Air Rifle - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Steak n eggs
  • 2 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By Brian S
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 2 Post By Brian S
  • 1 Post By curt mini14
  • 1 Post By grumpy_old_man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 05:28   #1

Air Rifle

My wife and I just purchased a new house. Will be living closer to Syracuse. Farther to my job, but a bit closer to her's. I can work from home when needed. I am on the road a lot as well, just got back from a two week trip to Germany where I hit the 140 hour mark for two weeks work. Cash for air rifle.

Which brings me to the question. The new house has a enclosed by vegetation and trees at the end of a dead end road. Which means privacy. I can't really shoot in the back yard, neighbors in a housing project not too far off might not like all the noise. But I have a good 100 yards in the back yard from end to end with a nice hill for a back stop. I would like to get an air rifle. But what to get? What caliber for practice? Maintenance? Sound? Anybody got any thoughts or ideas? I could invest up to 1K for something that works. It might make more sense to get something less expensive to start.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:36   #2

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
DH- One word- SUPRESSOR.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:51   #3

Yes, legal for air rifles in NY. But which rifle one to get?

Old 08-27-2019, 19:13   #4

Air force Texan SS... in .308 or .357.
2rangers likes this.
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:54   #5

I was looking at the Air Force Texan. I may get one in the future. For now I purchased a Weihrauch HW97K Blue Laminate. It is accurate, excellent trigger, good reviews and gets me going fast. Got it with the optional moderator.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spr...blue-laminate/
2rangers and Steak n eggs like this.
Old 08-28-2019, 14:37   #6

Looks like a fine air rifle!
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 19:46   #7

Thanks
Old 08-29-2019, 19:42   #8

Stumbled across these last night. Been considering a big bore air rifle for a few years. I'm going to watch a few more vids and do a little more research but the next time I see one in stock for $800 I'm going to order one. Muzzle energy is really impressive for an air gun. Easily double that of the Air Force Texans.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...Air_Rifle/4336

Umarex Hammer .50 PCP Air Rifle
Precharged pneumatic (PCP)
2-round chamber magazine (includes 2)
Rifled barrel
Straight pull speed-bolt with 2 lbs cocking effort
3-lb trigger weight
Regulated to 3,000 psi per shot
4,500 fill pressure (24 cubic inch carbon fiber tank)
Built-in manometer (pressure gauge)
Weaver/Picatinny optics rail
PolyOne designed and manufactured stock
AR Magpul style grip
Integrated rear sling stud
3 slots in forearm grip to accept M-LOK attachments
Quick Disconnect Foster fitting
43.75-inch overall length
8.5 pound overall weight unloaded without scope
29.5-inch barrel length with full-length composite shroud

Made in the USA
Umarex Hammer Energy Generation
Grain Material FPS Energy (ft. lbs.)
180 Umarex® ARX® 1100 484
200 Lead 1055 495
250 Lead 1000 555
275 Lead 945 545
300 Lead 930 576
330 Lead (Lyman) 935 641
350 Lead (Lyman) 875 595
550 Lead 760 700

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 16:27   #9

Which air rifle? I am highly partial to RWS' Diana line. The 34 is a moderate power affair though I would like to step up to the side-cocking 48. Both are springers (i.e. you cock a spring and on firing the spring compresses the air). Two downsides to springers:
1. they're brutal on optics due to the back-and-forth nature of their recoil
2. for the best accuracy you use a little different style of hold than you would with a powder type gun, called an "artillery hold"

If you're really loaded, you could consider a Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifle. They have a lot more infrastructure requirements but don't have the crazy recoil profile and do allow for really hefty hunting loads. Some PCP guns can launch a .50 cal slug at .38 spl energy.

Pyramyd air has a good selection of air rifles (no affiliation with them except as a satisfied customer).

Caliber? I like the .22 in an air rifle and prefer springers even with their idiosyncrasies, but also have had some .177's (still have my Baikal 46M target pistol in .177, which is a pneumatic - one stroke compresses the air for the shot).

To keep the noise down, stay subsonic, which its easy to do with heavy pellets in the .22 or larger calibers. Some of the magnum .177's with light pellets can actually launch 'em supersonic (they slow down quickly though).

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Grumpy
grumpy_old_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 20:59   #10

Diana RWS Model 48 Sidelever Airgun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-estswnXbug

Originally Posted by grumpy_old_man View Post
If you're really loaded, you could consider a Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifle. They have a lot more infrastructure requirements but don't have the crazy recoil profile and do allow for really hefty hunting loads. Some PCP guns can launch a .50 cal slug at .38 spl energy.
I've seen quite a few .45 to .50 cal PCPs that make that much power. The new Amarex Hammer is in the .357 mag to 10mm range. It seems like every time someone claims they make the most powerful air gun, I stumble across something that puts it to shame.

If this is real, it's equal to a 7.62 AK cartridge @ 1500 FTE
IWA 2019 | AEA Precision Airguns - .72 Cal and FULL AUTO
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvl4puyJHHs
grumpy_old_man likes this.

Old 09-01-2019, 15:18   #11

Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
Diana RWS Model 48 Sidelever Airgun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-estswnXbug

I've seen quite a few .45 to .50 cal PCPs that make that much power. The new Amarex Hammer is in the .357 mag to 10mm range. It seems like every time someone claims they make the most powerful air gun, I stumble across something that puts it to shame.

If this is real, it's equal to a 7.62 AK cartridge @ 1500 FTE
IWA 2019 | AEA Precision Airguns - .72 Cal and FULL AUTO
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvl4puyJHHs
If I was younger and better heeled financially I would look into a battery of the high powered airguns before the leftards notice them and put them under the same BS regs that cartridge type guns are under. Particularly if I was stuck out in Kalifornistan, unregulated high powered air guns would be on my want list. For my part, an RWS 48 is about the last of my "reasonable want" list (i.e. only things that I can reasonably expect to afford in the time I have left).

Grumpy
Old 09-01-2019, 15:39   #12

That Diana 48 looks pretty nice. My next one will be fully air powered. I wanted a springer to start out. I wanted to learn the ins and out of pneumatic rifles first.
Old 09-01-2019, 22:25   #13

Originally Posted by grumpy_old_man View Post
If I was younger and better heeled financially I would look into a battery of the high powered airguns before the leftards notice them and put them under the same BS regs that cartridge type guns are under. Particularly if I was stuck out in Kalifornistan, unregulated high powered air guns would be on my want list. Grumpy
I'm hardly stuck but the threat of new regulations are often in the back of my mind. CA already has some regs related to high power air rifles so I'll get what I can. I'm far from defenseless....already got the 3 (A)s covered.

As far as the AEA rifles, buyer beware on stuff from China. They make a lot of crappy stuff but can make fantastic products when they want. That full auto 9mm sounds very cool. I'll have to wait on a price and reviews.
grumpy_old_man and dh1633pm like this.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:21   #14

I have an rws 34 for over 30 years it has taken all kinds of skunks and woodpeckers and any other unwanted guests.reliable as the day is long dam good gun.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:02   #15

Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
I have an rws 34 for over 30 years it has taken all kinds of skunks and woodpeckers and any other unwanted guests.reliable as the day is long dam good gun.
Yep, that's why I always recommend the Diana 34 to someone wanting to get into air guns. Old or new, they work and work great. Even if I can afford the 48 some time, its not like I'm going to give up my 34, its a keeper.

Grumpy
curt mini14 likes this.