Home Defense - Page 4 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28   #76
RJF

I made my decision, and it was based purely on HD on a farm:
12g Mossy 930 16" barrel, semi-auto, with 00-Buck. Don't really like it personally, but is right for HD. No way I can "rack a round", meaning that it is loaded up and chambered and cocked, with only the safety keeping it from going off in the middle of the night. Slipping of the safety and it is good for five devastating rounds: one handed if necessary... No kids in the house, at least... That would be a "plus" for purists, and I can't disagree. Logic was an injured arm might keep me from manually charging, so a semi-auto was preferred.

I still follow that logic, but now prefer a 590 manually-racked, just because I'm not comfortable with a cocked and loaded 930 in my bedroom with only the safety keeping it from blowing a hole in my roof...

Perhaps my views will change over time. Manually charging the 930 always causes a jam.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 16:26   #77

Not a bad choice just remember 00 buck will over penetrate at point blank ranges. I keep my 500 loaded on safe in the safe. My goto is my dogs If they cry out or shot fired then he'll get a mag dump of .45 acp hand loads with 200 grain Hornady XTP's.
Timberdog likes this.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:37   #78

I will very shortly keep the FNH SLP next to the bed. Just want to break it in a bit more. I shot about 75 through it yesterday. I have to make some adjustments to my loads and then practice some more. Had the gas system setup for heavy loads and some not 00 loads that were lighter failed to cycle. Switching to the lower loads gas system will fix that. All heavy loader rounds cycled flawlessly. Isn't this why we practice and learn from our firearms?
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 04:38   #79

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
I made my decision, and it was based purely on HD on a farm:
12g Mossy 930 16" barrel, semi-auto, with 00-Buck. Don't really like it personally, but is right for HD. No way I can "rack a round", meaning that it is loaded up and chambered and cocked, with only the safety keeping it from going off in the middle of the night. Slipping of the safety and it is good for five devastating rounds: one handed if necessary... No kids in the house, at least... That would be a "plus" for purists, and I can't disagree. Logic was an injured arm might keep me from manually charging, so a semi-auto was preferred.

I still follow that logic, but now prefer a 590 manually-racked, just because I'm not comfortable with a cocked and loaded 930 in my bedroom with only the safety keeping it from blowing a hole in my roof...

Perhaps my views will change over time. Manually charging the 930 always causes a jam.
Most shotguns are not drop safe, I never chamber a round till I know I'll possibly be using it. I had a cousin that had a JC Higgins pump loaded chamber safety on standing in the corner by the back door. hHs dogs got excited and wanted out and knocked it over and it went off sending a load of OOO buck through the washing machine and dryer.
grumpy_old_man and RJF like this.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:18   #80

I don't keep a shell chambered either. Mine's a 20 gauge bantam Mossberg 500. After extensive testing I found the cheap Winchester and Remington 23/4 #3 buckshot patterned the best with the full choke. The higher end Federal and #1 Rio not so much. Lots of shooting, hunting, and testing with this gun, love it.
2rangers likes this.
Timberdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:38   #81

sell one or 2 od the shotguns and get a pistol, wear it always. You are many times more likely to be caught without the longarm than you are to have the pistol to not suffice. When they see your pistol pointed at them, they flee and misses have changed a lot of minds, too. you CAN have ammo in a pistol that's easily controled and massively effective, but you'll have to make the bullets and assemble the ammo yourself. Being very high velocity, they are AP, which scares the ammo makers. The cops won't like it if such ammo is sold to tom dick and harry. It's not illegal if it's made right, but that wont stop the cops from bitching about it. It would cost about $5 per rd if sold commercially, so it's most unlikely to be used vs cops, but facts mean nothing to the tyrannically inclinded.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:57   #82

No pistols. I don't keep a round chambered. I am using the FN SLP as the go to. Tested ammo. Shotgun is super reliable with ammo chosen. I am happy with all the input given and the choices I have made.
2rangers, RJF, RJF and 1 others like this.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:24   #83

you almost certainly wont have it when you need it. you typically get ONE second before LUCK is the main determinant of the outcome.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:11   #84

Understandable. My early warning dogs and cats will give me those seconds I need to cycle a bolt. Cat will yowl first followed by two dogs. Already practiced when critters are in the yard. Of course you don't know if its a two legged one or four til you figure it out.
2rangers and RJF like this.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:47   #85
RJF

Like clockwork when we moved into our farm, my Fi would bark a "they're coming over the wire!" vicious kinda bark at 2000 and 0200 hours. Turned out to be a racoon that made his rounds twice a night on our rear deck. Got me up twice a night (at least) and I armed myself not knowing what was up out here in the wilderness. Fi was very proud about chasing it away with her barks...and eager for the loves she got once I was awake. I sure miss her!

I don't carry in the house when I'm in my bathrobe anymore, but have ready access to a variety of firearms within the house regardless, none further than about 15 feet away wherever I am. Once dressed, I carry my CCP weapon everywhere.

