Marlin Camp 9 - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Rifles Misc All rifles not covered elsewhere!

Like Tree157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 02:40   #26

nice camp 9 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHbidXJqXA

nice video..nice gun.. I'd like to have one.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:17   #27

they're right tight shooting - and the +P handloads I roll using power pistol powder and Rem `124 gr jhp come out the muzzle with a 'crack'.
Bepe likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 15:26   #28

DH: We need a decent picture of that gun, the Cat can be there too!

Randy

Old 01-16-2019, 04:35   #29

Will get you one. My cat is like a dog, he has to be in the middle of everything. When people visit he is always very close to check things out. Got him in 2003 when I just got back from the war. Someone dropped him off at a restaurant outside Utica NY not too far from Ilion. The owner liked him, but the cat kept him up all night. Asked if I wanted him. He's been with me ever since. Will take some pictures of the Marlin and post them right away.
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-img_0238.jpg  
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 16:34   #30

As promised.
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-wslyosj6sk6uapo1wwx3%25g.jpg   Marlin Camp 9-fullsizeoutput_300.jpg   Marlin Camp 9-fullsizeoutput_301.jpg  
Old 01-16-2019, 22:41   #31

Wish I would have bought a Marlin Camp 9 back in the day. They were cheap and I have a bunch of S&W 5900 magazines for one of my pistols.

What were budget priced firearms like the Camp 9 and old Ruger Minis seem to now have collectors Item status. Well crap!

Used to be able to get the Marlin Camp for a song.

I've always liked the matching pistol/carbine caliber approach. That's why I looked at the Camp 9 back in the early 90s.

I had already bought a Rossi Model 92 20-inch barrel 357 Magnum lever gun to match my Taurus Model 66 ( original 6-shot) 4-inch barrel revolver back then. I'd also considered the Israeli Military Industries slide-action Timber Wolf with 18.5-inch barrel. Wish I had one of those too, as they are now discontinued.

The M 92 is a great match for a 357 Mag revolver. The Carbine really screams, adding 400 to 600 fps over a 4-inch barrel revolver, depending on bullet weight and brand.

The way 357 Magnum is loaded, it benefits from longer barrels, progressively greater velocity with each inch more like a rifle cartridge. Same story for 44 Magnum.

38 Special +P, 9MM and 45 ACP behave a little differently. There's a sweet spot for carbines in those calibers, with 16-inch barrel being about right. Even 18-inch might be too much 14-inch carbine may be better for the 9mm and 45 ACP, but 16-inch minimum is what we got.

I wonder how a Marlin Camp 9 would perform with the barrel cut to 14.5 and a 1.5-inch muzzle device permanently attached for minimum legal barrel length. And what manner of muzzle device should that be, so as not to ruin the non-threatening traditional wood stock rifle vibe it has going.
dh1633pm and Bepe like this.
John 15:13

Last edited by Beck; 01-19-2019 at 11:01.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:04   #32

I also don't shoot Unique anymore since I bought a jug of Hodgdon Universal.
But it is NOT Clays. Clays is a much faster burning shotgun powder that Hodgdon makes.
Kind of confusing on Hodgdons part, as my 4 lb. jug of Universal says "Universal" in big letters, then at the top in small letters says "with Clays tecnology".

Hornady, in the manual I have, shows a max load of Clays with the cast bullet in the .45 Colt that would surely wreck a Colt or Colt clone sixgun, as it is as much as a Unique load would be.
I'm sure they meant Universal not Clays, I wonder if anyone has got into trouble because of that confusion.
Anyway, Universal seems to be a lot cleaner burning than Unique.

I've probably posted a pic of this before a while back, but a friend has a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 that he had a shop in Texas suppress.
It is very quiet, all you hear is a cap gun type report. You'd think you were shooting subsonic .22 Shorts except for all the dirt kicked up by the 230 grain hardball.
It flings the brass 45-50 feet, and it is covered in black soot.
I can imagine even unsuppressed, it is a dirty action.

