new Ruger PC Carbine - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 16:23   #1

new Ruger PC Carbine

Please forgive me if this is against etiquette but if any of my Mini-14 loving brothers and sisters are as ga ga about pistol caliber carbines as I am...I just posted about Ruger's brand new offering in the Rifles Misc. section.

Moderators please forgive me if I have broken any rules and delete/lock/redirect as you feel best.
Old 12-28-2017, 20:09   #2

I want one. Vey cool... break down 9mm carbine that uses either Ruger of Glock magazines. Ruger is getting their act together.
hawkguy and REM1875 like this.
imarangemaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 20:09   #3

I hope they offer one in 40 that takes Glock magazines.

kwg
kwg020 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2017, 20:31   #4

Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
I love the 9mm but don't own any Glocks. To gear up with mags is just too much trouble. Now if they offer one in .45 ACP that uses 1911 mags I'm in.
Bepe
The KCI Korean mags for Glock run $13 to $15. They work as good as Glock factory ones. You can get their 33 rounders for about $30!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:06   #5

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
I hope they offer one in 40 that takes Glock magazines.

kwg
That is the only thing that will make me sell my PC4.

Iíve been wanting to thread it for a couple years now.
imarangemaster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coctailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:20   #6

I love the list of features on this. If they all work, this could be a very good rifle.

Is it just me or is this thing just ugly as sin?
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:41   #7
large member

an.....interesting......carbine.

dunno what else to say. takes ruger and glock mags, that's cool. its basically a take down....very cool also. pistol carbines are cool. looks like if you cut it off at the pistol grip and made it a side folder, that would be sweet!

but its just "off".....imo, either the stock should be more compact & a pistol grip, OR there should be a faux mag to keep the appearance in the magwell flush and not so awkward looking. cause it is a very awkward looking gun imo.

for 500-550+......I dunno.
imarangemaster likes this.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:43   #8
large member

Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
I love the list of features on this. If they all work, this could be a very good rifle.

i'd say it depends on WHICH sin you were talking about. it would have to be a darn ugly sin to compare imo!

but as said....a few tweaks and it could be tacticool for sure. it should be a pistol grip folder imo.
REM1875, imarangemaster and Bepe like this.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:05   #9
large member

I got to thinking. If the .45 ACP version came out I'd be chasing my valuable 45 brass. I've got a ton of 9mm on hand and normally let the brass fly. Be way more fun shooting. Yes it is ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder......it shoots. GunBlast video had the range report. Trigger is excellent, accuracy was outstanding and no issues with function.

Just got back from the LGS and put one on order. What can I say...I'm easy.
Bepe
beauty is definitely in the eye of the beer-holder.

but its not hi-point ugly. and not even so much ugly as awkward. its just the puny mag that throws the entire look of it off for me. in a pistol grip with a collapsible stock or folder...I might be taking a hard look at it myself. this carbine definitely has some good features, function wise.

I think you'll have a lot of fun with it! enjoy & congrats!
magnomark, RJF and Bepe like this.
Old 12-29-2017, 14:39   #10

I'm wondering if it would work with one of those aftermarket Glock drum mags.
magnomark and Steak n eggs like this.
ApocolypsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 14:40   #11

Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post

Well she may not be the most beautiful rifle I have ever met, but if she has a nice personality and is fun to shoot...I am happy to focus on the personality and fun factors over looks!

disclaimer: Ladies I mean nothing sexist or derogatory here. All my firearms just happen to be female...for that matter my pickup truck is too...I know...get professional help buddy.

But as a married man with a daughter I have a significant vested interest in treating females with the utmost courtesy and respect...not to mention my responsibilities as detailed in Ephesians 5 and elsewhere.
tri70, howard2374, Bepe and 1 others like this.
Old 12-29-2017, 14:50   #12

I got to thinking. If the .45 ACP version came out I'd be chasing my valuable 45 brass. I've got a ton of 9mm on hand and normally let the brass fly. Be way more fun shooting. Yes it is ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder......it shoots. GunBlast video had the range report. Trigger is excellent, accuracy was outstanding and no issues with function.

Just got back from the LGS and put one on order. What can I say...I'm easy.
Bepe
Just buy a boat load of Tula steel case and let it fly.

kwg
Old 12-29-2017, 20:10   #13

To tell the truth, I'd rather have the new Ruger 9mm carbine than a Mini-30. I have two Mini-14s and an AK already.
jumpluff and Bepe like this.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:46   #14

I'm already planning a trip to my local gun store next week. Honestly the whole point I'm sold is it takes Glock magazines and it breaks down. I'm thinking it could make for a nice survival rifle.
jumpluff, hawkguy and Bepe like this.
ApocolypsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44   #15

Life is always easier with a link:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/rifle...ml#post1434882
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:34   #16
large member

well, since we're already way off topic.....this is also interesting!

https://ruger.com/products/77Series77357/models.html

I don't know how I missed this one. has it been out long? granted, I have been out of the market for a while now (like 1 year or so, lmao!).

I also appreciate common mags and calibers. and i'm a bit of a sucker for 357/38. and that stainless....sweet! the price tag is problematic though....like almost all rifles that shoot 357....overpriced imo.

there is some interesting stuff coming along. now ruger.....get on making that mini factory folder again!

Originally Posted by ApocolypsMeow View Post
I'm already planning a trip to my local gun store next week. Honestly the whole point I'm sold is it takes Glock magazines and it breaks down. I'm thinking it could make for a nice survival rifle.
I bought the 7.62x39mm Ruger American Ranch a month or so ago. The ONLY reason I bought it was because it uses the Mini 30 magazines. This is a huge feature having different guns that use the same magazine. Add in all the other nice features and this gem is almost a must. Another home run from Ruger.

Going to have to get a G19 now. Does it ever end.

Bepe
jumpluff, RJF and Bepe like this.
Old 12-30-2017, 14:34   #17
RJF

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
Well she may not be the most beautiful rifle I have ever met, but if she has a nice personality and is fun to shoot...I am happy to focus on the personality and fun factors over looks!

disclaimer: Ladies I mean nothing sexist or derogatory here. All my firearms just happen to be female...for that matter my pickup truck is too...I know...get professional help buddy.

But as a married man with a daughter I have a significant vested interest in treating females with the utmost courtesy and respect...not to mention my responsibilities as detailed in Ephesians 5 and elsewhere.
It is beautiful compared to the CX4 Storm, IMO. I'm a traditionalist. Love my CX4, but it is butt-ugly. Thank goodness it feels and shoots wonderfully, and matches my 92FS in mags and functionality...

Aftermarket guys will come out with walnut stocks and such for the Ruger. If it performs well, Ruger has come out with a winner. Hope so...
jumpluff and hawkguy like this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 15:53   #18

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
well, since we're already way off topic.....this is also interesting!

https://ruger.com/products/77Series77357/models.html

I don't know how I missed this one. has it been out long? granted, I have been out of the market for a while now (like 1 year or so, lmao!).

I also appreciate common mags and calibers. and i'm a bit of a sucker for 357/38. and that stainless....sweet! the price tag is problematic though....like almost all rifles that shoot 357....overpriced imo.

there is some interesting stuff coming along. now ruger.....get on making that mini factory folder again!
It was out a few years ago (as was the same rifle in 44 Magnum) and then out of production for a few years but was reintroduced this fall. Unless you are talking about the Rossi R92 I don't know that this is much off of the other offerings in these calibers in terms of pricing. For me the huge draw on this rifle in these two calibers is the Stainless Steel. In the summer perspiration and rain showers are issues...in the winter it is snow and rain. This is why I go Stainless and synthetic stock any time I can. Dare we dream of the return of the factory folding Mini-14....causes an old man's heart to to pitter patter!
hawkguy and RJF like this.
Old 12-30-2017, 16:34   #19
large member

jumpluff;1435874][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]It was out a few years ago (as was the same rifle in 44 Magnum) and then out of production for a few years but was reintroduced this fall. Unless you are talking about the Rossi R92 I don't know that this is much off of the other offerings in these calibers in terms of pricing. For me the huge draw on this rifle in these two calibers is the Stainless Steel.
it isn't overpriced......for a 357 rifle, which is just generally overpriced imo....

