New to reloading.. - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 17:36   #1

hey guys...just recently got into the idea of reloading...and obviously the first thought that came to mind was cost...anyone know a general price range for a fairly basic setup? i'd probably be loading 30-06 and .308....possibly .270 depeding if i can get a new scope on that...also..does anyone know a decent sight that explains the basics..such as tools needed and the procedure..dont really need anything too in depth..not gonna try to learn how from that lol...thanks in advance.

Steve
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 17:54   #2

dillon offers a video. most reloading manuals give you the basics. good sense plays a major role.

swill269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 19:14   #3

RCBS has a nice reloading guide that includes step by step instructions. It is obviously going to be biased towards RCBS products.

I recommend a single stage press to anyone just starting out. It's easier to change calibers and easier to weigh each charge if you want.

Decapping and priming the case without cleaning out the primer pocket can leave a primer poorly seated. This is among the the likely contributing factors of slam fires in automatics and may cause a poor seal leading to a leaky primer in a manually operated firearm. More good reasons to start with a single stage and use a Lee Auto Prime tool to prime the cases separately from the press.

Here's another good reference page with a "how to" section linked after the loading data. Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith

RCBS, Lyman, Hornady are comparable in quality. Redding and Forster/Bonanza are a step up. A lot of people are happy with Lee products but I do not personally care for the presses or dies. The previously mentioned "Auto Prime" is the proverbial better mousetrap. You need Lee style shellholders with the autoprime.
djl4570 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2004, 07:51   #4

Do yourself a favor and pick up the latest Lyman reloading manual. Read it from cover to cover and decide if you want to do this. I say if you do and most of us will. then buy the best equiptment you can afford. I recomend RCBS to start, yet I wont ever give up my Dillon 550B. A progressive press is a big investment , I did not get into reloading to save money. Too many animals have fallen to my hand loads to put a price on quality. Reloading is like a disease once in its spreads fast.
squirrelhunter likes this.
Old 01-12-2004, 17:50   #5

I have to agree with everyone here, I started reloading in 1979, mainly to save money so I could shoot more. Then I got to be friends with a guy that shot bench rest competision. At first I thought he was kind of a tweak, but he started showing me ways to improve the accuracy of my loads. since then, I've been hooked. Now a lot of my friends think I'm a tweak, but I've worked up loads for most of them and they call me whenever they have any questions. Common sence is your best friend. read the reloading books and listen to what they say, start with the "starting load" and work up to your guns maximum . No 2 guns are the same ,even by the manufacturer, whats a safe load in one gun may be over the top in another. There's a lot of good info out there,read all you can & have fun, it really is adicting. Maybe you'll be the next tweak on the block.

Good luck,
powderburn
powderburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08   #6

Get a good lee anniversary kit, contains averything you need except dies.
Basic single stage with manual and all for under 150.00
unclebill likes this.
shooter243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:29   #7

[COLOR=gray]I also started reloading because of cost and secondly for better accuracy. I started with a Lee loader, the one you use a hammer to assemble cartridges with, it works okay but you have to be ready for the primer that pops evey now and then while being installed. It scares the helk out of you the first time.

From there I slowly bought a press, scale, trimming tools, etc. Now most reloading companies have starter kits you can buy. I think they all make good equipment or they wouldn't be in business. A lot depends on how much you want to spend.

Myself I like RCBS, I have their press, scale, some dies. But I also have Lyman, Lee and Redding equipment. Plus I received a Pact electronic scale for Christmas.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 13:39   #8

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND A MANUAL FOR AN LYMAN ALL-AMERICAN TURRET PRESS?
SIGARMSP229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 18:04   #9

I have a Lynman Turret press. I can set up 2 sets of dies, my powder measurer, and Primer loading tube. I can turn the turret to go from one stage to the next. Lynman makes an excellent manual. Besides reloading data for rifle, and pistol, it has 22 chapters on how, and why of each stage, and each part of reloading so you get a real understanding of what you are doing. Midway, natchez, and Midsouth carry the manual.

cajungeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03   #10

Question

Originally Posted by sigarmsp229 View Post
can Anyone Tell Me Where I Can Find A Manual For An Lyman All-american Turret Press?
Yes I Need One Too!!!!!!
unclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:26   #11

All I can say is reloading is fun. I have always enjoyed handling, looking at, inspecting and sorting ammunition and like the fact I can load up some cheap .223 with any bullet I want. I shouldnt use the word cheap, as I have lots cost in the process. My process is different than some but it is working for me and there is more eqiupment I need to get.