His Camp Carbine wears a cheapo dot that goes through batteries like Rosanne goes through Lasagna. If he doesn't remember to remove the battery after shooting, it will be toast the next week. I bet he's spent enough on batteries to have bought a much better RDS, and I've pointed that out to him several times, but he's kind of dense.
I am wearing earplugs here from shooting other guns, but certainly didn't need them for his Camp .45.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 23:13   #33

I load 'power pistol' +P loads for my camos. it's the easier to meter 'unique' and burns cleaner also.
new blackjack buffers are installed also heavier tension recoil springs.
sandog, Bepe and mrmike7189 like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55   #34

I haven't loaded any yet but I have on hand some #7 AA which is a bit slower than PP maybe benefit in the longer carbine barrel.
Old 01-20-2019, 16:13   #35

I used No 7 for a bunch of my loads with the 147 bullets. Worked and shot well.
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:59   #36

DH: Thanks for the pics the gun looks good. doesn't it have an "Australian Accent" when you shoot it?

I was somewhat disappointed at the SHOT Show earlier this week when Ruger didn't come out with the PCC in .40 S&W. I was told to be patient which indicated that it will come soon, but I was miffed none the less.

All these types of guns were originally designed to be back up guns for Cops so they had Rifle like accuracy and extended range over their duty guns.

We are more aligned with the pioneer aspect of the Pistol Caliber Combo.

As it sits my PCC and Pistol are a Glock 35 or 23 with a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 Glock.. If I really need to get into serious "Frontiersman mode," I could go to my Ruger SBH.44 with Marlin 1894 CB, however my Marlin isn't a true "carbine" as it has a 24" bbl. Still it is powerful enough to take down anything in N/A and alot of the world as well. The SBH just means you always have a gun on you.

The idea of a Rifle and Pistol obviously in not new, and from a practical standpoint it made sense for the Frontiersman to only have to carry one type of ammo. The cartridges they had to choose from are downright pathetic by today's standards, but they somehow survived, and the concept stuck around until today and will probably outlast all of us and our children,,, er YOUR children!

Last year at SHOT I picked up this device. It is called a 1 SHOT Arm. It is a "Dynamic Pistol Rest" which is not connected to the gun in any way. The gun is held in the device by only your grip. If you release your grip the brace falls away. It is perfectly legal everywhere because it doesn't attach to the gun.

You would say "what can you do with that?" Well with the set up shown in the pic IE: G35 with RDS I was about to hit Chickens at 50M 10/10, Pigs at 100M 9/10, sucked on Turkeys 1/10, but managed to hit 3 Rams at 200M! All with a G35 with RDS.

I ran a Plate Rack with it in 5.5 seconds the first time thru, and 3.8 the second time thru!

Under 100 yards I can hit a man sized target every single time off any rest available, and about 90% offhand.

It weighs almost nothing, so you are not adding the weight of a long gun to your kit. Obviously there are no ammo issues as you are using the pistol like you would two handed, the only real difference in performance is the Accuracy difference, which is night and day over just a pistol.

This thing makes your grip solid as Gibraltar, it also makes it so you have a solid sight picture that maintains itself thruout your target acquisition, and your trigger pull doesn't disturb your shot placement at all.

It is everything a rifle is except the power, and without the weight.

So I ask you, would this qualify as a PCC/Pistol Combo?

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-100464630.jpg  
Old 01-27-2019, 12:55   #37

It certainly fills the bill for it. I like pistol caliber rifles. Have four levers in 45 colt, the Marlin of course and a roller in 45 Colt.
Old 07-09-2019, 15:14   #38
Temp Banned!

I picked up one of the Camp Carbines in .45 a couple of years ago.
Got a reasonable deal from a pawn shop that I frequently give my money to.
Dandy shooting little PCC that came with one of the old Bushnell Banner 1-4x on it which suits is very well.
I tossed the see-thru mounts it was in and used one of the older Weaver Pivot mount and rings which allows just enough of a field of view to use the irons when pivoted to the side.
Not for a target rifle, but well suited for a PCC kind of set up... besides.. the see-thru's were always an abomination for me... and I love the pivots.

So I'm at a larger local gun show Sunday, and ran into one of the fellas
who used to work the gun counter of the afore mentioned pawn shop.
He sold me the Camp .45 back when.
He tells me that he was in there last week and they had another Camp Carbine in 9mm for under $400!
What???

Totally ruined the rest of the show for me!

Stopped in on my way home from work yesterday and viola!
There it was with a price of only $360 on it!!!
Got them down to $330, but only gave them some cash to hold it as I didn't have enough green in my pocket at the moment to bring it home and give them some cash to hold the NIB 100th Anniversary 1927 A1 that they'd knocked $350 off of their original price.
I usually won't pay out of pocket for firearms, mine come primarily from scrap copper money, and I'd not counted on the deal on the 'Chicago Typewriter'.

