Book came out in February, have some copies available to forum members... - Shooting Sports Forum

M1 Gallery Post your pictures of your M1 rifle here. Event photos welcome as well. Use one THREAD per forum member or event, or rifle, etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jimthompson502002
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 11:49   #1

Book came out in February, have some copies available to forum members...

PALADIN went belly up about four years ago, so withdrew copy and did the re-do update of my practical histories, recombined, as they were in the late 80's, with color and more detail.

They hit the market February 10th, and I've been making autographed copies available, postpaid, for $25.00. If someone wants PRIORITY, add $12.

THESE ARE NOT INDUSTRIAL HISTORIES. There are already too many of those.

Oh, there's industrial history in 'em. But they're mainly for consumers and intended to deal with real things, as they are NOW.

That includes the Italian rifles, lots of new data, some reflections on everything from reloading to restoration, and much, much more.

They were restructured to be more FUN.

It's a single volume. I say "they" because it used to be a pair of books.

You can see data on it on Amazon, B&N, Simon and Schuster, and the Skyhorse Publishing websites.
Attached Thumbnails
Book came out in February, have some copies available to forum members...-49416470421_6ffcc8637e_o.jpg  
Bepe likes this.
jimthompson502002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:50   #2

There are good previews and selected pages and reviews on the websites noted.

If you need one, I will try to check messages here ASAP. I'll need a real e-mail if you want to get tracking info. Everything moves PRIORITY MAIL.

Most interesting things and newest involve the color and the Italian production, which makes it clear they were by far the last M1 rifles produced.
Old 09-10-2020, 13:00   #3

Excellent book. I have the kindle edition.
Bepe likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2020, 13:41   #4

Electronic Versions....

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
Excellent book. I have the kindle edition.
This should be a lot easier to follow than the old Paladin version. When the Paladin books were generated, E-books either didn't exist or were in their infancy. The old ones were mis-collated, apparently.

I've never seen the electronic version, and of course I don't know of a way to sign/personalize one, but I'm glad it seems to have turned out well.

What amazed me was how much the color impacted the readability of the missive...that was a real surprise.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2020, 14:50   #5

I have a refinished Garand with a new barrel and stock. Refinished of course. A nice shooter and example. Got it in 2006. 14 years ago. Time sure does fly by. I mostly shoot it in CMP Garand matches at the local club. Have plenty of LC brass. I always buy ammo before the match. Saves my CMP LC ammo for a rainy day.

I travel a lot so I get all my books in Kindle format. Even my bible. Let’s me read on airplanes and keep manuals handy by converting PDF format to Kindle. Under house arrest this week due to recent trip to NV. The state calls me once a day to make sure I am a good serf. 9 more days til freedom. Ran out of single malt yesterday. Beer gone too.
Bepe likes this.
Old 09-10-2020, 14:55   #6

Oh, the laminated ones in your pictures are nicer looking stocks.
Old 09-12-2020, 00:16   #7

Did you include anything about how the M1 "Garand" Rifle was invented by a guy named Smedley who hired John Garand to refine the rifle for him? Of course John, knowing a good thing when he saw it, stole the only prototype of the rifle (gas trap) and took it to SA. John knew if he took a dime for it he would be sued and end up in prison for life, so he signed over the rights to the M1 over to the gov't and got all the glory (much like "Carbine" Williams and the M1 Carbine, he invented/did nearly nothing and it was all a propaganda ploy for the war effort. Winchester hated having him there as he did nothing useful, caused endless trouble, fought with employees and was usually drunk on top of everything else).

After WWII Smedley sued the US Gov't and they were dropping a brick in their pants because Smedley had all the proof. They finally just keep it in court on continuations until Smedley died and then buried it. It is all there in black and white if you want to look it up.

And yeah, I'll have to get a signed book too.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 00:35   #8

Amusing anecdote/narrative. Seems to have eluded me.

Please send a PM if you need/want a book.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:44   #9

The gov't doc are all public record, it just takes a little digging, or do a freedom of info act on them, it isn't any great secret. Same with the the court documents, they are public record, but you have to buy the transcripts as the stenographer is getting paid to type and selling it/them is how they make money. All you have to do is look it all up. Have some of it but after a couple moves it is buried. Gun Report wrote a lot of it up too, back in the day.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:39   #10

Again: these are "dedicated" and I am the author.

No politics or long-winded meanderings. No one can read my handwriting, anyway, and I write large. Am advised by book vendors "generic" (non-identified) script is best for the value upon resale.