Home Defense - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2019, 13:59   #51

Got two labs. They are much better at the new house in noticing things that don't belong. The 120 pound lab has some protective instinct, but is no shepherd. Advanced warning is about all you can expect.
grumpy_old_man, chill1955 and RJF like this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 14:45   #52
RJF

Advanced warning is about all you can expect.
And gobs of loving! May knock an intruder over with licks - at first at least...

"What a good boy/girl!!!"
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 16:40   #53

Labs are what labs are. Licking you to death is part of their plan. All toys belong to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Defense-renderedimage.jpg   Home Defense-renderedimage-3-.jpg  

Old 12-29-2019, 10:04   #54

Originally Posted by RJF View Post
And gobs of loving! May knock an intruder over with licks - at first at least...

"What a good boy/girl!!!"
RJ, there are so many in shelters and rescue sites. You need another pal around I can tell by the way you speak of yours from the past. Put the sadness of losing them in time, behind you and find a new buddy. God told me you need one.
dh1633pm, W.R.Buchanan and RJF like this.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:48   #55
RJF

Chilli, I would embrace another pooch or two at any time, but I will hold off until (or when) God decides it is time for a union.

We're old and in-firmed (severe RA/OA for my wife, and metastatic prostate cancer for me), and we both believe pooches should have a wonderful life. Our greatest fear is not being able to care for them should one injure itself and we can't help due to our infirmities. Our grandson will certainly care for our pooches (should we get one or two), but it will take time for him as he is stationed in FLA and has his own aging pooch to care for.

Our greatest concern is for our two horses: one turning 30 in just a few days, and another tuning about 17. Our elder is why we even bought this farm and, with it, the joy and blessing of our Fi and Scruffy and, a year later, some barn cats named Spooky and Smokey (ones who greet me each morning with love and affection - and hunger I'm sure).

My wife and I both accept that, should God provide us with another dog or two, we will gladly accept, embrace, and love. But we will not actively search.

Right or wrong, that is us in 2020, both well into our mid-60s/70s+, with a beloved horse tuning 30 who has been "family" for over 21 years, a beloved horse turning 20, and two now-trusting-and-no-longer-feral barn cats now over 13.

As far as home defense, most mornings (I awaken early) at about 0200-0300, I hear Coyotes in the distance howling away, with an occasional one nearer, but across a decent stream that hopefully deters it's crossing onto our land. With one or two, our horses can probably kick/stomp some serious a$$, despite their age. Any more and that could be a challenge (not to mention our barn cats).

Since I have a sleeping disorder (not a really bad thing), either me or my wife is awake at night. I have only seldom had the need to head down to our barn in the middle of the night, armed, and ready for 'yotes or - perhaps - two-legged predators...

But ready I am!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13   #56

RJF, I could see the pain of your loss in your eyes when I came to visit. My dad is 87 and got a new dog four years ago. I will happily take him when and if my dad can no longer care for him.

You might want to consider another dog. A lab might fit nicely around you well maintained farm. Someone to hang out with when your in your office. No as a replacement, but as a new friend. We don't have to forget about our past friends. We don't get new ones as replacements. When I am traveling to Virginia again, I certainly will stop by for another visit.
RJF likes this.
Old 12-29-2019, 14:49   #57
RJF

Doug, you are always welcome!

Thank you for your sentiments. When God provides, we will happily expand our love circle. We trust in Him. We're just pretty much "maxxed out" with "chores" - even though they are daily acts of love and devotion.

Safe travels!
Old 12-30-2019, 08:01   #58

Doug says "look what I found on the road today" RJ says, "looks like this little guy/gal needs a loving home. Hint hint.
I know RJ, getting old is not for the faint of heart. I'm praying for your health buddy. God told me.
RJF likes this.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:59   #59
RJF

My Fi was a svelte 120 pounds with 32" shoulders when she passed in 2013. I did not need to bend down at all to rub her shoulders. Nor could I lift her without her help.

At 5'10, on a GOOD day I'm only ten pounds heavier than she was, with virtually zero muscle tone. I was down to her weight last year for a bit...

My wife and I have settled into two horses and two cats. I get the occasional "puppy-fix" from a neighbor's Dachshund when she walking it, or sometimes in town at the Tractor Supply Co.

My Fi still gives me signs she's "about". This morning - at the end of December in Central VA - I smelled roses. Not just a hint, but powerful both inside and outside the house. Fi loved her flowers, but especially roses...Brought tears of love in my eyes.
Old 12-30-2019, 16:51   #60
Matthew 5:9

I stole this comedic piece from many sources......

I own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors mailbox. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended.
Rockys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:21   #61

But stroke and bayoneted. Then I drank my morning coffee before calling the cleanup crew. THAT is a great morning indeed.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:55   #62
RJF

And my pooches licked up all the DNA...
chill1955 and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:12   #63

You guys are evil!

Don't you know that you can get an infection from black powder? And the smell?

OMG! Don't you think 12 ga. 00 is more Humane?

Don't we have to pay attention to these things?

Randy
Rockys Pop and RJF like this.
Old 01-05-2020, 20:48   #64
Matthew 5:9

but Randy, at least they won't have stomach worms.........if I feed them some black powder
Rockys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote