Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By jumpluff
  • 1 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By jumpluff
  • 2 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 2 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 2 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By jumpluff
  • 1 Post By CaptThomas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2019, 14:23   #1

Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine

When I bought my Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm I decided to try some OEM Glock Magazines even though I don't own a Glock Pistol. I purchased OEM Glock mags of 17 and 33 round capacity since Indiana is a free state. That said, I am not seeking the highest capacity magazines but rather magazines that make practical sense in my rifle. Thus I have no reason to invest in "low capacity magazines" in my state.

So all is well and good...but of course no red, white, and blue firearms enthusiast can just be content and let it go at that!

So although the conventional wisdom is "stick with the OEM Glock Mags"...which is good guidance...I started to ponder what else is out there in the larger world of "all things Glock". To that end, I have done a bit of research of the "literature" and of the video offerings and have gained sufficient "confidence" to purchase a few Magpul Pmags in Glock 9mm in 27 round capacity, which I have yet to test, as the evidence seems to indicate that they are pretty reliable and a good value.

Not content to let it go at that, I have decided to try a few of the ETS mags in 9mm Glock in 31 round capacity, which I have yet to purchase, as they seem to likewise be well received.

I have seen mixed reviews on the KCI mags...but would like to learn a bit more about them. They seem to be somewhat harder to find?

So...all you Ruger PC Carbine lover's out there...and all you Glock experts...hit me with your take. What are the best aftermarket Glock mags in 9mm, and if you have tried them in a PC Carbine...which ones have you found to be reliable and a good value?
Bepe likes this.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:21   #2

Interesting thread there Jump. I'll keep a watch on it. When I bought my PCC-9 the LGS owner had eight 15 round G19 mags on hand. They were old LE dated to 1994. He sold them to me for a song. I bought new springs from the Glock Factory and replaced them. The old springs were toast. I like the mid length 15 rounders for everyday use as they don't hang down too far. Be nice to have a few long sticks on hand for SHTF.

Between my G19x mags and the others I picked up I'm holding fairly heavy.
Still interested in what may work better for aftermarket.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-dscn3984.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-dscn4205.jpg  
jumpluff likes this.

Last edited by Bepe; 12-19-2019 at 15:31.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:13   #3

Very nice Bepe!

I am my own worst enemy...now I am thinking I may also purchase the ETS 9mm/.40 caliber SpeedLoader For All Pistol Mags as it seems to work pretty well. I watched a video by Sootch00 and he seemed to really like it. I have a Maglula Uplula and adore it. As I advance in years I find I am very much interested in things that mitigate the wear and tear on my fingers...read that as pain!

If any of you have used the ETS speed loader....or have other speed loader recommendations I am sure interested in hearing about your experiences.

Likewise....if you have speed loaders that one should shy away from...that is also very useful to know.
Bepe likes this.

Old 12-19-2019, 14:59   #4

Jump: I have several Maglula's and they are the best Mag Loaders out there. Hot tip is to use them at a table or something solid you can push the mag down on. Wrap your index finger over the top and push down. This is my preferred method as when you get the mag near full it becomes much harder to push against your belly or something soft.

I run mostly 22 rnd Glock Mags (Only load to 20) in my PCC.40 and they run pretty well most of the time dependent on the ammo. They don't like Sellers and Belloit ammo!

KCI also makes good ones (from Korea) and my 31 rnd. .40 cal mags work in both my G23 and G35 just fine. They also work in the PCC.40 but they do hang down pretty far.

Kind of unwieldy with a mag hanging down a foot below the gun.

Randy
jumpluff and Bepe like this.
Old 12-19-2019, 15:47   #5

On another note I'd like to expand this thread to include Sling Options. Hope you don't mind.

When I did my Front Sight Rifle Class in Nov I just used the supplied sling swivel attachment points in the stock and fore end. I was limited to conventional carry which is fine except it doesn't really allow you to turn loose of the gun to use your hands for pasting targets and such like that.

I normally want a side mounted sling so I can carry the gun Cross Body in front of me. This allows the fastest Target Acquisition from a Ready Position. We drill Low Ready, High Ready and Field Ready in the class.

These Ready positions are used for different things.

For Example: the Low Ready is where you start from on most of the Shooting Drills or return to after you shoot and then go into After Action Drills. The gun is in your shoulder pocket but tilted down @45 degrees so you can see over it. To fire you simply bring the gun up to eye level acquire your sights and let fly.

The High Ready is used when going up a Stairwell so the gun is pointed in the general direction of a possible threat. You usually want to be completely out of the sling for this one so you don't get tangled up. You simply push the sling over your head and you are free.

