Even if North Korea steps down, how long before this happens again - Shooting Sports Forum

News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58   #1
Administrator

Even if North Korea steps down, how long before this happens again

Even if North Korea is bluffing, and the step down, how long until the world is pushed to the edge of war again?

Whether its north korea, isreal, pakistan, india or even iran, how many nations need nuclear weapons?

Should the United States be a world leader in nuclear disarmament? Or would that leave us open for attack by some rogue nation?

How many nuclear weapons do we need? Do we really need the thousands of nuclear weapons that were built up during the cold war?
JRedHorse likes this.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54   #2

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Even if North Korea is bluffing, and the step down, how long until the world is pushed to the edge of war again?

Whether its north korea, isreal, pakistan, india or even iran, how many nations need nuclear weapons?

Should the United States be a world leader in nuclear disarmament? Or would that leave us open for attack by some rogue nation?

How many nuclear weapons do we need? Do we really need the thousands of nuclear weapons that were built up during the cold war?
These are just my opinions and you may disagree.

Wars have at their base economic causes. The internal contradictions of the current global system of economics is bound to produce more wars in the near future. The US has acted as the sole remaining superpower since the implosion of the former Soviet empire, but that superpower status has been slowly squandered by a succession of poor leaders. As of now, the rise of regional powers and a return to regionalism are all but assured due to the underlying economic causes. Regional powers that are not under our thumb are going to be more likely to use military force against historic rivals, particularly when pressed by economic hardship.

Atomic weapons? In much the same way that there is no way to keep "bad people" from getting guns there is no way to prevent nations from equipping themselves with atomic arms. The principles are all well understood and modern computer modeling technology has even allowed a regime such as the DPRK to successfully implode plutonium 239 based fission triggers. The next step in their development will be a fusion booster, so we won't be looking at 6-7kT, we'll be looking at yields in the 100kT range.

I don't see any way once the US is no longer the "lone superpower" to continue the suppression effort that has kept the atomic peace. I personally expect to see a succession of small atomic wars over the next century or so (not that I'll live to see it). Could this be the first? Sure. One tactic would be for the DPRK to seize Seoul and wire the city with several atomic charges, then dare us to take it back. Following something like the Pearl Harbor 2.0 attack that I personally view as the most likely direct attack that the DPRK could mount against us, that could be their attempt at a countervalue strategy ("counterforce" is when you attack the other fellow's military, "countervalue" is when you attack his civil population).

Ban atomic weapons? Might as well ban civilian ownership of guns. It will be both as effective and follow the same pattern of "bad guys are armed and good guys are victims" that we see in our everyday lives (those of us who grew up in GFZ anyway).

As far as the US stockpile is concerned, I for one would like to see work on a "long life" warhead that is relatively clean and very robust rather than continue with elderly warheads that may or may not have aged gracefully.

Best,
Grumpy
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01   #3
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Personally I would like to see more work on the higher tech style weaponry-I.E.;the star wars weapons!Otherwise-we may well be a one chernoble world!
The voices in my head say they don't like you!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 11:03   #4

deleted.

Last edited by JRedHorse; 06-08-2013 at 20:38.
JRedHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14   #5

Originally Posted by JRedHorse View Post
The USA is a warrior society, weather it is on a Nation level or the civillian level we are armed to the teeth as citizens and as a military power.

We have become the "police force" of the globe.

Has anyone seen the commercial for the US Navy " A global force for peace", they come right out and state that in the commercial, it's just crazy, we are begging for some small sh1t hole country to start some crap so that we can flex our muscle and relieve them of what ever resources they may have that we can use.

We have become pitares also but using laws that do not benifit our enemies we justify what we do.

Some one some where is going to give us another black eye like the one we got on Sept. 11, 2001 in NYC. Mark my words.
Good post.

America certainly is a warrior society (though the sheeple among us are certainly examples of a "victim society"). Just should have clarified that poor decisions to run our military's power projection down from being able to fight 2 major wars simultaneously, to one big 'un and a small 'un to our current status where ships are at port, necessary life extension work on carriers is not being done, etc. will leave us vulnerable to that "black eye".

Anyway, the "black eye" comment is 100% on target. It may not be the DPRK, but some prick of a country is going to nail us from out of the blue. Particularly if the DHS keeps looking at the returning warriors of the US military and the old patriots as their enemy, instead of looking for real threats. That's the biggest opening of all in so many ways.

Best,
Grumpy
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:44   #6

deleted.

Last edited by JRedHorse; 06-08-2013 at 20:38.
JRedHorse is offline   Reply With Quote