I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum" - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2019, 12:14   #26

while a Pistol caliber rifle is on my maybe someday list. If you have an SKS, AK47, 30/30 lever rifle, or Mosin Nagant M44 you already have a pistol caliber rifle. Lee molds are twenty dollars a 32 caliber pistol bullet can load .308 and .310 rifles. The Lee 160 and 155gr x39 molds will load the same. You can just tumble lube without the expense of a lube sizer. A 160-grain cast bullet only needs six grains of bullseye powder. You can use any fast pistol or shotgun powder. Bullseye, 2400 and Red dot are my favorites because they are not position sensitive. I shot a lot of cast bullets when Obama made ammo hard to get. Five pounds of powder, some lead, and a few thousand primers if you aren't able to buy ammo can keep you shooting for a long time. And it is a lot of fun to shoot. Here is a good write up that ED Harris wrote on cast bullet loads. Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles - Article

r80rt, Adjuster and Bepe like this.
Old 12-23-2019, 14:18   #27

So as a Ruger fan boy I have stuck with Ruger pistols. I am a rifleman...not a pistol man. For me the pistol is a weapon of last resort...perhaps a way to stay alive long enough to get to my rifle. I am no competition shooter...but I am pretty proficient with a rifle. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol.

So in the event you have suffered through the long, boring preamble and are still reading...I pose this question. I adore my Ruger PC Carbines. Like Bepe I have toyed with a G17 since I have now invested in glock mags.

I have not been able to justify the cost for what for me will be a marginal weapon choice at best. Thus far I have talked myself out of it... I am interested in logical and practical reasons why I should reconsider.

Emotional reasons won't do. Although the emotional approach would almost surely work with my weakness for rifles...I just don't get all excited over a pistol. Ok...hit me with your thoughts...pro or con.
r80rt and Bepe like this.
Old 12-23-2019, 19:50   #28

Awe PCC's are for guys that can't shoot a pistol well. J/K . I bought one but if I had to do it again I would spend the dollars elsewhere but that's just me. Sounds like there is support for a PCC. Yes you can get great velocities out of the .357 and other magnum rounds that match intermediate rifle cartridges out to about 100 yds. But you drive The pistol HP's will be ineffective at closer ranges on game, way over designed expansion velocities. Good study below gives you a snapshot.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Calibers/Cartridges
jumpluff and Adjuster like this.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:24   #29

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
Yes you can get great velocities out of the .357 and other magnum rounds that match intermediate rifle cartridges out to about 100 yds. But you drive The pistol HP's will be ineffective at closer ranges on game, way over designed expansion velocities.
Clearly you've never hunted with a 357 Magnum carbine.
r80rt likes this.
Swift Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:30   #30

Less blast
Less flash
Less noise
Less recoil
Less cost to practice
Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun

What would be your intended purpose?

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
So as a Ruger fan boy I have stuck with Ruger pistols. I am a rifleman...not a pistol man. For me the pistol is a weapon of last resort...perhaps a way to stay alive long enough to get to my rifle. I am no competition shooter...but I am pretty proficient with a rifle. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol.

So in the event you have suffered through the long, boring preamble and are still reading...I pose this question. I adore my Ruger PC Carbines. Like Bepe I have toyed with a G17 since I have now invested in glock mags.

I have not been able to justify the cost for what for me will be a marginal weapon choice at best. Thus far I have talked myself out of it... I am interested in logical and practical reasons why I should reconsider.

Emotional reasons won't do. Although the emotional approach would almost surely work with my weakness for rifles...I just don't get all excited over a pistol. Ok...hit me with your thoughts...pro or con.
r80rt likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:40   #31

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I have never even seen a CX4 in person and for this post I had to google a picture of one so I knew what I was talking about. They look like they could be a decent urban assault weapon. However they use B92 mags
Beretta currently makes mag adapters for three different pistols and they are supposed to be producing more versions including Glock. There were I believe two different after market companies making them for other pistols as well.

That said, all of mine are set up for Beretta 92 mags because they are cheap as dirt, widely available, and 100% reliable. The Italian 20 round magazines fit the magwell perfectly.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:55   #32

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Did I mention I HATE Glocks???I pretty much hate any Striker-fired pistol...
Glock is the 1982 Toyota Camry of the firearm world
They are utterly outdated and outclassed in every way possible
I'm still amazed people buy them as there are so many better options

If you get the chance, try out some of the many far more modern striker-fired options available today. You might be surprised and find one you like as there are some truly well engineered designs that shoot wonderfully.

Me, I fell in love with the Steyr M series in 9mm and 357
Although I still have a soft spot for and will always own 92's as well as others
Old 12-24-2019, 10:36   #33

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Jump....nothing better than having magazine compatibility between two different firearms. If SHTF the PCC and pistol combo is a great asset. Yea....I know it is not a rifle. Doesn't matter to me as the PCC is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

As far as the G17....I'd get the 19x or if you don't like the sand color go with the G45. Close to identical to the 19x but the black color. Some minor differences. They have the short G19 slide with the full size G17 frame. They balance unbelievable and shoot lights out.

Just my .02.

Bepe
Thanks Bepe. Magazine compatibility is nothing to sneeze at. I agree with you....a PCC is FUN and much less expensive to shoot. I am a recreational plinker....the PCC fills that bill perfectly.

If something really deep is going down I would opt for my Mini-14...but if all I had was a PCC...I would not feel unprepared. I am not a crack marksman...I will first try escape and evasion and if I have no choice I will stand and fight. I figure it won't be a long range fight...the PCC ought to do the trick if I put the rounds on target effectively. Heaven forbid I ever end up in such a situation!

I will be ever so happy to never face an adversary any more perilous than an empty Campbell's Soup can!

A very merry and safe Christmas to you all!
Adjuster and Bepe like this.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:54   #34

Originally Posted by Swift Pilot View Post
Clearly you've never hunted with a 357 Magnum carbine.
No but I have taken game with .41, .44 magnum, 7mm-08, out of a pistol. The Thomson Contender with pistol velocities that the projectiles are designed for. . If I'm gonna hunt I plan for conditions. Unless you are suggesting I hunt ground capable of producing shots to 400 yards with a pcc pop gun? Like I said not a big fan of pcc's.
The Contender is cool because you can sit back against a tree or rock, bring your knees up and squeeze the pistol in your knees, rock solid. But if you're a sissy girl from a little recoil.
I'll sell you mine!
Bepe likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 13:51   #35

A good friend of mine talked me into my only official NRA match. He was in a freestyle competition with a TC in 7-30. I was in a more regulated silhouette match off hand. 7-100 yards I think, maybe it was 10 for the chickens. He won his first. Now everybody is watching me in a shootout tie for first. I was getting cold and windy and I was losing interest so we both flubbed the chickens at 10. He ran out of ammo, I got the win. My buddy had .44 mag in the truck and he whispered to me, want me to give him some ammo, I said heck no! Rams at a 100 yards, takes a while to hear the clangggg. That was my .41 Ruger New model Black Hawk. I can grab that pistol and drill a hole at pistol ranges all day long. It has a tickle spot of take up you have to get through then boom. Made me a better pistol shot.
Bepe likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 17:18   #36

I've always wanted a smith in .44 mag. If you ever want to trade I have a mint 19-5 3" in .357 mag. I just run my .38's in it. But it's nearly perfect and 200 rounds maybe.. I picked it up a few years ago.
Bepe likes this.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:04   #37
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!

Agree on the CX4 in 9mm.
Want to get a Striborg soon, but hear they are going to release a roller delay lock up/bolt, so I can wait, they have the charge handle issue resolved.

And while it does not use Glock Mags, the ones it does use are available, and less than 30.00 each.
Bepe likes this.

BLAMTIFA: The new KKK with colored hair...
VOTE! And let's Keep America Great with our MOB
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:00   #38
Full Blown Member

30 Herrett on contender frame with custom furniture

145 gr cast bullets
https://i.postimg.cc/bJnsdhNR/20200401-193004-2.jpg
gemihur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:48   #39

Originally Posted by Swift Pilot View Post
Email Ruger and request it
They've been really open to suggestions from buyers these last few years
I've been working folks to contact them about a reboot in 357 Magnum
Maybe if enough of us pester them they will make it happen
I think a box magazine would be good if you could make something like the desert eagle uses..

And yes vote to PCC
Old 05-30-2020, 08:15   #40

Here’s my latest pcc in .45 using the cmmg rotary bolt and bbl. I love it so much better than my Olympic.45s.
Attached Thumbnails
I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"-111aece1-ec3f-4efa-a38f-82c01679cf3f.jpg   I sure wish we had a Pistol Caliber Carbine "sub-forum"-ddff1290-b23e-48c7-b0bc-dabd38ba7a20.jpeg  
gemihur and Bepe like this.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 18:50   #41
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade

I have a .44 magnum lever action Marlin that I love and a Ruger PC-9 set up to use Glock magazines. Both are reliable and shoot well. Once you have gotten use to either one and set up your tactics for which ever one you plan to use, you back that PCC with a decent pistol and a good sheath knife for the win. You layer your defenses and you'll win.
Herd Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:04   #42
Full Blown Member

Bullberry is alive and well, folks.
https://www.bullberry.com/
gemihur is offline   Reply With Quote