The Field Ready is when you are carrying the gun all day and it is hanging off your neck and down around your waste.

None of these positions readily work with a conventional sling attachment. So the gun got modified to accept push button sling swivels by attaching Sockets to the fore end and both sides of the buttstock. The reason for both sides of the buttstock is that for Cross body carry you want the swivel on the outside of the stock so the strap holds the gun tight against you. For cross back you switch to the left side of the stock and that allows the gun to lay flat against your back when moving long distances, and makes it so the magazine doesn't poke you in the back all the time.

I used Grove-Tec "90 Degree Limited Rotation Sockets" (@$7 ea.) And 1.5" Grove-Tec Swivels (@$15ea.) from Midway USA. The sockets are threaded on the outside and look like a big set screw. You don't want the ones that allow full rotation of the swivels because they quickly become tangled and a general PITB.

I make all of my Slings out of 1.5" nylon belt material and they work really well at spreading the load of the gun out over a larger area. Comes in handy on long days. The material remains soft and supple and wears really well.

I used all these same parts on all three of my Combat Shotguns and run them the same way. The second method with the sling all on the left side of the gun also allows you to carry the gun in either the conventional way muzzle up or muzzle down African style as well. So it is the best of all worlds.

Here's some pics. Also a pic of the 31 rnd mag and a 22 rnd mag with a 31 under it.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465025.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465027.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465028.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465029.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465030.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465032.jpg  

Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465033.jpg   Best aftermarket Glock Magazines - Ruger 9mm PC Carbine-100465034.jpg  
Old 12-19-2019, 16:30   #6

The screw into the stock with 9/16-18 threads. You drill the hole run a tap in part way and then screw the sockets in until flush and timed the way you want.

The stock is not solid it is hollow. I used JB Weld to lock the sockets in place on the inside but I wish I'd got some thin Jam Nuts to screw onto the inside and then JB'd them.

The fore end is a BCM Socket and I used 8-32 helicoils in the plastic as it is not all that thick. There isn't enough room to put nuts on the back side.

Randy
Old 12-19-2019, 18:07   #7

Captivating discussion gentlemen...my thanks to you both! I just wasn't smart enough to raise these issues...but I am most certainly listening and learning!

Keep it coming!
Bepe likes this.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:09   #8

MAGPUL is good to go, ETS is pretty good, I have 15 or so and no issues on 300+ rnds thru each in 9mm & .40. I would say that KCI is likely the best of the import "hit or miss" mags. They either run or they don't. They offer some round counts other mfg's don't (as far as I know?) so get them from a supplier that will back them with exchange / return and then shoot the crap out of them to make sure. I have 12 of their fun sticks and drums that run flawless.... BUT I exchanged 4 of that 12 that didn't play well. So worth it @ 80%+ operational out of the package but shoot ALL your mags with the ammo you will use / carry to make sure they don't **** the bed on you when you need them most.

Capt. Thomas
jumpluff likes this.
CaptThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 13:55   #9

OK, please keep your guidance coming, I am most grateful to all who have chimed in with their recommendations. I remain interested in experimenting with recommended options. So, I am not ending my quest, but I did at least want to report back on my initial experiences with my newly acquired ETS Universal SpeedLoader for Pistols in 9mm/.40.

At the same time, I purchased some ETS 31 round “Glock” magazines for my Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. So for my testing today I used one of those magazines and Sellier and Bellot 9mm 124 grain ball.

I have the Maglula UpLULA and LOVE it…it is truly fantastic and ingenious. It is easy, fast, and truly spares the fingers.

So on to the ETS. Bear in mind that these are my initial experiences. Out of the gate let me say that there is an instruction sheet in the “mag well” of the loader…so remove it before you attempt to use it. It is large and connects firmly to the magazine. The loading lever is large and allows a good grip to apply force on both sides of the "column" as you load. The loader does load magazines quickly, but it does take considerable pressure to “ram” the 10 rounds into the magazine. I loaded the 31 round mag to 30 rounds necessitating 3 load cycles.

I picked it up for a bit over $20. It is quite a bit larger than the UpLULA so this is a consideration for transport. Once of the features of this loader is that one can theoretically load from a "tray" without having to manually load the rounds. I found this worked as advertised for the S&B rounds and tray.

So, at the end of the day here is my take away. If you want fast reloading the ETS is the winner.

If you want to take it easy on your (in my case aging) hands…the Maglula UpLula is the clear winner.

For this reason, the UpLULA will remain my “go to” loader…though I do not at all regret getting the ETS.