I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum" - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 13:19   #1

I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"

Pistol Caliber Carbine lovers...I know you are out there. I have a "sub-forum" were I can go to get my Ruger 10/22 fix and my Ruger Mini-14 fix. Now all I need to feel whole and satisfied is a Pistol Caliber Carbine sub-forum.

In my mind this would be primarily for center fire pistol cartridge firing rifles/carbines as compared to revolver cartridge firing long guns as they have the lever gun sub-forum. I would not be a hard ball on this as there are exceptions like my Ruger Deerfield Carbine that fires 44 mag. I would even peacefully coexist with the PCC firing lever guns if that is what it takes to get a PCC sub-forum established.

Although this has long been a loved category of rifles for me, it is a real gowth area right now so if you are like minded sound off and perhaps we might finally get the Moderators to set one up to stop us from whining

So...join the chorus...let us band together and see if we can get this some traction on this. I am currently really enjoying my Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm but am interested in hearing about your PCC experiences. So come on folks...sound off and let's hear some good conversation on this very popular segment of shooting sports!
freesw, r80rt, Adjuster and 2 others like this.
Old 12-01-2019, 20:36   #2

Folks always think mods have more power than they do... Its the sites owner you need... Good luck with that.
r80rt, Adjuster and 40nascar like this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:52   #3
Banned

I vote for the new subforum. I have a CZ Scorpion 9mm with the 16" barrel and a real suppressor.
LousyShot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2019, 11:03   #4

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
Folks always think mods have more power than they do... Its the sites owner you need... Good luck with that.
Ah...thanks for the tip. How do we ascertain who that is and what their contact information is? Thanks.
r80rt likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 16:36   #5

His username is Kevin. Hes not really active here.
Old 12-02-2019, 17:22   #6

His username is Kevin. Hes not really active here.
Thank you sir! I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Colleagues I have sent the text below to Kevin as a PM requesting the establishment of a PCC subforum. If you are like minded you might consider sending him a similar...polite and respectful...request to illustrate your interest.

Now I know that you don't need my advice...but I do highly encourage that any request you send be polite and respectful. Remember what Grandma always said...you catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

At that point we have exercised due diligence and we will just hope Kevin looks favorably upon our request.

I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"

Greetings Kevin,

I would like to suggest that a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum" be established and a moderator advised me that I would need to direct my request to you.

Pistol Caliber Carbines have grown very popular and I (and I believe a number of my colleagues) would enjoy and make use of a dedicated PCC "sub-forum".

In my mind this would be primarily for center fire pistol cartridge firing rifles/carbines as compared to revolver cartridge firing long guns as they have the lever gun sub-forum. I would not be a hard ball on this as there are exceptions like my Ruger Deerfield Carbine that fires 44 mag. I would even peacefully coexist with the PCC firing lever guns if that is what it takes to get a PCC sub-forum established.

So, I respectfully request that you consider establishing a dedicated PCC sub-forum where we PCC lovers can have some good conversation on this very popular and growing segment of shooting sports!

Thank you for considering my request,
Jumpluff

Old 12-03-2019, 17:13   #7

77/357...

GR
Garandimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51   #8

Love it Garandimal...very nice! So that looks like the NECG rear sight? What hight front sight did you have to use to get things liked up properly?
Old 12-07-2019, 16:09   #9

07-28-2019 10:22 was the last time Kevin bothered to stop by... how did that PM work out for you??
Old 12-07-2019, 17:48   #10

Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
77/357...
[CENTER]
GR
One of my favorite hunting weapons
I've been bugging Ruger to bring back the Deerfield, but chambered in 357 Magnum.
Would make for an awesome truck & field gun, not to mention a dandy HD weapon for ban states... aka soon to be most of the U.S.
jumpluff likes this.
Swift Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:43   #11

07-28-2019 10:22 was the last time Kevin bothered to stop by... how did that PM work out for you??
I haven't had a respose thus far...but that is ok...I am content to be patient.

I figure Kevin may evenutally see it and respond favorably. If not....no worries...all is well.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
r80rt and Bepe like this.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:47   #12

Originally Posted by Swift Pilot View Post
One of my favorite hunting weapons
I've been bugging Ruger to bring back the Deerfield, but chambered in 357 Magnum.
Would make for an awesome truck & field gun, not to mention a dandy HD weapon for ban states... aka soon to be most of the U.S.
Yes sir...I would snap that up in a heartbeat!
Old 12-13-2019, 00:44   #13

I'm in I got my Ruger PCC.40S&W in May and it has been to Front Sight now and is well broken in.

I have learned how to run it efficiently, and just finished putting a side mounted sling on the gun. It also has a Bushnell TRS 25 mounted which is more than adequate for any use you might have for a PCC.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails
I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"-100464962.jpg   I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"-100464963.jpg   I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"-100464964.jpg  
jumpluff and Bepe like this.
Old 12-20-2019, 19:36   #14

Iím in.
Attached Thumbnails
I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"-1ac8e12c-2d54-4471-9c0a-169b8670a63f.jpg  
jumpluff, Adjuster and Bepe like this.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 19:50   #15

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
Yes sir...I would snap that up in a heartbeat!
Email Ruger and request it
They've been really open to suggestions from buyers these last few years
I've been working folks to contact them about a reboot in 357 Magnum
Maybe if enough of us pester them they will make it happen

I dont see it being out of reach
Current production mags and barrels from the 77/357 could be used
The engineering has already been done and its a proven design in 44 Magnum
Modern CAD and production really should make it a snap to bring to market

I think it would be a great seller in existing ban areas

Offer it in wood and polly stocked configurations
Stainless with a 16" barrel
Ditch the ring mounts for an interchangeable MRDS mount for RMR, DPP, Etc
Two inch swappable pic-rail on each side of stock for a WML
I'm drooling again....
jumpluff and star like this.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:48   #16

Agreed Swift Pilot, I take full advantage of the opportunity to "tell the CEO". In case anyone is unaware of this wonderful option it is a link at the bottom of the main page of the Ruger website.

Wood and synthetic stocked versions ...Stainless steel option Stop it...you are making me feel all giddy and lightheaded!
Old 12-21-2019, 07:38   #17

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
Agreed Swift Pilot, I take full advantage of the opportunity to "tell the CEO". In case anyone is unaware of this wonderful option it is a link at the bottom of the main page of the Ruger website.

Wood and synthetic stocked versions ...Stainless steel option Stop it...you are making me feel all giddy and lightheaded!

My only beef with Ruger is that their QC has been slipping these last few years. I ordered a pair of Wiley Clapp SP101's last January, one was 100% perfection, the other was an absurd disaster. One entire side of the trigger guard was utterly unfinished, i don't mean a 'little rough', I'm talking untouched and so sharp i lost skin just picking it up. How the heck that made it out of the factory is beyond me.

Then about a month ago I found a 3" SP101 in 38 Special only (I geek for 3" barrels) always wanted one those 'security guard specials' and hadn't seen them in ages so I ordered it. Looked perfect in every way, pulled the trigger expecting the usual 'meh' factory trigger.... felt like I was tightening a ratchet strap... crunch grind clink...crunch grind clink... crunch grind clink

The RMA paperwork and FedEx box are still sitting on a file cabinet next to my desk a month later. I'm still so pissed about it I don't even want to expend the energy dropping it off

On the other hand the LCR's Ive bought lately have been tip-top as well the pair of WC GP's I bought about two years ago. Just wish they would get their QC crap together.

And reeeeeeaaaaaly wish they would do a new lightweight Deerfield in 357
Even the older Model 44 in 357 would be as I kind of always liked its stock fed design better than the removable magazine Deerfield.

But a Deerfield version would be so much easier, and so similar to a Mini that it seems like it would be a no brainer. I don't know anyone who doesn't drool over the thought of a 357 semi-auto carbine, even if it only has a small capacity.
A modern M1 Carbine on steroids!
jumpluff likes this.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:13   #18

I'd like to see a PCC sub forum as well.

It would give things like my Colt R6450 a place to hang out:

It would however probably also bring some technically-not-a-carbine friends.

jumpluff likes this.
Model 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:30   #19
RJF

Have a Beretta CX4 9mm. Takes my 92FS (and M9) mags just fine.

Assuming proposed bills pass, my CX4 will be illegal (has a pistol grip/thumbhole stock) and will go to my heir in FL sooner than my demise, along with all of my current 92FS and M9 mags. I will start from scratch, with a Ruger PCC and probably get some hated Glock mags for it: so much for mag commonality...I refuse to get a Glock.

The Ruger PCC - by all reads - passes the proposed VA Commie descriptions as an "assault weapon" (as long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel).

Should it pass and I remain "compliant", I'll be buying a PCC and several Glock 10-round mags.

We'll see...
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:12   #20

Sure sorry for all your (and other Virginia firearm enthusiasts) trouble RJF...strange days my brother.
Bepe likes this.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:26   #21

***SNIP***

And reeeeeeaaaaaly wish they would do a new lightweight Deerfield in 357
Even the older Model 44 in 357 would be as I kind of always liked its stock fed design better than the removable magazine Deerfield.

But a Deerfield version would be so much easier, and so similar to a Mini that it seems like it would be a no brainer. I don't know anyone who doesn't drool over the thought of a 357 semi-auto carbine, even if it only has a small capacity.
A modern M1 Carbine on steroids!

***SNIP***
That would be wonderful Swift Pilot. I love my Deerfield in 44 mag. I am mostly a plinker, so 44 mag is a bit pricey to punch holes in soup cans. I would love a .357 Deerfield as I would most certainly plink with it.

I did try 44 special in my Deerfield, but no real cost savings. Sure you have to manually cycle the bolt...but that is no biggie when plinking. I would do the same thing with the Deerfield in .357....I would plink with 38 special (and manually cycle the bolt) and then put .357 in it for situations where I wanted it to cycle under gas pressure.

Of course lead bullets are a no, no with a gas operated rifle as I understand it, unless you want a plugged gas port. No worries, copper jacketed 38 special is available and cost effective.

I will send another message on this topic to Ruger. I would also love to have a stainless Deerfield in 44 mag. I will mention that as well.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:36   #22

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Have a Beretta CX4 9mm. Takes my 92FS (and M9) mags just fine.

Assuming proposed bills pass, my CX4 will be illegal (has a pistol grip/thumbhole stock) and will go to my heir in FL sooner than my demise, along with all of my current 92FS and M9 mags. I will start from scratch, with a Ruger PCC and probably get some hated Glock mags for it: so much for mag commonality...I refuse to get a Glock.

The Ruger PCC - by all reads - passes the proposed VA Commie descriptions as an "assault weapon" (as long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel).

Should it pass and I remain "compliant", I'll be buying a PCC and several Glock 10-round mags.

We'll see...
You'll likely be disappointed moving from the CX4 to the Ruger

I own a number of Storms and LOVE them for their reliability, ergonomic, size, accuracy, etc. Tried the PC and found it heavy, clumsy, unreliable, long when compared to the Storm, so I gave it away. I wanted to like the Ruger so much that I bought a second one to give it another chance, and again found the Storm better in every way.

That said...
Had I never tried the CX4, I probably would have been okay with the Ruger.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:34   #23
RJF

I own a number of Storms and LOVE them for their reliability, ergonomic, size, accuracy, etc. Tried the PC and found it heavy, clumsy, unreliable, long when compared to the Storm, so I gave it away. I wanted to like the Ruger so much that I bought a second one to give it another chance, and again found the Storm better in every way.

That said...
I have only 90 rounds through it - all flawless. I like the feel and the light weight, and in particular the commonality of mags to my 92FS. Bought it about a month before Ruger came out with the PCC. If the PCC had an option for M9 mags, I would have kicked myself! But they still don't. Don't like the amount of plastic in it, but engineers seemed to figure out what does and doesn't work.

We'll see how this all ends up. I can get 10-round mags for my 92FS but frankly, I don't shoot it that much and certainly don't carry it (way too heavy and bulky for my <130# 5'10" frame (health issues)). It is pretty much limited to bedside "noise in the dark" and occasional shooting sessions. The CX4 was great for the sessions and would be a good home-defense gun and for patrols of our farm (coyotes and poachers being the biggest threat). A Ruger PCC would fill the same role; I'll just need to get some Glock 10-rounders. Did I mention I HATE Glocks???I pretty much hate any Striker-fired pistol...

Have a few more "legal" pistols in the .380-.45ACP range, but I'd hate to give up any of my firearms due to some commie law. On the other hand, I haven't shot much of late and my nephew will get everything eventually. So perhaps some sooner rather than later, and in the process add a few for the "later" part...Already added a standard Mini-14 Ranch, which will be "legal" and in the "later" category.

But first he has to safely return from the Middle East...sometime around the end of February (first extension). Prayers if you can...
Old 12-23-2019, 10:10   #24

That said...
No gun is going to please everybody. Otherwise there would only be one gun available.

I have shot nearly 800 rounds thru my PCC 40 now, and find it to be accurate and dependable and since mine is a .40 it is more powerful than a 9MM as well. I will concede that it is heavier than I would like but after 4 days of continuous shooting I got used to it.

I do have Glocks and find them to be about as good a fighting gun as anyone has ever made, simple to operate, accurate enough for the intended purpose and readily available. They are by far the easiest pistol to learn how to shoot.

I have never even seen a CX4 in person and for this post I had to google a picture of one so I knew what I was talking about. They look like they could be a decent urban assault weapon. However they use B92 mags and I could never lower myself to pick up a B92 as I consider them to be heavy, clunky and a PITB to run. Been down the DA SA road and found it to be annoying and I never got good with one, two different trigger pulls was the reason and I have complete disdain for any Decocker now.. Got good with the Glock quickly now I have 4.

They say "there's an ass for every seat," and thus there are guns for everyone.I have been especially surprised at the number of Glock Clones that came out this year.

Like it or not, the Ruger PCC is another Home Run for Ruger, which adds to the long list of guns they've got right.

Randy
jumpluff, RJF and Bepe like this.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:22   #25
RJF

W.R., I appreciate your comments, and can't say I disagree.

I've had a 92FS since 1994, and I pretty much preferred to follow a personal rule of owning a compatible pistol with what my Army fielded (also have a Colt Model 70 Govt Model I got in 1980).
ARs are where I drew the line...and went with the Mini-14. Commonality of ammo and that's about it! By then, though, my standard issued weapon was the 1911.

I've got plenty of mags for my 92FS - plus several M9 mags. I like it, but it is heavy. But the primary interest is commonality of the platform as my last years in the Army I never had an assigned sidearm. I recalled my pre-deployment training for Desert Storm: I had never encountered an M9 and that is what I deployed with. I never wanted to fall into a situation where I wasn't completely comfortable with the operation and function of a sidearm my life depended on. So I bought my 92FS in 1993/94.

It is a nice shooting iron, but after medical challenges and significant weight and muscle loss, it is generally too heavy for comfort. My Bersa Thunder .380 Combat is perfect for me; the 92FS is a secondary bedside gun.

The CX4 is great for me. It took me a year to finally bite the bullet on it, as it seemed to be a Star Wars gun and I'm a wood/blued kinda guy. It fits my currently small frame perfectly, and would hate to give it up.

So the Ruger PCC is now appealing as it is (currently) going to be legal under VA's proposed commie laws. I hate Striker-fired pistols, so should I get a PCC, the Glock mags will only be for it (not unlike M1 Carbine or Mini-14 mags).

We'll see how this whole commie plan in VA comes out, but if need be, I won't need to give up capabilities, just form: M1 Carbine will lose its bayo lug, some Mini-14s will go to my nephew sooner rather than later (and replaced with a Mini-14 Ranch I have already gotten), the CX4 replaced with a Ruger PCC, my 92FS 17-round mags replaced with 10-rounders. Have been stocking up on 10-round mags for my Minis and M1 Crbine for a while...

Ironically, the net effect should VA's commie rules take effect is an increase in weapons - just some going someplace else while being replaced with ones just as capable.
jumpluff and Adjuster like this.