why won't my 223-556 reloads feed - Shooting Sports Forum

Reloading This forum section is about general reloading questions. If you have a specific question about reloading, please post it in one of these forum sections - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 2 Post By COSteve
  • 1 Post By Txhillbilly
  • 2 Post By fishslayerbob
  • 1 Post By Ontos
  • 1 Post By Ontos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 13:38   #1

why won't my 223-556 reloads feed

My 223 556 reloads will not feed they will not feed from the mag then sometimes they won't extract I have had this problem on two difrent guns and 3 different types of mags my buddy even had one jam in his chamber the bolt was stuck forward but not all the way forward had to send to gunsmith to get it out. I am using mixed head stamp 556 223 cleaned polished. Lee dies with factory crimp on a*Lee*press. Useing alient ar comp powder 22 grn.Hornady 55gr fmjbt with cantiluer. Bullet is seated to the middle of the cantiluer. Any thoughts or suggestions
540guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 14:25   #2

Could it be that the rounds a little long from the shoulder to the base? So they fit extra tight in the chamber. Is the load light so it the bolt doesn't go all the way back in order to strip the next round? Just speculating wouldn't know without touching one.
Durango Ranger likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 15:08   #3
Banned

Just a little enlightenment please, your dies are they 5.56 or .223 Remington. Your chambers are they .223 Remington, 5.56, or Wylde? What length are you cutting the cases to? Are both Case length and Overall all Cartridge length below Max- at Max- Over Max?

Maximum case length 1.850
Trim-to Length......... 1.840
Maximum Overall length (with bullet) 2.280

Last edited by A/J/S/USNRet; 11-14-2014 at 15:25. Reason: couple of specs.
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2014, 20:56   #4
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Check case length,trim if needed,check die set-up for correct depth in press from die base to shell holder!
The voices in my head say they don't like you!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 21:17   #5
Banned

I expect the crimp on you case mouths are causing the necks to stick in your chamber. Removing the crimp from the case mouths before reloading is always a good precaution. Many rifles will fire the extended cases but it is still over stressing the extractors. Just trim to length before reloading.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 22:18   #6

I trim my cases after every shot with Lee case length gage and trim stud so what ever that cuts them to I'm not sue not at home right now. I'm Useing 223 rem dies on a 556 gun. I have been deburing the case mouth before I reloading is that what your talking about. I'm Useing 21 grn of alient ar comp would that be to light. But why would they not feed from the mag
540guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 15:00   #7
Banned

If you have a factory load available, how much longer is your case?
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:23   #8

Get a gauge from Dillon's it will show if you are too long if it does not fit in the gauge it won't fit in your rifle.
gus3836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 15:54   #9

Done
Lone Gunman and fishslayerbob like this.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere" - Various
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." - Confucius

Last edited by COSteve; 08-20-2015 at 12:14.
COSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24   #10
Draw, Varmint!

Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Just trimming the case to a certain length won't do anything to cure your chambering issue. Unlike straight walled brass, rifle brass indexes on the shoulder, not the rim or the case mouth. As such, the base of your completed rd is likely too close to the bolt face and causing your issues. .......
As I'm sure you already know: Certain centerfire rifle cartridge cases do, indeed, headspace off the rim. (30-30, & 303 for example) Otherwise I think your advice to be, 'spot-on'.
Old 11-08-2015, 19:15   #11

I never crimp any rifle bullet. I set my dies up to have .003" neck tension on my case necks.
If your barrel's have tight chambers,crimping the bullets can have a negative effect on the case getting all the way into the chamber. Try loading up a couple rounds without a crimp and see if that helps. If it doesn't,you may need to buy a Small base 223 full length sizing die to size the body of the case down to fit in a tight chamber.

Sorry,I didn't look at the original post date of this thread!
Bepe likes this.
Txhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 18:21   #12

I am amazed at all the bad info that makes it's way into threads like this. I won't be specific,but you experienced reloaders know what I mean. Minis don't require small base dies,crimps don't increase neck diameter,5.56 and .223 dies are identical.......the list goes on ad nauseum. Well maybe I was a little specific,but I couldn't help myself. Oh and the one about removing the crimp before reloading. What??????? I mean what????????
MoeMentum and Ontos like this.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:58   #13
Patron Saint of Rye

Originally Posted by Durango Ranger View Post
I expect the crimp on you case mouths are causing the necks to stick in your chamber. Removing the crimp from the case mouths before reloading is always a good precaution. Many rifles will fire the extended cases but it is still over stressing the extractors. Just trim to length before reloading.
There is no such operation as "removing the crimp at the case mouth before reloading." Any crimp is removed during firing and/or resizing.

The only crimp to be removed is the primer pocket crimp.
fishslayerbob likes this.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:58   #14
Patron Saint of Rye

Originally Posted by A/J/S/USNRet View Post
Just a little enlightenment please, your dies are they 5.56 or .223 Remington. Your chambers are they .223 Remington, 5.56, or Wylde? What length are you cutting the cases to? Are both Case length and Overall all Cartridge length below Max- at Max- Over Max?

Maximum case length 1.850
Trim-to Length......... 1.840
Maximum Overall length (with bullet) 2.280
There are no "5.56" specific dies. .223 Remington dies are identical.
fishslayerbob likes this.
Old 11-09-2016, 16:44   #15

Get yourself a case length and head space gauge.
MoeMentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 19:07   #16

My guess if you are crimping the die is set to low and you are bulging the shoulder a bit. I always crimp with a crimp die as the last step if I crimp. See if a resized case will go in the rifle if it does that's your problem. If you are seating and crimping with the same die your cases have to be all the same length or a long one will bulge the shoulder.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 13:31   #17

What magazines are you using? Some of the aftermarkets are known for erratic feeding. Examine them closely for burrs, dents, etc. Do the loaded rounds cycle easily through the magazines by hand. If everything else is correct, faulty aftermarkets can sometimes be salvaged by replacing the follow with an OEM. Midway had these at one time.
Old 06-06-2018, 13:33   #18

Originally Posted by MoeMentum View Post
Get yourself a case length and head space gauge.
Should be standard equipment for S/A calibers.