7.62x39 recipes? - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 17:44   #26

Originally Posted by Rifleman55 View Post
Is the rifling twist fast enough to stabilize that long of a bullet?
WOW! Totally forgot about THAT issue as well... GOOD CALL!

Chances are... NO.

We all know how little weight difference it takes for a .223 to destabilize in a 1 in 9 barrel, when a 45- 60 grain shoots very well compared to 70+ grainers. Those needing 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 to shoot 70 grain + projectiles. a difference of only 10 grains bullet weight, and yes, obviously velocity, and velocity to weight ratios, and acceleration, etc... all come into play... but it still doesnt take much for accuracy and stabilization to go down the tubes.

I am willing to bet, a barrel designed to stabilize 120 - 150 grain bullets, probably WONT stabilize anything MUCH heavier, very well. ESPECIALLY when we are considering the thoughts of earlier with PISTOL LENGTH BARRELS, and 300 grain projectiles.

Rifle length barrels MIGHT stabilize something heavier if the twist rate is a little forgiving. Otherwise... Might as well get a really big slingshot and whip em downrange with that, instead.

Indyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 00:35   #27
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!

LOL, here, wait for it bad guys, I need to whip out my sling shot, and some recovered 1oz slugs to fling at ya... LOL

On a more serious note, Okay, 300gr is too large, but 200 to 220, with pistol fast powders loaded should not exceed the case pressure design, and should provide something close to just under the speed of sound, perfect for a sub sonic load.

I totally agree twist rate on the barrel is going to determine accuracy, and going down to a lighter bullet might improve accuracy, and still prove to be very hard hitting in a sub sonic format.

Then again, at some point, you get similar results from a .45 acp, and you don't have to invent the whole program for that.

BLAMTIFA: The new KKK with colored hair...
VOTE! And let's Keep America Great with our MOB
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:33   #28

I do have some experience with Sierra 168's in the blackout. I will do some trial in my CZ527 to see what I can come up with with the 220 lead bullets. I am sure a little Unique will throw that bullet through the barrel soon enough.

Oh while Unique might be a good choice, I was just throwing that out there. I do use a little with big bullets in the 45-70 and a little cream of wheat. The smell is so good. Emmm powder burned cream of wheat.

Thanks Indy for the response. I always take note of your posts.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 11:21   #29

Thanks, DH! the same goes for you as well... Always informative, intelligent, and interesting!!!

Do you use the cream of wheat as a "buffer" to keep low "load densities" from settling along the "down" side of the casing, when horizontal, creating a secondary pressure excursion? ( when the primer ignites the top half of the powder, causes the bullet to move into the bore, then the rest of the charge ignites and causes some form of unhappiness in the firearm? LOL )

I suppose that would work pretty well, with no adverse effects!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:12   #30

Originally Posted by Indyarms View Post
Thanks, DH! the same goes for you as well... Always informative, intelligent, and interesting!!!

Do you use the cream of wheat as a "buffer" to keep low "load densities" from settling along the "down" side of the casing, when horizontal, creating a secondary pressure excursion? ( when the primer ignites the top half of the powder, causes the bullet to move into the bore, then the rest of the charge ignites and causes some form of unhappiness in the firearm? LOL )

I suppose that would work pretty well, with no adverse effects!
Yes, yes I do. Never heard it explained that way. I used to do it so I wouldn't blow up my rifle. Now I do it to as a "buffer" to keep low "load densities" from .....

I add the weight of the cream of wheat to the weight of the bullet when calculating powder.

I also use two squares of toilet paper. Push them down with a punch. Keeps the powder in place nicely. You can imagine the amount of cream of wheat in a 45-70 or a 45 LC. But it does make a nice cloud when shooting.

Wife asks at the grocery store why I needed cream of wheat. Use it to load of course.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 17:56   #31

Very cool, DH!

Always good to learn a new trick, even if just for the " back burner of the brain" LOL

I dont have very many loads ( of the 14 or 15 calibers I reload) that would have that issue, as all but one are rifle, or shotgun loads, and I typically tend to load a little lighter than max loads, as those typically seem to yield better accuracy. the only pistol caliber I load is 9mm... and that small case usually gets enough powder, so as not to be an issue. But I certainly can see how some big bore casings could, especially if trying to load lighter " plinking" rounds, or the like, have the need for a buffer to maintain powder positioning within the case!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:00   #32
NRA Lifer Retired Army

.308 Bullets in Mini Thirty

I've been experimenting with loading surplus .308 FMJ (M80) bullets for my CZ527 and Mini Thirty.
Using RCBS sizing die with .308 expander.
21.0 Grains of IMR #4895, Tula large rifle magnum primer.
Bullet seated to the top of the cannelure which has the bullet just touching the powder but not compressing it in Winchester cases.
Crimping with Lee crimp die.
OAL comes out to 2.300".
This is too long for the Mini Thirty Ruger magazines but fits into and feeds and chambers without issue in the 5 round factory CZ527 magazines.
To shoot in the Mini, I single load 5 round mags and just change mags.
You can do this with the 20 rounders as well.
The round feeds out of the mag(s) and chambers just fine.

Accuracy is good actually, printing roughly 2 inch groups at 50 yards from both rifles. I don't see any pressure signs at all and the bolt locks back normally on the Mini.
Thanks.
Spitnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 23:38   #33

WLR primer
Hornady 123grain Z-Max
H4198 @ 25.5 grains
COAL= 2.178"
2440 fps

Ruger Mini 30 582 Stainless Ranch 7.62X39
18.5" barrel
TucoTom is offline   Reply With Quote