Home Defense - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 11:25   #26

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
I don't want to shoot anyone, even in my worse day I couldn't imagine. No pistols and no suppressors. Just want a last stand. Nothing in the house is worth someone being killed or even wounded. For now I have the 9MM Carbine. Short, handy and on target. Was thinking of the short barreled shotgun and some double 00. Thanks for the response.
Rethink the 00 buck and try patterning your shotgun with #1 buck, Its a better load inside a house. I use 0, 00 and 000 buck outside where I may need to reach out a ways or shoot through concealment and I keep slugs on the shotgun to selective load as may be needed.

My pest control loads around the homestead are Hornady 3 inch lead BB loads or #4 buck.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 13:37   #27
RJF

I have only one shotgun, so I keep it simple: 00 Buck. Don't hunt; it is for self/home defense only, except for fun blowing apart 1g milk jugs...
Rockys Pop likes this.
RJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 14:12   #28
Matthew 5:9

Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Rethink the 00 buck and try patterning your shotgun with #1 buck, Its a better load inside a house. I use 0, 00 and 000 buck outside where I may need to reach out a ways or shoot through concealment and I keep slugs on the shotgun to selective load as may be needed.

My pest control loads around the homestead are Hornady 3 inch lead BB loads or #4 buck.

I have always favored #1 Buck for the simple reason of 21 count of .24 cal. pellets. -vs- 11 count .33 cal. pellets.
For some reason most mfgrs. have dropped the #1 Buck pellet count down to 18 per shell, but increased shot diameter to .25 cal.

Old 12-01-2019, 21:29   #29

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
I have always favored #1 Buck for the simple reason of 21 count of .24 cal. pellets. -vs- 11 count .33 cal. pellets.
For some reason most mfgrs. have dropped the #1 Buck pellet count down to 18 per shell, but increased shot diameter to .25 cal.
It can be hard to find at times and I don't shoot it much the Winchester 2 3/4 16 pellet load patterns really good in all 4 of my 870's. I'll buy 20 boxes at a time and it lasts me a long time.

My inside the house gun. 22 inch rifle sighted rem choke barrel with a modified tube in it. Extended mag tube. Slugs on the gun via side saddle. I have a bandoleer with heavi buckshot loads for outside. Light mounted on gun.