Mini 14 powder - Shooting Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 13:09   #1

Mini 14 powder

Hello Ruger Mini 14 reloaders. I load strictly handgun calibers, been doing so for the past 15-20yrs, think I got a handle on it. Awaiting delivery of a brand new mfg, Mini 14, and thought I'd break into rifle reloading for this rifle. Any advice on powder/bullet choice? Any tricks/quirks I should be aware of, for this cartridge/rifle combo? Are small base dies necessary? I'm loading on a Dillon 550 press, am partial to Alliant powders over the years, but know that IMR used to be the "go to" powder for rifle loading. Gentlemen, indulge me, and THANKS!
45acpskng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 17:45   #2

Ive reloaded 223 for decades. Never For a mini, so I really cant comment on anything mini-specific.

Ive gotten my Ar's to shoot wonderfully, and even a Savage axis under an inch consistently at 100. So I guess I could offer generic .223 reloading questions, if you have any.

I'm a fan of Hodgdon/IMR powders. Id like to say that's ALL I use... but I picked up a bottle of Reloader from a buddy, once, so there's that. Ive loaded probably a half dozen to 8 different flavors of powder, and over twice as many different types and weights of bullets, for the .223 cartridge. Some shot fabulous, others not so much, and others shot poorly, until they got tweaked, and then shot better, if not pleasingly so. I guess the takeaway from that is you will need to find what your specific rifle really likes, and then fine tune that to your purposes and perfection.

As a reloader, you already know that changing just one variable in the whole equation changes everything... so its a labor of love to find that which works best... GOOD LUCK!

Oh... I use LEE dies in 223. have RCBS in many other calibers. Those are good too, but I'm not fond of the de-capping pin setup in RCBS. Never used a small base die. Never needed to even with multiple AR's in .223 and bolt guns. I have reloaded MANY thousands of rounds on a LEE single stage classic press. yeah, it takes a little longer, but that's the reason I do it. I ENJOY doing it.
Indyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 18:02   #3

Hello 45.

As long as you are squeezing the brass down correctly you do not need the small base dies for a Mini 14. Get a quality standard die and make sure the ram touches the bottom of the die every time. Some brass has some "spring back" and that could cause you a problem. But, I have not had that problem with annealed brass like the military brass. Not that the military brass does not have some issues that need resolved. (crimped primers and length)

If you have any doubts about your brass being resized correctly I suggest you get a Redding body die and use it right after the full length resizer. You will know if the standard die is doing it's job if you get little resistance with the body die. Keep in mind the body die is engineered to push back the shoulder of the brass a bit so you may feel a bit of resistance as the brass reaches it's max depth in the body die. The body die is a great way to fix some other issues. Spend the money and get one. Two more items I like is the trim die and the Crow world finest trimmer.

I like fast to medium burning powders. The fast powders would be AA2015 and RL10x. They tend to give me the best accuracy but slower velocities and higher chamber pressures. I have settled on IMR 3031, AA2230 and AA2460 for the medium burning powders and 55 grain bullets. For heavier bullets up to 69 grains I like the 2460 and AA2520. I have not tried AA2495 to comment on it. Get a burn rate chart from the internet and base your favorite powders on them. H4895 and AA2520 are real close to each other if you like a Hogdon powder. Keep in mind that ball powders and some of the mini stick powders meter so much better than the big stick powders like H4895, IMR4895 and IMR 3031. If you are using a progressive reloader go with the ball powders.

I have many times considered the progressive reloaders but I find that several single stage reloaders are more versatile and it makes it easier to find a problem. Two problems I see right now is cutting out a crimp and getting the length uniform. I am not sure a Dillion 550 can deal with all of those issues. I use my reloaders to do different functions and a drill press I can put in my chamfer tool and the Crow trimmer into to address the length, chamfer and cutting out the primer pockets of military brass.

I just threw a lot of stuff at you. If you have questions let us know.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2020, 19:01   #4

Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
Hello 45.

As long as you are squeezing the brass down correctly you do not need the small base dies for a Mini 14. Get a quality standard die and make sure the ram touches the bottom of the die every time. Some brass has some "spring back" and that could cause you a problem. But, I have not had that problem with annealed brass like the military brass. Not that the military brass does not have some issues that need resolved. (crimped primers and length)

If you have any doubts about your brass being resized correctly I suggest you get a Redding body die and use it right after the full length resizer. You will know if the standard die is doing it's job if you get little resistance with the body die. Keep in mind the body die is engineered to push back the shoulder of the brass a bit so you may feel a bit of resistance as the brass reaches it's max depth in the body die. The body die is a great way to fix some other issues. Spend the money and get one. Two more items I like is the trim die and the Crow world finest trimmer.