Cajungeo: How many stations does the Lynman turret press have? That might be just what I need if it has two.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:39   #12

Talking

i just lucked out and found this setup for under $275 for everything including 500 bullets 100 cases and primers AND powder for 1000 rnds.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:39   #13

That is a good looking set you have and a great price. My wife bought me a used Lyman turrent and complete with all the equipment I need. I find it is a great way to relax and save some money also. I have not reloaded rifle ammo yet. /But hope to get some dies and get started. Thus I am saving all of my brass. I have reloaded 45 and 357/38 ammo for several years.
Give it a try, you will like it.
Tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 21:57   #14

A Lee single stage press and a Lyman reloading manual will preety much set you up. All that is left is the die sets and components. Lyman has some good info for beginning reloaders too. The single stages aren't as fast as a turret press, but you can load a LOT of ammo on one if you work steady at it for an hour or so a day.

I progressed from one of these to a Lee Loadmaster. I still use the single stage for rifle cartridges. It gives more precise loading.

Oh, I forgot a powder scale. And a powder dribbler would be helpful for rifle rounds. Pistol and revolver loads aren't that picky.
cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 22:01   #15

Sig, write to Lyman or go to their website.
cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:09   #16

i sold that lyman to an internet pal and bought a dillon 550b with dies/stands/gauges etc for 19 calibers
i got serious i guess.

i still use the lee single stage for various chores
bullet sizing gas checks load development etc.
Durango Ranger likes this.
Old 08-03-2014, 20:42   #17

Reloading has got me shooting more, chasing that hole cutting game, and now I have more ammo for all my guns than at any time throughout my life. Start slow, don't buy all the neck turning, ect tools; learn it all first. I have a Redding Ultra Mag Press, mostly hand tools for brass prep, and have dies for 15 calibers. I'm so glad I got into it also. My grandkids will never want for ammo long after I've left this earth.
Zhurh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:03   #18
Keeper of the records

IME, the Redding "Ultramag" is the best single stage press available.

Even though I have two Dillon 650s for high volume, my Ultramag gets used often.

Redding also makes the "Big Boss 2" which some reloaders like as much as the ultramag.

Remember, these tools are investments, so price should not be much of a factor in deciding.

Buy Redding, Lyman, RCBS and you buy only once in a lifetime.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08   #19
Banned

Cutter, I have been loading for over 50 years. I own 9 reloading presses. Would you explain how a turret head loads a less accurate round than a single stage press? The most accurate factory target ammunition is loaded on factory fast progressive systems. The rounds that win the Olympics are not loaded on single stage re-loaders. Urban Legends are only dangerous when you help spread them.
unclebill and Ben Dover like this.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 20:08   #20

Buy QUALITY tools. Junk is junk, no matter what it cost to begin with. When you buy junk it will wear out quickly and probably won't do what you want when new. Look at the warranty! If it is LIFE TIME, you are good to go. If it is a so called "2 year warranty" the company does NOT stand behind (except for a few small or cheap items, but not presses or anything expensive) than KEEP LOOKING! RCBS, LYMAN (I think, not sure), Dillon, Forster, etc are all LIFE TIME! Probably Hornady and other QUALITY makers too. Lee has a so-called "2 year" and they know what they make and how long it will last.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:25   #21

Cheetah was new to reloading in 2004 when the thread was opened! By now he is probably an expert with better gear than most of us.
fishslayerbob likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 17:10   #22

What's with this guy dredging up old threads all the time?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:10   #23

Originally Posted by fishslayerbob View Post
What's with this guy dredging up old threads all the time?
And yet here you are. Posting in old threads and whining about it.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 17:39   #24

Get 3 or 4 reloading handbooks, lots more detailed information , that you will need to know, than any video can show you. These are my most often used :
1. Lyman, (they have two, one is just for cast the other has some info on both cast and jacketed. I have both.)
2. Hornady
3. Speer
4. Sierra
5. Nosler

These are the ones that sit on my desk and get used the most.
Gary
gwpercle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 13:26   #25
Registered Member

hi there I have a rock chucker (1v) and I need a primer catcher I saw one on utube from tom but I cannot find it
747iac is offline   Reply With Quote