So AR15's are no good for home defense? - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

News and Political Forum News and Politics spoken here!

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 17:08   #26
Forum Vendor

Thank you Grumpy.

I'm not telling anyone that they have to choose one over the other, just sharing what I have learned through my experiences and dispelling the commonly spread rumor that carbines/SBRs/rifles are useless or not safe for home defense purposes. One has to decide on a plan/strategy that they would follow in the event of a home invasion and pick the weapon that gives them the greatest advantage for their chosen strategy.
Momo, grumpy_old_man and RWTBG like this.
301 W Deer Valley Rd, Suite #6
Phoenix, AZ 85027
623-434-8372

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Viper 1-26 INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 17:50   #27

Originally Posted by blamster View Post
Bro, if I can't hit a single intruder (likely scenario in ~99% HD cases) with 8 shots, the LORD HELP ME!!! (and a side arm for backup)

Originally Posted by blamster View Post
IRRESPONSIBLE to shoot a HPR in the city limits. There, I said it!
The problem with that is YOU are defining the intruder and the situation. Intruders do not play by your rules or your definition.. And that is the big difference. You speak about hypothetical scenarios. I'm speaking from actual experience. If you want to hope and pray that if the day comes and intruder(s) will only be one person, who will basically sit still while you shoot at him...that is your right. In that case as far as I'm concerned, you might as well just call the police and wait for them.

This is my choice and it's been proven to me. More powerful and accurate than a pistol, more maneuverable and quicker target acquisition than a shotgun, and more capacity than both.
Attached Thumbnails
So AR15's are no good for home defense?-10.jpg  
Old 06-20-2018, 18:35   #28

It sounds like someone on here has video game mentality where you sit in your comfy chair, the bad guys are predictable and all you have to do to reload is push a button on the game pad. Oh, and when you do get shot and die you never feel a thing and you come back to life in a few seconds to continue your gallant part in saving the world. I'll bet all the chicks (dudes?) down at the mall really dig him for his bravery.
magnomark and RWTBG like this.

We cannot defend liberty abroad by deserting it at home.
Edward R. Murrow (1908 - 1965)
Sgt440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2018, 22:31   #29

Originally Posted by Viper 1-26 INF View Post
Thank you Grumpy.

I'm not telling anyone that they have to choose one over the other, just sharing what I have learned through my experiences and dispelling the commonly spread rumor that carbines/SBRs/rifles are useless or not safe for home defense purposes. One has to decide on a plan/strategy that they would follow in the event of a home invasion and pick the weapon that gives them the greatest advantage for their chosen strategy.
Y'know my strategy for home invasion is to make sure the home invader can't hurt anyone and I only know one way to do that.

Frankly I don't care about appearances or "a fair fight". I want to win, and the best fight is an unfair one where I have the advantage. If I thought that a "sporting shotgun" gave me the best unfair advantage over the perps, I'd go that way, but I honestly think that a carbine/SBR gives the biggest advantage over multiple targets. A few years ago an acquaintance of mine was killed by home invaders, 3 of them. These multiple home invader things seem to be becoming more common, maybe that's a flawed perception, but even so I want the quicker followup shot I get with an intermediate caliber over a shotgun and the larger cap magazine for multiple targets. Hell, I'd prefer to be behind a 1919A4 on a tripod with the bad guys stacked up in a hallway, but that's hoping for too much in the real world.

And to the shotgun guys, yeah I would grab my Ithaca if that's all that was handy. But I'd much prefer to have something like an AR or AK ready to roll.

Grumpy
Momo and Viper 1-26 INF like this.
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39   #30

Originally Posted by grumpy_old_man View Post
...Hell, I'd prefer to be behind a 1919A4 on a tripod with the bad guys stacked up in a hallway...
Now you're talking.

If somebody busts into your house in the middle of the night you have to assume the worst. No mercy, keep banging away until they're no longer moving.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:09   #31

Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
Yeah, I have a great watchdog. She patrols and watches the entrances all the time. Hearing the slightest noise, she takes off to investigate. Nobody gets near the house without me knowing day or night.

If I could only have one firearm for self defense, it would be "The Beast"

The Beast Belt Dump
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L66ThY8WTvk
Hopefully you know a good drywall guy? OMG!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:18   #32

Through out the summer we sleep with our windows open at night. Any good castle defense starts with a sentry on duty. Until my male passed away a few years ago, we had about 320lbs of Anatolian Shepherds on duty. In that scenario the poor bastard who entered through a window would be mauled. Now with our old Ellie girl left, she would let daddy know and in the moment of confusion the bad guy has to make a decision, if they stay then they will be dispatched and I will not be going to trial.
If I didn't have a sentry I would place my short barreled Mossberg (because it was the cheapest), Velcro it just under the bed frame with 00 buck. I would lie flat on the floor next to the bed and when the door cracked open, they would go to their judgement.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54   #33
Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
Through out the summer we sleep with our windows open at night. Any good castle defense starts with a sentry on duty. Until my male passed away a few years ago, we had about 320lbs of Anatolian Shepherds on duty. In that scenario the poor bastard who entered through a window would be mauled. Now with our old Ellie girl left, she would let daddy know and in the moment of confusion the bad guy has to make a decision, if they stay then they will be dispatched and I will not be going to trial.
If I didn't have a sentry I would place my short barreled Mossberg (because it was the cheapest), Velcro it just under the bed frame with 00 buck. I would lie flat on the floor next to the bed and when the door cracked open, they would go to their judgement.
Used to have a male Kangal dog, nobody wanted to mess with that dog. They look cute and passive/docile, but once someone does something they shouldn't be doing those dogs are on top of them. Strongest bite force too. Been looking at getting another Kangal or Anatolian. Might be moving out to Virginia in the next year or two though, so will have to hold off till then.
301 W Deer Valley Rd, Suite #6
Phoenix, AZ 85027
623-434-8372

Last edited by Viper 1-26 INF; 06-21-2018 at 12:38.
Viper 1-26 INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 20:00   #34

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
Hopefully you know a good drywall guy? OMG!
Patching teeny holes in drywall is easy. Its the big ones that are a PITA. My preferred poison for patching drywall is the same stuff I use on plaster and lathe (after knocking out all the loose plaster): https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1751994&rt=rud

Works like a champ. Only trick is not to let it get old. Get a fresh tub of the stuff, do all your repairs and figure that even with the container sealed it won't last forever. Bigger holes (5" or larger) I like to tie in a backer piece into the drywall with screws to keep the repair compound from falling through the hole. Replastering is easy but expensive if you have to do a lot.

Back OT, use whatever you want for HD, but I have to admit I'm more comfortable with an intermediate caliber carbine these days than I am with my old shotgun. If I run into a mob of perps I get more shots without reloading and have quicker followup shots.

Grumpy
chill1955 likes this.

Last edited by grumpy_old_man; 08-18-2019 at 07:48.
Old 06-21-2018, 20:29   #35

Well If I had to dedicate an AR15 for home defense I would put a laser on it I could activate with my non shooting hand. Be accurate is all I can say.
Old 06-21-2018, 21:10   #36

Drywall is the greatest invention since sliced bread. Hardly any tools required. The **** I loathe is repairing dry rot.

Top 10 protective dogs. Did yours make the cut?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iEF3ecKYcqE#

Mine was #3. Chows have almost as much biting force as a pit bull. The 6 rodents she killed in my backyard never stood a chance

Bred in China and inherently territorial. This lovable breed would defend it's home by going after a gate crasher without a second thought.
grumpy_old_man likes this.

Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 21:50   #37
Honor our Constitution !

heavily armed neighbors watching our house as we watch theirs
steel doors with x-tra long deadbolts
80# Hound + 60# Pitt
Hi Cap big bore pistols at strategic points throughout.

we live in such a densely populated neighborhood that even mid-powered rifle rounds could spell disaster for someone we care about.........so lots of big bore pistol rounds flying about is as good as we can do, in good concience.
chill1955 likes this.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:42   #38

Up until recently I believed .223/5.56 was a poor choice for home defense because of over-penetration through walls. I was discussing this with a co-worker who told me it's quite the opposite so I decided to do some research on the topic. It appears he was correct.