I like fast to medium burning powders. The fast powders would be AA2015 and RL10x. They tend to give me the best accuracy but slower velocities and higher chamber pressures. I have settled on IMR 3031, AA2230 and AA2460 for the medium burning powders and 55 grain bullets. For heavier bullets up to 69 grains I like the 2460 and AA2520. I have not tried AA2495 to comment on it. Get a burn rate chart from the internet and base your favorite powders on them. H4895 and AA2520 are real close to each other if you like a Hogdon powder. Keep in mind that ball powders and some of the mini stick powders meter so much better than the big stick powders like H4895, IMR4895 and IMR 3031. If you are using a progressive reloader go with the ball powders.

I have many times considered the progressive reloaders but I find that several single stage reloaders are more versatile and it makes it easier to find a problem. Two problems I see right now is cutting out a crimp and getting the length uniform. I am not sure a Dillion 550 can deal with all of those issues. I use my reloaders to do different functions and a drill press I can put in my chamfer tool and the Crow trimmer into to address the length, chamfer and cutting out the primer pockets of military brass.

I just threw a lot of stuff at you. If you have questions let us know.

kwg
Thanks Guys! Narrowed it down a little bit, just traded for a set of RCBS Full Length 223rem dies. Is what I'm reading on some of the forums true, if I use Lee Factory Crimp Die, I won't have to trim cases? I'm a believer in the Lee Crimp die for handgun calibers, but skeptical with rifle cartridges. The RCBS Seater die crimps also, why a Factory Crimp die also? Again, many thanks Guys!
45acpskng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15   #5

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Full-length size in your favorite brand of dies. Make sure shell holder manufacturer is the same as the die manufacturer. Install shell holder in ram, screw down die until it touches. Lower ram, and turn down die ONE FULL TURN. Raise ram, apply about 10-30 lbs pressure, and tighten lock ring while holding the pressure from the ram on the die. This will eliminate "slop" in the threads of the die, and press, and make die more in-line with the shellholder/ram. This also makes sure you are actually full length sizing, and bumping the shoulder back the appropriate amount. Lube cases sparingly, run them through as a batch, then trim to length. For best accuracy, cases need to be the same length, so trimming maybe necessary after each sizing. Cases expand(bulge) when fired, resizing pushes the bulge back in, and causes cases to lengthen.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:33   #6

Originally Posted by 45acpskng View Post
Thanks Guys! Narrowed it down a little bit, just traded for a set of RCBS Full Length 223rem dies. Is what I'm reading on some of the forums true, if I use Lee Factory Crimp Die, I won't have to trim cases? I'm a believer in the Lee Crimp die for handgun calibers, but skeptical with rifle cartridges. The RCBS Seater die crimps also, why a Factory Crimp die also? Again, many thanks Guys!
Hello 45
You can choose which crimp option you like the best. The down side to different case length is neck tension and how it affects accuracy. I suggest for consistent neck tension try to get your cases the same length. You can use a trim die and a file or you can use some kind of cutter. I chose the Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer (WFT)

You are getting the combined information on reloading from several sources. Many of us started doing this long before the internet and we had to learn a whole bunch of stuff by trial and error. It's up to you to sort it all out. Like you we started out with nothing but a 2 die set and a case holder. I reload .223/5.56 on several single stage presses and I reload a lot of it. I have gotten it down to a science and to do it I now have 3 sets of .223 dies a Lee factory crimp die, a body die and several other aids I don't recall at this moment.

My primary press is one I bought in the Army PX in 1975. Except for about 15 years I had to put my stuff away when the kids were little, it has been in constant use. I have often thought about a Dillion progressive press but I'd have to divest myself of the single stage presses I already own. I highly suggest you get a single stage press to do some brass prep before you go to the Dillion. If you use military brass you have to eliminate the primer crimp. I cut mine out and others swage it out. Dillion makes the best swager on the market as far as I'm concerned. If you are a young guy now would be the time to pick one up.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

kwg
Old Yesterday, 17:23   #7

Check out my recent post in the general RELOADING section. I posted a little .223 reloading info there, along with a couple recipes and pics of the results... Mind you... Those results are specifically in the rifle listed... They May or may not work in your particular rifle. But... It might offer you some insight as to results with some different powders for the .223... And help steer your progress in a worthwhile direction.
Old Today, 08:58   #8

Hello Indy
Could you put a link to your reloading information in the RELOADING section. I went looking for you and only found one post.

kwg
Old Today, 09:46   #9

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
A load recipe for 5.56 that has been shooting just gangbusters for me is:
F/L sized Rem cases(no primer crimp to remove)
Trimmed to 1.755"
uniformed primer pocket and flash hole
Rem. 7 1/2 primers seated below flush
25.8-26.0 grn Hodgdon CFE-223 powder
sierra 69 grn Match king bullets seated to 2.262"
Crimp lightly w/ LFCD.
These rounds will shoot better than I can hold, and maintain about .7 MOA, regardless of group quantity. I have a target w/ 18 of 20 shots in a .65 MOA group, fired prone with a sling.
BTW- rifle is a 20" DCM profile, 1/7 twist.
While this may not be a direct apples to apples comparison with any mini, it may be a place to start.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:24   #10

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/relo...load-info.html

That's where it is. Not much... But might give you a starting point