I think.....we might think the same in some ways.....one of ruger's most redeeming qualities is that they offer so many models in stainless. henry finally came out with their "all weather" 357, which looks dang sweet.

maybe I just wasn't looking, but I haven't noticed too many bolts in 357 that are stainless....its a pretty cool offering imo. but 800-900 is steep for a bolt gun imo. maybe its my pay grade that is really the issue....

Dare we dream of the return of the factory folding Mini-14....causes an old man's heart to to pitter patter!
I dare to dream! wood stock factory folder, wood handguard.....thing of beauty and every purchase comes with a magical pony......ok....i'll just settle for the wood folder.
Old 12-30-2017, 17:09   #20

it isn't overpriced......for a 357 rifle, which is just generally overpriced imo....

I think.....we might think the same in some ways.....one of ruger's most redeeming qualities is that they offer so many models in stainless. henry finally came out with their "all weather" 357, which looks dang sweet.

maybe I just wasn't looking, but I haven't noticed too many bolts in 357 that are stainless....its a pretty cool offering imo. but 800-900 is steep for a bolt gun imo. maybe its my pay grade that is really the issue....

I dare to dream! wood stock factory folder, wood handguard.....thing of beauty and every purchase comes with a magical pony......ok....i'll just settle for the wood folder.
Lol...well I guess I can't argue with you on the pricing. Yes sir, I love stainless and will consider just about any stainless rifle with iron sights that I happen upon. I am a huge fan of Ruger in terms of value and robustness and so many offerings in stainless only endears me all the more.

I had made up my mind to purchase the all weather .357 from Henry as I wanted something I didn't have to run inside and hide every time is sprinkled a bit, but when the Ruger bolts in .357 and .44 were reissued I went that road instead. I had meant to get both back the last time around, but always ended up saying "this rifle first and then I will get the two bolts" and then one day they were gone. I saw the .44 in blue steel but it just wasn't the same. Well when I got a email from Ruger that the bolts were coming back I jumped on them as soon as they hit the rack at my LGS.

I have never seen a bolt gun in either caliber in stainless beyond the Rugers. Well I think you can beat the MSRP by $100 or more if you are willing to wheel and deal a bit. Not small change I will admit, but I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, and don't chase women so this is pretty much my only indulgence.

BTW...think the Henry all weather is pretty darn close to the Rugers in terms of (over) pricing.

Well I had been holding back some fairy dust and a little bit of unicorn glitter poo for a rainy day, but you have talked me into it...I will kick them in for the quest to bring back the (preferably stainless) Ruger factory folding Mini-14!
tri70 and hawkguy like this.
Old 12-30-2017, 18:34   #21
large member

jumpluff;1435890][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Lol...well I guess I can't argue with you on the pricing. Yes sir, I love stainless and will consider just about any stainless rifle with iron sights that I happen upon. I am a huge fan of Ruger in terms of value and robustness and so many offerings in stainless only endears me all the more.
dang jumpluff...you have got me wondering if perhaps....my father might have been a secret, and promiscuous secret agent....just spreading his seed all over....

stainless and open sights....the foundation great rifles are built upon....

I had made up my mind to purchase the all weather .357 from Henry as I wanted something I didn't have to run inside and hide every time is sprinkled a bit, but when the Ruger bolts in .357 and .44 were reissued I went that road instead. I had meant to get both back the last time around, but always ended up saying "this rifle first and then I will get the two bolts" and then one day they were gone. I saw the .44 in blue steel but it just wasn't the same. Well when I got a email from Ruger that the bolts were coming back I jumped on them as soon as they hit the rack at my LGS.
so you own the stainless bolt in 357/44? please report your overall thoughts.....

I have never seen a bolt gun in either caliber in stainless beyond the Rugers. Well I think you can beat the MSRP by $100 or more if you are willing to wheel and deal a bit. Not small change I will admit, but I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, and don't chase women so this is pretty much my only indulgence.
your only indulgence? not bad imo. pretty much the same here (though I dabble in bourbon). beating msrp by 100 should be standard, unless the firearm is highly sought after. I prefer 150-250 less than msrp for the most part. being patient and waiting for sales and promotions will get you there more often than not.

BTW...think the Henry all weather is pretty darn close to the Rugers in terms of (over) pricing.
agree henry is a bit overpriced. but their "made in America" policy has me swooning, and their CS is WAY above and beyond....perhaps even a bit better than ruger's.....which is superb.

Well I had been holding back some fairy dust and a little bit of unicorn glitter poo for a rainy day, but you have talked me into it...I will kick them in for the quest to bring back the (preferably stainless) Ruger factory folding Mini-14!
you have me convinced....I am cashing in all my four leaf clovers and rabbit feet....i'm going all in.....come on ruger....come on!
tri70 likes this.
Old 12-30-2017, 19:16   #22

You will begin seeing this gun at your local PCC shoots soon. It is far more usable than a AR9, not to mention cheaper, and comes apart easily.

I am hoping for a .40 S&W version as I have .40 Glocks and don't do 9MM. Just a barrel and different bolt face, is all it would take.

Would love a .45 but I doubt they will do that as it will require another mag well adapter and bolt. If they did it probably wouldn't use 1911 mags it would use Glock 21 mags as they are higher capacity. G21 mags are 13 rounds and with Kriss Extenders they can go up to around 25.

I think Ruger has got another winner here, and I will find out about different models at SHOT in 3 weeks. If they came out with a .40 S&W version I would probably sell my Kel-Tec S2K.

Randy
Old 12-31-2017, 08:15   #23

To bring the 9mm and 40 up to .357, 41 and .44 levels you are going to have to reload. I do not reload for the .40 but in a carbine it might be worth getting the dies. A slower powder is an absolute must for shots longer than 50 yards especially if you plan on taking game.

In Iowa we can now use straight cased ammo to take deer. I have been looking at Marlin lever actions but since I rarely go deer hunting anymore, that would be an expensive deer if I only use it one or 2 times.

But, a .40 in a carbine at close range is almost doable. So many decisions. I'm glad Ruger has gotten back into the carbine business. It's been the most exciting thing to happen in the last 3 or 4 years.

kwg
Old 12-31-2017, 09:01   #24

dang jumpluff...you have got me wondering if perhaps....my father might have been a secret, and promiscuous secret agent....just spreading his seed all over....

stainless and open sights....the foundation great rifles are built upon....

so you own the stainless bolt in 357/44? please report your overall thoughts.....

your only indulgence? not bad imo. pretty much the same here (though I dabble in bourbon). beating msrp by 100 should be standard, unless the firearm is highly sought after. I prefer 150-250 less than msrp for the most part. being patient and waiting for sales and promotions will get you there more often than not.

agree henry is a bit overpriced. but their "made in America" policy has me swooning, and their CS is WAY above and beyond....perhaps even a bit better than ruger's.....which is superb.

you have me convinced....I am cashing in all my four leaf clovers and rabbit feet....i'm going all in.....come on ruger....come on!
Well brother, now that the secret is finally out I can at last admit that I have longed for years for you to come to the realization that you were not alone, but part of the "family secret" was an oath not to reveal this to you but to allow you a journey of self discovery.

I will certainly provide a report on the .357 and .44 when I finally get them out to fire them. Thus far they have only been unboxed to look them over. I have NEGC peep sights to install on both of them and may have to fiddle with the front sight to get them zeroed. Aging eyes make the peep nearly a requirement for me to have enjoyable shooting these days.

Aye Laddie....I have enough Scotch/German blood in these veins that I won't pay a premium price. When the supply meets demand...it should only take a few months...the price will come down to a reasonable level and then I will pull the trigger if you will excuse me for having a little pun. Too dag gone cold to shoot much right now any way, we (like much of the Country) are having an unusually cold snap here in Indiana at present.

I agree with you completely on Henry...outstanding all the way around IMHO.

Woots...I knew you would buckle...it was the glitter unicorn poo wasn't it? I pegged you for a glitter unicorn poo aficionado right off the mark!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:45   #25

Once again... Hawkguy has to ruin everyting.
hawkguy and imarangemaster like this.
whofarted is offline   Reply With Quote