Ruger Factory Folding Stock - Shooting Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08   #1
Registered Member

Ruger Factory Folding Stock

I really like the old school factory side folder. I have a Stainless Mini 30 Serial number starts with 197. Can I fit one of those stocks on my rig?

Thanks so much for the help.
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06   #2

First you have to locate one. They are out there but they command a premium price. One or two members has done what you want to do. They have mounted a Mini 30 in an old factory wood stock. It just needed some inletting on the wood. The factory folder is a item that has come and gone. I doubt they will ever be made again But some of us just like them for what they were. Good luck on your quest.........................Joe
Old 04-26-2012, 20:34   #3
Registered Member

Joe,

I am thinking of just buying a mini 14 and keeping it that way! I really like the factory side folder. Are they all the same or should I look for a certain series one with the sidefolder?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:32   #4

Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
Joe,

I am thinking of just buying a mini 14 and keeping it that way! I really like the factory side folder. Are they all the same or should I look for a certain series one with the sidefolder?
Being that you already own a Mini,it puts you in a position that you could go either way. Just buying the stock which will come up on ebay once in a while or buying the complete package. The original folders will be in the 183xxx series and above I believe. They are out there just take your time and search around. Stainless are more coveted but don't pass up on a blued one if you come across one. My second folder is a stainless folder with a blued action. The other one I have is a 184xxx series blued in an unfired condition. It belonged to a good friend who has since passed. It was a sentimental buy. I have documation stating it was born in June 1983 from Ruger. Take your time it will happen...............................Joe
Old 04-27-2012, 14:23   #5
Registered Member

Joe,

I will watch for the stocks. I want a nice one. Well unless a nice whole gun comes up. I appreciate your help. Funny thing I bought the stainless mini 30 as impulse buy... a friend had it and offered it to me with 4 mags, scope and 500rounds of ammo for $440. So what could I do

Thanks so much and take care
Ralph
Old 04-27-2012, 15:35   #6

Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
Joe,

I will watch for the stocks. I want a nice one. Well unless a nice whole gun comes up. I appreciate your help. Funny thing I bought the stainless mini 30 as impulse buy... a friend had it and offered it to me with 4 mags, scope and 500rounds of ammo for $440. So what could I do

Thanks so much and take care
Ralph
I know all about impulse buys. Bought a few motorcycles that way. They always seem to find me. Do a search on PU. Just type in "Factory Folders". There is a ton of info to digest. If I see or hear of one I will pass it on.....................Joe
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14   #7
Registered Member

Joe,

I had some personal issues come up and had to put buying a side folder on hold. So I am back at it. Is there a way I can verify it came as a factory side folder? For collecting reasons I would prefer that.

Thanks
Ralph
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40   #8
Super Vendor

You can fit a Mini30 to it but you'll need to do some inletting and install the proper magazine reinforcement liner. You'll need to inlet the area for the reinforcement liner and the open up the magazine well for the larger magazine. You can use your trigger group as a guide for the inletting. You want it to accept magazines smoothly but have a touch of resistance so they don't flop around. The forend liner will remain the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(with videos)

gundoc is offline   Reply With Quote