Tumble Soap for Cleaning Brass with Stainless Pins - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By Sparkie
  • 1 Post By coyotetracks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 17:04   #1

Tumble Soap for Cleaning Brass with Stainless Pins

Many have used Lemon Shine, Dawn, and car wash with wax to clean their brass with stainless steel. I have an I always get some semi-shiny brass. I was reading about Tumble Soap (see link) so I ordered some. Boy did it work. I tumbled for about 2 hours and the stuff worked wonders. Safe? Anyone else using it? Whats so special about it?

Raytech Metal Finishing
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:04   #2

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
I wonder if it will work in a sonic cleaner?
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:43   #3

I guess I could try that. Directions say to use with stainless pins. So a tumbler may be in order. I have both so I could try. Stay tuned. Heading to bed, will try tomorrow after work.
2rangers likes this.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:55   #4

I am trying it right now on some junk brass from the recycle bin. Berdan primed and rejects mostly. I will run it two cycles to see how it works. In the ultrasonic that is.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:30   #5

The ultrasonic cleaning did ok, but not great. Better than usual. I don't normally use this to clean brass. Use it to clean parts. Like my sks when it was full of cosmoline. Put the whole trigger group in. The other brass I put in the tumbler for two hours again came out great. Just two 45 long colt rounds full of the stuff in plain old cold water with brass pins.
2rangers likes this.
Old 10-11-2017, 13:27   #6

I use ERA laundry soap and lime juice in the tumbler (SS Pins) and ultrasonic. Stuff works great brass comes out like new. does a better job on primer pockets then anything else I've tried and I' tried a-lot of other stuff.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 17:21   #7

Sounds like something to try in the ultrasonic. Hows that work on like tools and stuff?
Old 10-11-2017, 20:35   #8

I haven't used it on tools. I use it in the ultrasonic to clean bolt carrier and bolt, trigger groups and assorted parts works good on everything so far. It does not take much to do the job. The ultrasonic cleaning powders I've used do not clean half as good. Dawn did not work as good either. I use Loctite No Flash Cleaner to clean calipers and other fine tools.
dh1633pm likes this.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 15:01   #9

I believe I read somewhere that it is the citric acid in Lemi-shine that does the trick on brass. Pure citric acid can be purchased in granular form, so that may be the way to go. I know too much will bring out the copper in good brass, so maybe just quality rather than quantity. Simple Green works better for me than the Dawn dish soap. Tumbling in warm water and rinsing in cold, seems to keep the brass from tarnishing as quickly if stored.
coyotetracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:35   #10

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Everyone, thanks for the info. My brass cleaning ritual is kinda convoluted. First, I deprime. Then, into the sonic cleaner with water and lemishine until pockets are clean, or I get bored, whichever comes first. Rinse in clear water, dry in 200 degree oven on baking sheet. Tumble in corn cob. Then lube and size, followed by another trip to the tumbler to remove lube. I think my tumbler is wearing out(on third motor and bowl support springs), because it's taking longer and longer to tumble. I think rotory tumbler w/ steel pins is going to be the way to go...
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:18   #11

2rangers,
Look for old rock tumblers at yard sales and auctions. They work really well for wet tumbling brass.

Harbor Freight also sells a double drum rock tumbler that works well for smaller batches.

I have both. The hex sided rock tumbler was an auction find that I refurbished and will do 300+ .223 cases. The "Harbor Fright" one works well for smaller batches.

If you have the rotary cage for dry media removal, it works great for removing the pins as well. Although they are SS, they will stick to a magnet, so just tumble them in the cage over a bucket and have a magnet handy for any escapees.

I air dry them outside on an old towel in the summer time and blow dry them with compressed air and a heat gun in the winter.
2rangers likes this.
coyotetracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:37   #12

I opened this thread and another like it on another forum. Not many answers to my original questions. Good info from people sharing their procedures, but nothing much on why this stuff I found works so well. From the other site some said that Tumble soap was like Ivory soap. Could be. But I found something that works better than Lemon Shine and citric acid or whatever you use and that I have tried.