Why ?High Powered? 5.56 NATO/.223 AR-15 Ammo is Safer For Home Defense (FBI overpenetration testing) | Prepared Gun Owners

We cannot defend liberty abroad by deserting it at home.
Edward R. Murrow (1908 - 1965)
Sgt440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 23:45   #39

I have a KSG and a Mossberg 500 Cruiser, but I'm grabbing my Tavor first and my AR pistol in 300 Blackout second during a home invasion.

Actually one of my Glocks is always within reach and I'll have it, but if I have time the Tavor is first.
BengalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14   #40

Drywall is the greatest invention since sliced bread. Hardly any tools required. The **** I loathe is repairing dry rot.

Top 10 protective dogs. Did yours make the cut?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iEF3ecKYcqE#

Mine was #3. Chows have almost as much biting force as a pit bull. The 6 rodents she killed in my backyard never stood a chance

Bred in China and inherently territorial. This lovable breed would defend it's home by going after a gate crasher without a second thought.
Dry rot is bad, subterranean termite damage is worse (trust me). Not only gotta poison the ground after trenching and drilling, gotta seal whatever foundation crack let 'em in then gotta get all the ruined wood out or the next thing you know you've got a butt-load of carpenter ants setting up shop (sometimes those little bastards will kick out the termites but then you've got ants everywhere).

Back OT, I have to admit I've never really liked 5.56x45 except as a moderate range target cartridge but after reading through some of the posts here it does have some real utility indoors with respect to penetration. Just wish we had got the Hearing Protection Act passed before we got stabbed in the back by Ryan.

Grumpy

Last edited by grumpy_old_man; 08-18-2019 at 07:49.
Old 06-24-2018, 14:08   #41

Originally Posted by BengalBacker View Post
I have a KSG and a Mossberg 500 Cruiser, but I'm grabbing my Tavor first and my AR pistol in 300 Blackout second during a home invasion.

Actually one of my Glocks is always within reach and I'll have it, but if I have time the Tavor is first.
Getem Tiger.
BengalBacker likes this.
Old 06-24-2018, 21:53   #42

We have termites as well.....just saying drywall isn't a structural issue because it's basically a big sheet of chalk sandwiched between cardboard. Fungus and bugs are attracted by the same thing....damp wood. Can't do much to prevent moisture if you happen to own river front property that floods every 4-5 years.

My uncle had the right idea when he built a house south of the border only a stone's throw away from the ocean. 100% concrete foundation, walls, and roof. Nothing left for the little buggers to eat. Even the doors are made of fiberglass.

OT. If I did an AR pistol, I'd follow BB's lead. While I think 300 AAC has been over hyped, I think it has merit in a short barrel application around 9 inches or less. Velocities don't fall off as quickly as a short barreled .223.

I can't get a silencer where I live legally but I don't understand why people use rifle calibers. You have to reduce velocities drastically for them work properly. By the time you get them subsonic, they're no more powerful than a handgun cartridge.

Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 23:33   #43

OT. If I did an AR pistol, I'd follow BB's lead. While I think 300 AAC has been over hyped, I think it has merit in a short barrel application around 9 inches or less. Velocities don't fall off as quickly as a short barreled .223.

I can't get a silencer where I live legally but I don't understand why people use rifle calibers. You have to reduce velocities drastically for them work properly. By the time you get them subsonic, they're no more powerful than a handgun cartridge.
When I decided I wanted an AR pistol I expected I'd be getting a .223, but as I researched it, the 300 AAC seemed like the better option. Mine is an 8.5" barrel, which is right where 300 is supposed to shine compared to the .223.

I'd love to have a suppressor, but at least right now, I'm not going through the hassle and expense of a $200 tax stamp and 8 month wait. For a while it looked like the Hearing Protection Act had a chance of getting through until that asshole shot up Vegas.

The one I got is just a PSA $500 one. I like it though. I put a Holosun RD and a CT Rail mount green laser on it. It's mostly a trunk gun.
BengalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote