Stoked----PC 9 - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By Bepe
  • 1 Post By butler
  • 1 Post By butler
  • 1 Post By curt mini14
  • 1 Post By curt mini14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 13:42   #1

Stoked----PC 9

I had been on the fence about getting one of these since they were introduced. I've got a boat load of nine of hand but magazine procurement was the main issue making me hedge.

I was down the gun store today putting a couple of pieces on consignment. The gun store owner asks me about a pile of used Glock mags he was holding. I asked him if there were any 9mm in the pile. He goes and checks, comes back and tells me yes. He then asked me if I want any. "I'll take ALL of them"!!! While you're at it give me one of those PC-9's too.

Horse traded a deal....hustled it home and went to work. Complete tear down for a deep cleaning. Typical new Ruger firearm....slathered in rust preventative. Any new PC-9 owner who does not do a complete tear down, clean and lube should not ask why if they have malfunctions. Every piece of this rifle was covered in the orange goop. I will give Ruger credit. Their owners manual is outstanding. Complete tear down including the bolt, bolt face, firing pin and extractor. I had about 20 pieces of the rifle laying on the table. Not to worry, excellent instructions. The rifle was very easy to work on once familiarized. Cleaned and lubed. Installed the Glock mag adapter and a Trijicon RMR I had in the parts bin. Took out all the stock spacers for a nice short LOP. Last step on assembly was torquing the stock and adjusting the barrel tension ring.

The action is smooth as silk. Cycled A-Zoom snap caps through it like clock work. Good strong ejection and a decent trigger. Stock weld with the Trijicon is tight, similar to the iron sights.

Should be more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. Hopefully I can get it to the range tomorrow.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Stoked----PC 9-dscn3863.jpg   Stoked----PC 9-dscn3867.jpg  

Last edited by Bepe; 04-26-2019 at 08:14.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:00   #2
Marine

Bepe,

Great write-up!

Can I be nitpicky? This is the Ruger Police Carbine 9 (PC9):

And this is the Ruger Pistol Caliber (PC) Carbine chambered in 9x19mm:

That's Ruger's official name:
https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

I know it's a small thing, but I'm sure most of us would correct someone for calling a Glock 21 a "Glock 45" just because it's chambered in .45 ACP, since the actual Glock 45 (the new one) is chambered in 9x19mm.
Bepe likes this.
"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." W. Butler

Last edited by butler; 04-26-2019 at 11:59.
butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:58   #3
Marine

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
You call it what you want. I'll call it a PC 9.
I agree with you that most people call it a PC9. However, most people are wrong. The correct name is PC Carbine or PCC, not the PC9. They're two distinct firearms.

I'm not calling it what I want. I'm using Ruger's official nomenclature:
https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

A lot of people also incorrectly use the word "clip". Won't stop me from being that guy who says it should be called a "magazine".

Again, thank you for taking the time to write out your review.
"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." W. Butler

Old 04-26-2019, 14:34   #4
Marine

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Well aware of the previous models proper name and the name of this model. Go to any after market site and it is referred to as the PC-9. Please go nit pick in some other thread.
Bepe,

Very well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and I hope you enjoy your range day tomorrow.

Hopefully with the release of the PC Carbine in .40 S&W:
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/rug...arbine-models/

We aren't too far away from getting .45 ACP and 10mm Auto versions as well.....

Respectfully,
butler
Bepe likes this.
Old 04-26-2019, 15:27   #5

Thumbs up

i do have a gun problem especially when you have friends who work at ruger.anyway i also got me a pc9 what fun this is since ammo is super cheap.i installed a 2 power m8 leupold scope i got in a trade.i posted a pic of a 77 yard target shooting brown bear 115 grain.mine also sports a 3# trigger and is a smooth shooter.i plan on shooting some 124 some 135 and 147 grain here shortly will see what it likes best.
Attached Thumbnails
Stoked----PC 9-img_1283.jpg   Stoked----PC 9-img_1284.jpg   Stoked----PC 9-img_1285.jpg   Stoked----PC 9-img_1286.jpg  
Bepe likes this.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 15:47   #6

Nice group Curt. Ruger had announced the .40 SW PC days before I bought the 9mm. Don't own any other .40's and the darn 9mm is so cheap it is ridiculous. A big attraction in making the purchase.

Rained last weekend and forecast rain this weekend. Hope to get it out. I ordered a Midwest Industries fore end and Volquartsen trigger group for it. Diving right down the PC rabbit hole.

Bepe
Old 04-26-2019, 16:08   #7

Curt...forgot to ask. How do you have your barrel ring adjusted. I have mine so that it takes medium force to attach barrel. One more click and it becomes excessively hard so I back it off and run it at the medium setting. Curious how yours is set as your rifle is shooting lights out.

Bepe

Last edited by Bepe; 04-27-2019 at 00:55.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:48   #8

i set mine up hard and now it just snaps in place if i went one more click it would not lock.also during my range session i took it apart several times and it held zero with no issues.was told by my friends at ruger to set it up this way.when they came down to shoot with us we did not shoot for groups but we were hitting everything we aimed at.
Bepe likes this.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:08   #9

Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
i set mine up hard and now it just snaps in place if i went one more click it would not lock.also during my range session i took it apart several times and it held zero with no issues.was told by my friends at ruger to set it up this way.when they came down to shoot with us we did not shoot for groups but we were hitting everything we aimed at.
Thanks. Excellent information.

Bepe