

Got one of these last fall.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product-a...W97K_Blue/2141

Haven't done too much since I was just moving into a new house. Was bored today so I took it out to shoot in the back yard. Hard to site in with the heavy winds we are getting. It was fun to be able to shoot without having to drive a long way. Got the springer because I didn't want to invest right now in air.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 00:00   #2
Honor our Constitution !

H. Weirauch has always made excellent products......I have an older SAA copy from his German factory and it's a little beefier and actually better than a Colt. (YMMV)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:37   #3

It gives me a chance to practice at the house without disturbing the neighbors.

Old 04-10-2020, 19:23   #4

I have 4 Weihrauch Rifles. My first was a HW35 EB .177 made for Beemans in 1978. My second was a HW77 .22 the Predecessor to the HW97. My wife bought that for my birthday in 1991.

Third was purchased at a gun show a few year ago and it is a Beeman R1 or HW80. It is a beast and weighs 10.0 lbs! .22 cal and shoots hard. I have actually knocked down Rimfire Silhouette Targets at 100 yards with that gun! Trajectory was a bit steep like 3 feet above, and the sun was behind me so you could see the pellets go downrange.

The last one was another HW35E .177 that I got year before last from a gun store that didn't know what it was. $60! Required some TLC and a stock refinish, but is a nice gun now.

These guns are all excellent shooters! and anyone looking for a quality Air Rifle should look no further.

Also one of the best sources for the best quality pellets and accessories is www.pyramydair.com They also sell just about every gun known to man.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails
Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-100464627.jpg   Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-100464621.jpg   Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-100464619.jpg   Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-20140655.jpg  
Old 04-11-2020, 12:31   #5

Nice Rifles! Glad to see you posting. I have been practicing a bit with mine. Trying to get it sighted in just right. I am slow. Can hit the posts on my backyard chain link fence at will. No dime groups at the bull yet. Don't really have a good setup to steady things quite yet. But I will. Was trying out some copper pellets on Thursday.
Old 04-13-2020, 16:31   #6

Goto www.pyramydair.com and have a look at their selection of pellets. Like every one known to man.

You will NOT get decent performance from your gun with Crossman Pellets from Walmart or any of the cheap crap. The good stuff is not that expensive and you can literally buy a lifetime supply for $50! Just stick with the two top brands and you won't be disappointed.

Your gun will probably shoot best with either JSB brand or H&N brand pellets.

With a decent scope mounted your gun should be virtually one hole at 10 meters.

You don't need anything beyond a table with a block of wood and a towel on it so the gun can slide fore and aft freely. Gripping it loosely so it can move on the rest. It's only going to move 1/4-1/2" anyway.

This is known as the "Artillery Hold," and is the agreed upon best way to shoot for accuracy with a Spring Powered Air Gun.

The problem with Spring Powered Air Guns is that the pellet is still in the barrel for a long time during the recoil impulse which starts as the piston starts moving forward.. As such if the gun is allowed to move strait back it has less influence on the shot than if you try to hold it in any given position. The trick is to get it to move "Strait Back."

I have a piece of 6x6 with a towel on it for my rest in my shop.

Sight the gun in Dead on at 10 yards. It will be 1" high at 20 and 30 yards and dead on again at 40 yards.

Didn't notice if you got a .177 or .22 cal gun, but both will shoot about the same trajectory. Obviously you'll have to play with it to see exactly what it is doing with the pellets you choose.

Hot Tip: once you find two or three pellets that shoot good,,, Stick with them. Just like with firearms when you change one thing in a load it changes everything and you get to start all over with your sighting in because the Trajectory has changed..

You've probably noticed that I generally find a decent load that shoots well in any given gun and then I just keep shooting it. I have tried exactly one load in my Scout Rifle and saw no need to go farther. I do this with all my guns,,, Rifles, Pistols and Shotguns.

With my .44 rifle I have 3 loads. 1 ea. .44 Special Load which can also be used in my Ruger BH and S&W 696 pistols, and the rifle in a pinch. 1 ea. Mid Range .44 Magnum Load for plinking with the SBH and Rifle and 1 ea. Full Power Load for the SBH and Rifle. both the SBH and Rifle are sighted in with the hot load and all the weaker ones just need some extra elevation when shooting them. Windage is usually fixed between loads as none of them are hot enough to skew.

All my Auto pistols (Glocks) get one load for .40 S&W and .45 ACP. The .40 PCC uses the same pistol load. If I had a .45 ACP rifle it would get the pistol loads too.

Now the Shotguns,,, All My 12 ga. Shotguns get my Standard Trap Re-Load or Federal #8's from Walmart. The Tactical Guns additionally all get Federal Low Recoil 00 Buckshot and Slugs. With the slugs if the gun is sighted in with those slugs everything else I feed it is close enough.

The two best shooting pellets IMHO are the H&N Match which is a standard Diabolo Flat Point Wadcutter Target Pellet. These shoot really well on all my guns both .177 and .22 cal. H&N also makes some heavier Hunting pellets called "Barakudas." and "Crow Magnum" HP style pellets, which shoot strait but I see little use for them.

The other brand I like is JSB. The "Exact" style which is a Round Nose Diabolo and the most accurate I have shot in my big guns. at 18.9 gr they are big enough for anything you'd care to hunt with an Air Rifle. they also have a big pellet which is intended for PCPs and at @25 gr is huge. My HW 77 won't stabilize those but the R1 will.

In the 1st pic the .22 cal. H&N Match is left, H&N Barakuda next, JSB Exact, and JSB Monster.
Second pic is a target showing how they shot thru the R1

Third pic is a group from the HW35E with the scope mounted. .177 cal.

It don't get much better than that. And your's will shoot that well too!

Attached Thumbnails
Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-100464657.jpg   Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-100464659.jpg   Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate Stock-100464663.jpg  
dh1633pm likes this.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-14-2020 at 16:19.
W.R.Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:37   #7

Thanks. I read your post earlier. I found some solid copper ones with a round point that it likes. I can now hit all the poles for the chain link fence at will in the standing position with them. Better than the others ones that are pointed and lead. They are a little heavier as well.