Marlin Camp 9 - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 09:05   #51

After the yrs since the above thread, I forgot how much interest these chassis projects generated. The "CAD" drawings are between my ears, I'm an Old School Blacksmith/Shoe Maker-type.

$$$-wise, at my regular pay rate as a fabricator, the Bullpup would have earned me nearly $2K, the AR-style one, about 1/2 that (then add all the MagPul goodies and the M14 butt-plate). I seldom work from a drawing on a project like this. Both have the stock attachment points welded (after initial bolting) on the frames, to prevent issues with minimum OAL requirements. The full-length rails (EGW) screw directly to the receivers in all 3 projects, so any mounted optics stay rigid-true to the bore.
Whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:06   #52
Temp Banned!

Very cool!
40nascar likes this.
Turkeestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:24   #53

I haven't seen a Marlin Camp 9 or 45 out here in 20+ years and I didn't know what they were back then.

But I do now but still they are non existent.

What is not non existent is the new .40 S&W model Ruger PCC Carbine which I got last Thursday. This model was just released a few weeks ago.

I spoke to Mark Gurney of Ruger at the SHOT Show last year when they came out with the 9MM version and asked when the .40 was coming, since I don't do 9MM anything? I asked again this year and got "be patient" as an answer.

Well my patience paid off,,, mine finally showed up and needless to say I'm pretty pumped.

This gun is essentially taking the place of guns like it that have come before, back when people really didn't have a good use for guns like this. They were primarily designed as back up gun for Police or something to carry in your car or pickup, or a weekend plinker.

If PCC shoots had existed back in the day, these guns would have evolved and many more would have been made. Since PCC Shoots do exist now in great numbers, the Ruger PCC was concocted specifically to fit that market and the 9MM version has been very successful so far. Remains to be seen how well the .40 S&W version does since all the gun mags are saying the .40 S&W is obsolete. I personally think they are all idiots, but who am I to criticize Professional Gun Writers? Right?

Lets face it guys,,, all proper Handgun calibers start with a .4 !!!! Plus that the number of Glocks in .40 S&W (I have 2) will keep the .40 S&W alive for the rest of our lives easily. Plus that everything they did to make the 9MM more effective, they also did to the .40 and .45, so that argument is invalid.

Any way enough Hijacking here's a pic of the gun and I am really pumped!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-access-9.jpg  

Old 07-22-2019, 11:51   #54

Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Snip

What is not non existent is the new .40 S&W model Ruger PCC Carbine which I got last Thursday. This model was just released a few weeks ago.

Snip

Randy
Wow...I am super excited about this rifle...be sure to keep us posted on your experiences Randy. So did you have to order it or did your LGS just happen to get one in stock?
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 07-22-2019, 13:33   #55

Originally Posted by jumpluff View Post
Wow...I am super excited about this rifle...be sure to keep us posted on your experiences Randy. So did you have to order it or did your LGS just happen to get one in stock?
I ordered it thru my LGS, they are now shipping to the major distributors so the guns are available. I checked with my LGS and they found them at several of the big distributors, so I got one like that. They hadn't ordered any for stock yet.

Randy
Old 07-23-2019, 06:27   #56

that carbine looks 'all business' randy. I've got both camp 9 and .45 so I'm covered should my Mini fail (very unlikely) or a companion needs a gun. the idea of matching magazines to a popular handgun is a big selling ticket - some handgun owners do not own a proper 'rifle' nor do they care to whether not hunters or can't handle the recoil/muzzle blast or don't wish to stock another round etc.
the Kel-Tec folder 9mm Para is available with mods to take several different makes of handgun mags also. nephews have one of those another the hi-point 9 {or his wife does}. both shoot better than first look would figure.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:39   #57
Temp Banned!

Secured the buffer, spring, optic, and pivot mount.
Got out to the range this morning to finally try it out and couldn't be happier.

Love these little carbines, especially topped with the little 1x-4x 32s.
I'm grateful to own both calibers now.
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-img_20190728_131940552.jpg  

Last edited by Turkeestalker; 09-01-2019 at 18:13.
Turkeestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 18:34   #58

to hell with that noise. For 1//3rd as much, the Hi-point carbine serves very well.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:29   #59

Some of us are willing to spend three times as much to not have an assault rifle.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 17:59   #60

dont kid yourself. They will take the levers, too, the pumps, the bolt actions, the single shots, Either you kill them over taking the autorifles, or you'll have no guns at all, soon enough.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 14:34   #61

toyhw, your still not helping. Not worried about them taking anything. In my world I can afford anything I want. Good thing is I don't want much. The Marlin 9 is a sweet rifle. Marlin here talked me into it and he wasn't wrong. I bid on it when I was in Australia on a work trip. Asked the seller if he would keep the over 10 round mags and if he would be really slow in shipping. He agreed. When I got back, I let him know and he shipped pronto. The rifle needed a little TLC and I am glad I got it.
Marlin 45 carbine and Bepe like this.
Old 04-04-2020, 18:43   #62

I mounted a holo sight on my 9mm. Spare battery secured underneath the butt pad of the choate folder in hollowed out dremel hole.
Swapped in a heavy Wolff spring and trigger job.
Factory load 115gr groups tightest but the hottest 124gr I dare to load open not much. Come out with a crack from muzzle of mine and nephews hi-points and Kel Tec.
dh1633pm and Bepe like this.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30   #63

Marlin, hope your doing better.
Old 06-26-2020, 14:53   #64
Temp Banned!

I ran across a 922M in a little shop near a shooting range that I frequent.
For the most part, it puts me in mind of one of these little carbines, was it part of the 'series' so to speak?
40nascar and Bepe like this.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:55   #65

Breaking News!!! I actually saw a Marlin Camp .45 last week go thru my LGS.

The guy bought on line from a PP and paid $750 for it. It was used but still looked decent.

He had it shipped to our LGS and they charged another $100 to bring the gun in and Register it.

He was Happy as a clam and didn't care about the cost.

This is the first one of these in .45 ACP I have ever seen and only one other in 9MM a few years back.

Anyway that's the big news.

on another note: my PCC.40 is doing well and I have been using it in 3 gun shoots a few times this year and have also used it in a Rifle Class at Front Sight at the end of last year.

I use mostly the 22 round Glock Mags. However I have found they don't like being loaded past 20 rounds. Shorter 10, 13 and 15 round mags can be loaded to the top.

Randy
jumpluff, 40nascar, Bepe and 1 others like this.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:37   #66

I sold off my standard configuration PCC-9 during last months panic. It was lightly used and I got what I paid for it. I scavenged the Volquartsen TG9 trigger and dropped it into the new "chassis" style PCC9 I got direct from Ruger as a replacement for the defective GP100.

Topped off the rail with a Trijicon RMR on the proper mount and a muzzle brake from MCarbo. Glock mag adapter for interchangeability with my G19x mags.

Gun shoots 10 ring at 50 yards with my handloads. About 5 inche groups with Blazer Brass.

These pistol caliber carbines are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. If Ruger came out with a .45 auto version I'd be on it like a cheap suit.

Bepe
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-dscn4523.jpg   Marlin Camp 9-dscn4526.jpg  
jumpluff, r80rt and Turkeestalker like this.

Last edited by Bepe; 07-18-2020 at 06:10.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:01   #67
Temp Banned!

Well I broke down yesterday and went to pick up the 922M from that LGS.
Talked him into $450 OTD, which really just saved me the sales tax, but I didn't get to take it out the door!!
My common name typically gets me a 'further review' from the ATF, but thanks to MOB annihilating obummer's only true remaining legacy as the greatest firearms and ammunition salesman in America's history, I got delayed for the third time in a month.
If I'm lucky the 'proceed' will come through today, if not I'll be waiting until the LGS owner and his wife return from vacation in a week to pick it up.
Looking at it closer yesterday, it is the same rifle as the 9mm and the .45, and it even uses the same buffer for the bolt.
So where as it may not have been marketed as a 'Camp' carbine by Marlin, it definitely is a part of that 'series', so to speak.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:05   #68

Post up some pics when you get it.

Bepe
Turkeestalker likes this.
Bepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:18   #69
Temp Banned!

Will do my friend.
I looked for an extra recoil buffer that I know I have around here, but couldn't find it and ordered another off of eBay this morning.
Both the 45 and 9 needed a new one when I picked them up used, so it only stands to reason.
I also went on Numrich and ordered a couple of the 15 round aftermarket mags for the Marlin 925M for it.
I'll have to cut an additional slot in the side for them to work, but it should be an easy task with a dremmel tool.
That being the case, it won't be a big deal waiting for Scott and Karen to return from vacation next week, if the 'proceed' doesn't come through today.
It is topped with a Japan era Bushnell Banner fixed 4x scope, so I'll have to find another of the 1x-4x of the same, then dig through my mounts and rings to find a set of the Weaver Pivot mounts so I can set it up just like the other two carbines.
Color me weird, but I like similar firearms set up similarly if not identically, and I do love those little Japanese Banner scopes.
Bepe likes this.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:25   #70
Temp Banned!

Originally Posted by toyhw View Post
to hell with that noise. For 1//3rd as much, the Hi-point carbine serves very well.
Just to be clear, I have purchased two of the Hi-Points in .45, one for each of my sons, and own one in both .45 and 9mm myself... great little carbines, just not nearly as aesthetically pleasing to this old phart.

I believe that I paid between $100 and $150 for each one of them, well worth it... but so is what I've paid for these 'Camp' rifles... to me.

I may run across one of the Hi-Point carbines in 10mm one day that will follow me home as well.
40nascar and Bepe like this.