We're in a bit of a peculiar cycle: I'm usually up at 0200 and am good until about 1700; my wife is up certainly by then and is up until about 2400 (often longer), doing "evening chores". So there is a max of about two hours when we're both asleep. No dogs or attack cats anymore, but our back porch provides a good overwatch of the driveway and barn area, which is where I take my smokes in the early morning. 10' away from a pistol or two or three, 20' away from a loaded up Mini-14.

I figure we're good, considering our remote location...
2rangers likes this.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:44   #86

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by toyhw View Post
sell one or 2 od the shotguns and get a pistol, wear it always. You are many times more likely to be caught without the longarm than you are to have the pistol to not suffice. When they see your pistol pointed at them, they flee and misses have changed a lot of minds, too. you CAN have ammo in a pistol that's easily controled and massively effective, but you'll have to make the bullets and assemble the ammo yourself. Being very high velocity, they are AP, which scares the ammo makers. The cops won't like it if such ammo is sold to tom dick and harry. It's not illegal if it's made right, but that wont stop the cops from bitching about it. It would cost about $5 per rd if sold commercially, so it's most unlikely to be used vs cops, but facts mean nothing to the tyrannically inclinded.
You might want to check the legality of "AP" rounds in pistols, as well as who you are telling about it. I'm almost certain atf types read this blog.
Rockys Pop, RJF and SMOGGUY like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 18:03   #87

AP ammo is restricted by what metals the bullets are made of, not by performance. If it's not made of brass, bronze, beryllium copper, cast iron, steel, it's legal under fed law. Some states, like CA and ILL, require a "lead core", but there's no ruling about how big or heavy that lead core must be. so a #2 birdshot pellet epoxied into the hollowbase cavity of a solid aluminum bullet is perfectly legal, even tho it does shoot thru vests. All it takes, really, is to drive your bullet 2000 fps, which can easily be done in pocket 9mm/s, if the bullet has a huge hollowbase conical cavity and the bullet weighs just 45 grs. Mag Safe and THV proved that 30 years ago.
Old 04-03-2020, 18:08   #88

I have a flashbang sort of "bra" rig that works well for sleeping while armed. I never sleep on my belly. I used a heat-gun to bend up the kydex welt, so that I have to twist the gun down and out. The simple downward motion of the "as sold" flashbang seems too likely to just let the gun fall out during a scuffle, or even my just jumping and landing hard, falling, etc.
Old 04-04-2020, 14:26   #89

toyhw, you ain't helping.
Old 04-04-2020, 14:28   #90

RJF, you have one sweet location. If mine was half as nice as yours I would still have a great place. Your one lucky man.
Old Yesterday, 09:24   #91

well, now, that's just too damned bad.
Old Yesterday, 13:50   #92
A-hole with a ban button

Originally Posted by toyhw View Post
AP ammo is restricted by what metals the bullets are made of, not by performance. If it's not made of brass, bronze, beryllium copper, cast iron, steel, it's legal under fed law. Some states, like CA and ILL, require a "lead core", but there's no ruling about how big or heavy that lead core must be. so a #2 birdshot pellet epoxied into the hollowbase cavity of a solid aluminum bullet is perfectly legal, even tho it does shoot thru vests. All it takes, really, is to drive your bullet 2000 fps, which can easily be done in pocket 9mm/s, if the bullet has a huge hollowbase conical cavity and the bullet weighs just 45 grs. Mag Safe and THV proved that 30 years ago.
Just out of curiosity are you saying California requires lead core pistol rounds? No solid solid copper rounds?
SMOGGUY likes this.
whofarted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:49   #93
Matthew 5:9

& popcorn........
waiting on this answer while "Jeopardy Themetune" plays in my head
2rangers and SMOGGUY like this.
Old Yesterday, 17:11   #94

I know, but you have so much to add.
2rangers and SMOGGUY like this.
Old Yesterday, 22:54   #95

Toyhw, for the record NY state is a MAY issue, and carry is very limited. On a practical basis, its easier to assume no pistol. Blame the governor for that. This is the only state I ever heard of that has two mutually exclusive counties re: pistol permits. New York City with five counties will not honor Albany issued permits, and Albany City will not honor New York City permits. Albany is the state capitol and NYC is, well, the ninth circle of Hell.
OP mentioned no pistols. Even Black Powder revolvers are stuck onto pistol permits.
2rangers and dh1633pm like this.
jor-el is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:55   #96

You seem... familiar.
2rangers likes this.
jor-el is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:38   #97

How many people here have had to use their firearm to protect? I have twice. Scary feeling. I started this to gather information and insight from others. I appreciate it. I live in a pretty safe area. Heck l left my keys in the truck for a week. Didn't notice it until yesterday when I opened my truck door and heard the ding ding ding from the key already there.

Both times I lived in Albuquerque NM. When I first moved there I rented an apartment on the west side. One night about 2 AM someone was trying to break into the apartment. They didn't care that my family was inside. My son was just over 1 years old (he is 30 now). I slammed the magazine in my pistol and cycled the action. That was all that was needed to stop the break in attempt. After that I got a house in the Taylor Ranch area, still on the West Side. The second was similar but it was the garage door they managed to open. Dog went nuts and so did the owner. But they ran.
2rangers likes this.