Perfect Union banner

Ruger PCC in .40 S&W !!!

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  W.R.Buchanan 
#1 ·
Well I got my gun out of California Jail (10 day waiting period) on Sunday and brought it home.

I immediately installed a Bushnell TRS-25 on it and it was made for this sight.

I swapped in the Glock Mag well and it drops mags free when the Ruger Mag well didn't. I have lots of Glock Mags so this was a good thing.

I also moved the Bolt Handle to the left side.

The gun weighs 6 lb 13 oz. which is a little heavier than I would like but the extra weight will come in handy for longer shots at the 3 gun this weekend.

I have to sight the gun in this week so it is right on and get everything ready for Sunday. Expecting great things from this gun.

Here's some pics

Randy

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So I got to sight the gun in today at the Ojai Valley Gun Club Range above Ojai CA. 3500 ft elev.

Since the iron sights lower co-witness with the Red Dot I had already gotten the windage pretty close and one correction to the right got me to a good place.

Elevation was way high and required a few rounds to get in that ball park.

I was shooting at 50 yards, but really wanted the zero to be out more like 100. I ended up about 1.5" high at 50 which I then verified at @100 by shooting dirt clods. After I got the dot sighted in I started shooting at a fresh target, with my standard .40 S&W reloads with 165 gr. plated bullets. they were obviously faster than S&B 180 gr. loads so I ended up at 3" high at 50 with those.

The 10 shot group was as shown in the pic below, and the 3 other shots on the target were sighters with S&B ammo.

The accuracy is more than adequate for the guns purpose, which is shooting paper and steel targets at relatively short range and out to 200 yds occasionally It is not a tack driver nor is the .40 S&W round noted for target rifle accuracy. However it did function correctly thruout the 50+ rounds I put thru it today.

When I got done I had one loose round so I sent it at a 200 yard Gong. Held 2ft high and connected Off Hand!

The gun is a winner!!! Looking forward to Sunday when I can shoot the 3 gun with it.

Randy

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Randy....keep those reports coming...I am getting more jealous of you by the moment! ;)

#4 · (Edited)
OK after a humiliating Rifle stage at yesterdays 3 gun shoot I realized I had some issues with running this gun.

I was not seating the mags with enough force to lock them in place resulting in numerous FTF's with rounds coming off the mag and flipping completely over, causing double feeds and a general mess to clean up..

Once I figured out what was going on I got the gun to run right and finished out the stage, Accuracy was excellent on the long targets (18x24 )steel plates at 150-200 yards and I was able to hold right at the top of the target and make center mass hits easily.

The short range targets were mostly standard USPSA targets and getting A zone hits from 10-20 yards was easy and fast. There was also a Plate Rack with 6 plates at 50 yards and I missed twice on that part of the run.6/8

Had fun but have to drill the mag insert and get it down pat. It is not like other guns or my Glock Pistols.

What was happening was I was inserting the mag and pulling down but the mag was still not seated completely so when I fired the feed lips were too far down and the bolt couldn't control the rounds. With the bolt closed you really have to smack it home or it just pops back down about an 1/8-1/4" Note: it felt like it was seated, but it wasn't. The Mag Catch holds the mag in place really well even if it's not seated completely. IE: False Sense of Security.

Anyway some more shooting is in order and the gun needs to get run in more, and I think it will be fine after about 800 rounds. Just like all the Glocks need.

Once I get this thing settled down it will be a great 3 gun rifle. It handles fast and is accurate and once the Mag thing is sussed out I'll only have to carry one type of ammo.

Randy

Reactions: jumpluff
#5 ·
Ok Randy, my wife has told me we can't be friends any longer. She said you appear to be a very nice man, but that "You are clearly a bad influence on her addlebrained husband" :rolleyes:

I broke down and ordered a Ruger PC Carbine 19109 in 40 S&W. I refuse to let you have ALL the fun! :eek:

Truth be told my brother, it is not really your fault... ;)

I have been hearing my Ruger PC Carbine 19100 in 9mm Luger crying in the night because it was lonely and wanted a friend. Being a compassionate man, I felt I had to do the right thing and get it a big brother. :lol:

Since I knew for a fact that SWMBO would never buy into that, I felt my only recourse was to throw you under the bus. Sorry....love you man! :unsure:

#6 ·
Jump:My gun is 19111 which is 10 round mag with the threaded muzzle.

I got to the range last Friday and burned thru a 100 or so rounds just blasting away at the Silhouette Hangers at our range. 50-200M I had a couple of malfunctions early on with the cartridges not making it into the chamber, iE: ending strait up but still hooked on the feed lips of the mag, but then it settled down.

I ran two 31 round mags completely thru with no problems and also several of my 22 rounders that were partially filled with no problems.

The gun makes a completely different sound when it is ran dry. Hard to describe but very noticeable and definitely tells you when it is in need of a new mag.

One of the mags that malfunctioned was the 9 round G27 mag (short one in the picture above.) The 9th round in that mag is very hard to load and as a result it has malfunctioned several times. Might just bench that one or use it as a last ditch back up.

Now I think about it,,, I shot @150 rounds and then came home and cleaned it. The barrel got really dirty and took a bunch of work to get clean. It is easy to clean as it comes off the gun quickly and then you just hold it in a vice and deal with it that way instead of trying to hold onto the gun and clean it from the muzzle.

I have to load up a bunch of my Powder Coated Cast Boolits as they will be cleaner than the Winchester and S&B stuff I've been shooting.

Spending more time working on the Jeep right now so I'll get to the other project soon. Check these vids out. You'll see why I'm distracted.

Randy

#7 ·
Ow wow...that is one mind blowing vehicle! I am again completely jealous...but I know better than to even broach that subject with my wife! :eek: I most certainly won't hold any distraction against you my brother!

O.k. I am not a Glock guy, so I am going to purchase some Glock mags for the new Ruger Carbine. I have my eyes on some Glock factory 15 and 22 round mags. Are the 31 round mags factory Glock or another manufacturer? I may want to give them a try as well if you have had good results with them and they are still being produced.

I think I will steer clear of the short G27 mags, no reason for me us use a mag that small anyway. I can always download the 15's or the 22's if the situation calls for it.

Thanks so much for the guidance, keep it coming! :)

#8 ·
Thanks Bepe. I have purchased Glock factory 17 and 33 round mags for the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm and hope to start some "field trials" soon. :)

Reactions: Bepe
#9 ·
I have a Ruger carbine in 9mm. Love it. The nice thing is that I can use the 33 round magazines in my carbine when I want to do so. They are fast to maneuver with when you do a sweeping operation, like in your home or a business, and they are compact enough to easily be used as a truck gun for rural people too. They make a decent emergency all purpose carbine in either bullet size.

#11 ·
The 31 round mags I have are from a Korean Outfit named KCI. The biggest Glock brand Mags for .40 S&W are 22 round. Glock makes 33 round mags in 9MM and they are meant specifically for the G18 Full Auto Gun, but work in all the Glock 17 based pistols.

All of the mags are quite common and I saw KCI .40 s&w mags that were blocked to 10 rounds at the Gun show here in town yesterday. Drop the floor plate, dump out the offending plug and reassemble. This is CA and we have to put up with this stuff.

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.