Mini 14 load question? - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2020, 12:00   #1

Mini 14 load question?

I'm enjoying my brand new Mini 14/584 series rifle. It's 100% stock as I intend to keep it that way. I'm gearing up to reload for it, as I already reload for several handgun calibers. I'd like to load on the lighter side, as it's a practice from years of handgun loading. Am I right in assuming with the overkill, factory gas bushing, this would allow for reliable function of lighter loads? Thanks for any help.
45acpskng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:33   #2

Originally Posted by 45acpskng View Post
I'm enjoying my brand new Mini 14/584 series rifle. It's 100% stock as I intend to keep it that way. I'm gearing up to reload for it, as I already reload for several handgun calibers. I'd like to load on the lighter side, as it's a practice from years of handgun loading. Am I right in assuming with the overkill, factory gas bushing, this would allow for reliable function of lighter loads? Thanks for any help.
Yes. I would suggest 23 grains of RL10x and the same 23 grains of AA2015. If you like a slower burning powder 24 grains of IMR4895. Another favorite of mine is AA2230 and AA2460. They would be in between the RL10x, AA2015 and IMR 4895.

You can adjust up or down from there but keep in mind the RL10x lists only one load for .223 and it is 23 grains. Since it's a fast burning powder be cautious about going up. Watch for pressure signs. AA2015 is very close to the RL10x. Another good powder in that range is IMR3031. It is slightly slower burning than the RL10x and AA2015 but faster than the AA2230.

I have found the slower powders tend to throw my brass much further. I don't know the science behind that. Since you have a factory gas bushing and don't plan on changing it you should be able to drop powder loads substantially.

Finding accuracy will be another issue. Reduced loads for me tend to shoot patterns instead of groups. With my Mini the faster powders got me the best accuracy. But even at that I had to move up and down with the powder amounts to find a better accuracy point. Nothing slower burning than AA2230 got me the accuracy I wanted consistently. That only happened with the faster powders.

I was happy with 3" at 100 yards but with the right amount of AA2230 I was getting 2" and sometimes better with the right 55 grain bullets. Those were the Hornady 55 grain soft points, V-Max's and Nosler Varmageddons. I was lucky to get 3" at 50 with most full metal jacket bullets. My next step is to try heavier bullets. 60 and up to 63 grain bullets.

Good luck on your search for the perfect load. Keep in mind that brass preparation will be important to accurate loads. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

kwg
kwg020 is offline   Reply With Quote