Mini Thirty (.311 bore) and 160 grain lead cast load? - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr. A
  • 1 Post By Dr. A
  • 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 1 Post By Dr. A
  • 1 Post By Dr. A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42   #1

Question Mini Thirty (.311 bore) and 160 grain lead cast load?

I am trying to find appropriate powder/load data that will be sufficient to load for a mini thirty. I have the new tactical 582 series with a .311 bore and am casting .311 160 grain lead boolits with a gas check. Anyone have recommended powders and/or load data that will cycle the action of the mini?

Thanks,
Dave
wags68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55   #2

I have'nt tryed any cast slugs in my 30 so far. altho with the riseing prices of jacketed or plated that may be something I'll have to plan on. I've been casting balls and slugs for my BP guns for 20 some years so it's familiar territory.
some years back in 'american rifleman' c.e. harris a regular contributor published data on that same slug he was loading to fire in his sks. a search may turn up answers to your question - however no idea where you could begin.
since I've loaded the x39 cartridge for my 30 useing 147 and 150 gr jacketed I'll go out on a limb and say 4895 would do well, starting load 17grs, max 21. that's a bit lower weight than the loads I dropped for the jacketed slugs - but be cautious.
post results of a range trip - I'd be interested to see them.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36   #3

Don't know the answer to that. What powders do you have available? I can check my lead loading manuals when I get home.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2014, 08:12   #4

I have not purchased any powder yet, but have begun my tireless search for powder. I have not had much luck on finding "in stock" rifle powder and will most likely have to resort to horse trading on local sites for some.

Thanks for the reply's so far.

Dave
wags68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 18:31   #5

Far be it from me to claim any expertise concerning the Mini 30. I have experience with my Saiga and my CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Last hunting season I got a couple of deer with the CZ using cast and found them very effective. Some of the beginnings of my knowledge was from this article.
Practical Dope on the 7.62X39
He likes 2400 for the SKS and found it works great in my Saiga as well. Somewhere around 14.5 and 15 grains will enable cycling.

I really liked NOE mould 312 155 and softened the tip to get a Nosler like effect of good expansion along with good penetration. This buck was hit at 175 yards, and went 20 yards before tipping. I had it going well over 2300fps which was a great balanced load in my CZ, but perhaps a little hot in my Saiga. I got there using H322.

Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 18:36   #6

My Saiga cycles with 2400, H322, H355, IMR and H4198, reloader 7. Probably others work, but have not tried them yet. I am getting a Mini here tomorrow, so I have a bunch loaded awaiting its arrival.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31   #7

thanks for the link DrA - that is the article mr harris wrote that I referred to.
Dr. A likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 23:23   #8

I think 160 gr. is a little heavy, especially for a 7.62x39 autoloader. Also, I don't think using a leadhead is a good idea in this application. I use a 130 gr. sierra bullet with 24.0 gr. of 1680.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:30   #9

at the 175 yd range dr a took the buck I'm wondering about the effectiveness of the standard 123-124 gr slugs.
I filled 2 doe tags useing the winnny 123gr sp, they both came apart at range 1. 100' the 2nd at 150'. both good sized deer. I'm apprehensive of any but a profile shot at any range past about 75yds with the 123gr sp on larger deer or hog.
I've got good results on paper with the speer 150gr sp .308 slug.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:39   #10

Of course the original poster asked about the use of a 160 grain slug. In general, they are much more accurate (if made right)' than any of the short bullets. The bullet I used was designed to be used by auto loaders. The bullet is a take off of the Lee offering, that was designed by Mr. Harris for just this type of application. I used a similar bullet with a small meplat. It may be hard to imagine such, but there are those of us that live this stuff, and continually experiment.

Running the gun hard around without adequate lube would probably leave you with some complications of leading around the gas port/block, but with my marvel mystery oil, I have been setting pretty. Nothing of the jacketed variety can equal this bullets momentum at over 100 yards. The cartridge was not meant for hunting of this sort, so it's a move to make up for that. For those with the outside the box thinking, you can formulate loads with a bullet that has a pure lead nose along with a harder alloy shank that has a beautiful mushroom with penetration that kills quickly. Of course the OP only wanted a load.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:31   #11

I know there have been quite a few folks that have used 150gr. bullets. In this time of bullet famine, you shoot just about anything you can get ahold of. I've obviously not shot this out of my new Ruger, but 150gr.RN 30-30 bullet also does pretty well in my CZ. I've not tried it in my Saiga. Anyone tried one of these in their autoloader? I know there would be a decreased range, but the expansion characteristics of this bullet may outweigh the disadvantage of the round nose. I'm just curious if they actually cycle in a Ruger.

I've got several loads for tomorrow, but haven't loaded any round noses for a while. I've slugged the bore on my Ruger, and its over .310, so it'll be a little loose, but it didn't seem to matter to the CZ.

The lead slug, though wins out in this caliber every time so far.

Last edited by Dr. A; 04-05-2014 at 06:14.