T20 garand build - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

M1 Garand Talk The M1 Garand - General Posting

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 07:15   #26

Might have had a break through, just tried 21.0 gr of CFEBLK and a 123gr .310 Zmax and they ejected and fed the next rd! No flat or cratered primers either. Onward and upward.

6-5. This afternoon I tried [.308] 110 rn, 125 plastic tipped and 130 hp and all ran with 21.0 gr. Tried some 150 gr bullets with 20.0 gr and they ran too. The 20.0 gr load will not work the lighter bullets. I think that I’ve figured this critter out. Next will be to put holes in paper and develop some accurate loads. And of course finish the build. Found a walnut m14 handguard that should work. I think that I will need to install the mini14 steel reenforcement into my stock as I noticed some battering of the wood inletting by the action but I did try some heavier bullets in my experimenting and could have damaged it then. H110 would just not work. I also added a ruger mini blue buffer.
6-6. Tried a few rds on cardboard at 35 yds, It’s hitting low and I don’t have any more elevation adjustment so I’m going to remove some front sight blade height. This is a very cobbled up rifle with a front garand sight designed for a .30-06 @2700 fps, a rear sight set up for .223 [with an 18 inch bbl] and it has a 24 inch bbl chambered in 300blkout. Has some identity issues.

Last edited by Baltimoreed; 06-06-2020 at 07:32.
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:01   #27

Milled some off my garand front sight without much change. I took the ruger rear sight elevation screw out and added a spring between the sight blade and base and got a few 125 gr to hit poa but I’m way above the adjustment detent pin. I’m going to have to cobble a tall sight blade together from two blades. It’s coming, waiting on more parts.

7-8-20. Reinstalled the steel reenforcement today and moved the whole bbl/action and trigger group back about a 1/4 inch. I had to do that to get the stock and upper handguard to mate up. There was a space between them which I might not have had with a garand stock but I’m using an Italian star FAT 70 stock that’s a little shorter. I might not install the screws in the sides since the steel insert will be jbwelded in. Then I can start prepping the stock for my paint job. I will probably shoot it some more too. Also have the rear sight to tinker with.

7-9-20.. I jbwelded the insert and side screws in today along with a couple pieces of aluminum to help keep anything from moving. The insert fit fine in the shimmed garand stock. Tomorrow I’ll clean it up, take some photos and reboot the post. Then I can start prepping for some primer.

Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-09-2020 at 16:21.
Old 07-15-2020, 17:10   #28

Removed the excess jbweld at the reenforcement screws from the outside of the stock and had to remove a little of my aluminum insert as the action was bottoming out against it. Love my HF mini mill. Once I get the action seated back into the stock Iíll have to build up the wood on the sides of the receiver next where the garand recvr is 3 inches longer than my mini14 recvr. Hereís how I did my mini30/M1a. Drilled some holes, tapped in some brads, built a dam out of primer boxes and filled it up with jb. The heats been rough here but not as bad as out west, keeps me out of my shop.

Built 2 dams today and jbwelded them. Letting it cure overnight and then Iíll see what it looks like. Also added some to the top of the stock where the action sits.

Got those done and cleaned up. I need one more dam to fill in the stock void where the Garand op rod is exposed as the Mini14 op rod doesnít extend as far. Iím going to use a m1a handguard for the lower guard with a mauser handguard clip to hold it to the bbl. My bbl does not have the cuts for the handguard clip. I used my mini mill to extend the op rod cutout on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
T20 garand build-4cc6e93c-7b70-44c0-974b-acc05ae243f1.jpg   T20 garand build-41eb2656-1383-479e-9cd6-01bf02ce0fe5.jpg   T20 garand build-1565d771-5c39-41f4-b407-6f9f6180e268.jpg   T20 garand build-1a4b42bf-5520-4f1e-aecd-12f14ac51635.jpg  

Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-23-2020 at 06:27.