The carbine is filthy with a few handling marks on the wood, and a bit of frost on the left side of the barrel that should clean up easily with oil and wool.

Only one magazine included with it, no clue the manufacturer of it... fits flush so maybe a factory twelve?
I picked up some of the Chip McCormick Power 10s for the .45, as I was told that was about the best it would get.
I'd love to find a couple of the 9mm 20 rounders originally used for these carbines, but don't really know.

So I'm asking... what are the specific options for magazines with a bit higher capacity that are known to work well in these?

I should mention that I like the flush look, and am very picky about gangly looking things dangling underneath my firearms...then again the guy typing this bought 5 of the 40 round PMCs specifically for one of his Minis!
mrmike7189 likes this.

Last edited by Turkeestalker; 07-09-2019 at 16:09.
Turkeestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 16:30   #39

Mec Gar is what I've found to be best in my 9.
mrmike7189 likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 16:56   #40

I did what Marlin 45 said. Mec Gar 10 rounders work wonders. Can't speak for high capacity. If I got caught with one of those I would get more time that Epstein.
Old 07-09-2019, 17:45   #41
Temp Banned!

I realize that they're pricey from looking around, but were the original 12 round factory magazines reliable?
Old 07-09-2019, 18:30   #42

Mine came with a unlawful to own mag so I asked the dealer if I could buy it without the mag. He agreed so I can't say. I am sure that Marlin will chime in.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:39   #43
Temp Banned!

Picked it up on Thursday, and it is a 12 round factory magazine that it came with.
The rifle cleaned up very well but the buffer was crumbled toast, so I'm waiting on a replacement before I'll be able to try it out.

I swear those guys in that pawn shop lay in wait just to take advantage of me!
When I went to pick up the Marlin, they were just putting out a 2 3/4" Ruger Security Six that had been sorely neglected and was in grave need of an owner that would take better care of it.
Walked out the door with it for $175!!!
Those guys are almost evil!!!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:13   #44

Sweet. I got the new buffer and a new recoil spring that Marlin45 recommended. I can't say enough his suggestions were well worth while. I hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin Camp 9-c129583a-c27a-4a4e-9402-9a35c165f7fe_1_201_a.jpg  
Old 07-13-2019, 15:15   #45

mine came with the 12 round mag - hasn't bobbled any at all, and the mecgars do fine also. I keep a 20 round in it.
Bepe, Turkeestalker and mrmike7189 like this.
Old 07-13-2019, 15:16   #46

keep stock screws tight.
Bepe, Turkeestalker and mrmike7189 like this.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:52   #47
Temp Banned!

I remember changing out the recoil spring in the .45 to I do believe the 21# that Wolff offers.
I'm guessing that the 16# would be the correct choice for the 9mm or would I order the same 21# for it as well?

One other question for you Marlin, IF I were to remove the mag-safety on either one of these, is it ok to leave the void where they had been, or should a spacer of sorts be used in place of them?
The .45 has the newer(?) style trigger housing with the manual bolt hold open lever, and the 9mm has the older(?) style without it.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59   #48

yes, the 16# is what you need for the nine. and yes a spacer is needed in place of the 'tuning fork' I used a small washer of correct thickness and filed a flat on it in the correct spot needed. if you do not have take-down punches/pins nails of correct length that you've knocked the sharp point off a bit do fine. be careful there are springs that can go flying and make sure you have the small spring under the feed ramp installed correctly.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:13   #49
Temp Banned!

Many thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 08:40   #50

Hey Turkee,

Posted these a bit before your time here. If you haven't seen these, maybe you should. Started F'n around with these Camp Brothers about 10 yrs ago. The 9 is deadly accurate (SubMinute-of-paper-plate) beyond 100 yds. My old eyes would need a 1-6X on it these days. What did they call it back when; "Micro-groove Rifling" ;

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/rifl...-projects.html

The bullpup stock has 40+ hrs of development time, and is quite a gem in person.

+1 on the MecGars if they are formed right at the factory. I recall some issue with the follower in one of the .45s.

These definitely would get you prison time in the PRK and make Cali Progs FLACCID. What do they say; "Idle Hands (And A Decent Milling Machine) Are The Devil's Work Shop".

BTW, the pictured Muzzlite stock project is collecting dust in the closet .
Whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote