For how many yards does 223/556 shoot flat? - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2016, 19:28   #26

Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
I think you are confusing the shooters "line of sight", the bullets "line of departure" and the ballistic arc of the bullet in flight.

If the sights are above the axis of the bore the bullet will rise above line of sight. The LOS has nothing to do with the physics of the situation. The bullet starts falling as soon as it leaves the muzzle.
that's all most true . there is a reason why its not true of high power guns and that's because there are high pressure gas's that are also moving with and around and even over taking the bullet ........ for a short distance then the bullet begins to fall . science
misser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 20:19   #27
Banned

I would be most interested in that ballistic science. How far does the bullet travel from the muzzle while deflecting gravity? Is this just trivia or is it effective regarding trajectory? I was trained in long range riflery back in the 1960s. I hve continued to use those ballistics. Would be interested to know the effects on the .338 WCF 250 grs bullet zeroed at 1,000 yds. Thanks.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 18:31   #28

I think the OP would be well served to study some ballistic tables.
flashhole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2016, 19:22   #29
Operation:Mindcrime

Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
I think the OP would be well served to study some ballistic tables.
The OP asked a simple question thinking someone might know off of the top of their head. Stating the obvious is very productive

Theres a revolution calling you!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion of Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:21   #30

The obvious is - it only stays flat the length of the bullet as it exits the barrel. From there it simply drops from gravity. No information aside from how long does it stay flat or what trajectory is best under certain conditions was provided. Not too obvious to me and many others who posted. My thought was the OP is unfamiliar with external ballistics, a simple suggestion to study them was not a bash on him. It would be very enlightening and show how many variables come into play. And it would help his understanding immensely.

Last edited by flashhole; 11-28-2016 at 15:47.
flashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:12   #31

Flash is correct and the bullet is also decelerating as soon as it leaves the barrel. There is no "Residual Push" from the gasses that escape behind the barrel because as soon as the bullet passes the muzzle the pressure is dropping rapidly, and the bullet needs peak pressure to accelerate any further.

The path that the bullet takes is a Parabolic Curve. And a Parabola has no beginning or end. It only has a tight end (Vertex) where the path reverses and the open end which flattens as it continues to infinity, However there is NEVER a perfectly Strait Line in a Parabolic curve.

A bullet would follow the top half of the curve as it's speed decays from Aerodynamic Resistance and as Gravity's effect becomes greater.

When forward motion stops at the "line of symmetry," (center line of the curve) the bullet falls strait down. At that point is its no longer in the Parabolic Curve. Gravity has completely taken over.

Now the escaping gasses can influence the direction of flight of the bullet. This is why the crown on your muzzle is so critical.

Randy
Old 11-28-2016, 11:54   #32
RJF

In all fairness to SOM, he was asking for some ballistics info in the OP. Could have worded it a bit better, but he gave us plenty of enjoyment responding (me first). And I dare say, some responses have been educational. SOM has been good to this forum with some very thought-provoking topics.
RJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00   #33

Anyone from Mars can't be all bad.

Randy
RJF likes this.