hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread - Page 6 - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 20:53   #126

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
nice collection, my friend. your wife's guardian makes your collection look attractive, yet unattainable!

the new member of your family is said mini? the mini forum has a gallery as well.......
No; that's my OLD mini in 300BLK. There's a pic of my new one on the mini forum. FYI
shortshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:18   #127

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
nice collection, my friend. your wife's guardian makes your collection look attractive, yet unattainable!

the new member of your family is said mini? the mini forum has a gallery as well.......
Added another pic, this time of just the carbine. It's a dead ringer for an 1894, IMO, but all the workings are way different: gear driven action; rotating 5-lug bolt that locks into the barrel, 4130 chrome moly button-rifled barrel. The scope is just sitting there, waiting for the Browning rings to come in. It's all together now, and I like it!

FYI
hawkguy likes this.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:31   #128
large member

Originally Posted by shortshooter View Post
No; that's my OLD mini in 300BLK. There's a pic of my new one on the mini forum. FYI
dooh! that was a stupid question, I remember now that your new mini is a blue/wood ranch rifle. you posted a pic....the mini is one of my faves.

Originally Posted by shortshooter View Post
Added another pic, this time of just the carbine. It's a dead ringer for an 1894, IMO, but all the workings are way different: gear driven action; rotating 5-lug bolt that locks into the barrel, 4130 chrome moly button-rifled barrel. The scope is just sitting there, waiting for the Browning rings to come in. It's all together now, and I like it!
FYI
its a beautiful rifle. I have never been able to completely define why I am so enamored with lever action rifles, I just am. probably my favorite overall rifles.

the new henry long ranger seems very much like the BLR. I really like that the long ranger is now offered with open sights....I have a real interest in the long ranger, but I am afraid my gun buying is on hold for a very very long time.....

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2017, 11:26   #129

This is my fourth lever, hawkguy. My first was a beautiful Browning BL-22 that I used to shoot from my deck every evening after I came home from work; a sweet little piece with a short throw lever that I had to hock back in the early nineties, when I was a little short. Later, I had two 30-30s, a Marlin that had quality problems (Remmy made), and a Henry which I also had to get rid of because of "lever pop" as they called it. After loading, when you push the plunger back down into the mag, the lever would pop open and you had to empty the entire mag and start over again. It had to do with their version of a "safety," a block of some sort. After sending it to the factory, it still did it so I sold it off. That was about five years ago, and ever since, I've wanted another lever.

Of course, my new BLR is made in Japan, as my BL-22 was, by Miroku. I have one of their shotguns which is a predecessor to the Citori and the Winchester 101, the Citori made in Belgium and the latter still made in Japan. Miroku also currently makes one or two of Winchester's levers.

The Long Ranger should be pretty good--Chuck Hawks has a comparo review, but I cant' seem to find it; you can start here: LEVER ACTION RIFLES
hawkguy likes this.
Old 08-15-2017, 17:17   #130

My only lever gun, a JM Marlin 1894 carbine .357/.38 pre-safety gold trigger era built in 1981. Bought it NIB/unfired last year.
Diminishing eyesight mandated Leupold glass on Warne bases and QD rings.
An absolute joy to shoot, fun to alternate in the tube .357 and .38!
hawkguy likes this.

Last edited by nickelplate; 08-07-2018 at 10:08.
nickelplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 15:56   #131

My first lever action rifle:
.357/.38 JM stamped Marlin 1894CS made in 1996.

bluzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 17:04   #132
large member

well....you made a helluva good choice for a first lever! sweet rifle. 357 levers are crazy fun imo!

Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
My first lever action rifle:
.357/.38 JM stamped Marlin 1894CS made in 1996.

Old 10-25-2017, 22:09   #133

my "new to me" as in just got it today SearChester model 54
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-img_4305.jpg  
savage99nc and hawkguy like this.
colmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:40   #134

Of my 8 Leverguns, I've got a little Henry 22lr, 5 centerfire versions in the older 'cowboy' style, and 2 modern style. In the order I got them after the Henry, they are as follows.

2 are Rossis in 357mag:

As I said, I've slicked up the actions and triggers and removed the stupid bolt safety. I also added new sights and on the carbine, added a saddle ring just for grins. With their strong actions, I shoot only full power 357mag loads and my rifle is used for steel targets at 300yds!! With each having over 5K rds through them now, they have proved to be durable, accurate, and great fun shooters.

As my NIB 2009 era Rossis came with a dull, lack luster finish on the stocks, I tried my hand at giving them some color, depth, and a bit of shine using my old favorite; WATCO Danish Walnut finish. A single coat over the existing finish resulted in a dramatic improvement.

2 are Ubertis in 45 Colt:

Unlike my Rossis, both my NIB 2013 era 1873 Special Sporting Rifle and my 1866 Yellowboy carbine came slick as snot and ready to rock. All I've done is add a Lyman tang sight to my rifle and shot them. While 45 Colt is great fun, their weaker toggle link actions limit my handloads to 14,000psi which means that, unlike my 357 Rossis, the rifle version produces slightly lower velocities than my carbine so it's a struggle to shoot at 300yds with it as I do with my Rossi.

The 1873 Winchester design is a classic and I believe it's one of the most beautiful old style leverguns ever made.

But the carbine actually works better at longer ranges and with it's unique flip rear sight, it's sighted in for 100, 200, and 300yds and just a bit low at 400yds (when I can see the target that far!!).

1 is my Mossberg 464 in 30-30:

As 40nascar said, the Mossberg 464 has proved to be a great find. When I got mine NIB in 2012, I was looking for another Win 94 as I'd sold off my old one decades before to help pay for kids. All I could find were tired, floppy '94s that cost a bunch until I was shown this Mossberg. Out of the box, the action was a bit stiff as most new guns are these days, however, it was not floppy and it had a surprisingly decent trigger, great fitting walnut stock, and great Marbles sights.

As it's a post extractor issue manufacture and was priced right I took a chance on it. Boy did I do good! After a single night cycling the action during a TV show, the action is now decently smooth for a long action 30-30 but still tight and crisp. It shoots like a dream and even at 200yds on my beloved bowling pins, it's decently accurate. Even though here in the west it's not really a viable deer hunting, it's a thudy-thudy and is a definite keeper.

I also have 2 excellent examples of the more modern levergun design.

My pride and joy is my 1959, Winchester Model 88 in .308. I looked for a decent example of one of these at a fair price for over 20 yrs and finally found this excellent example through a friend. I was able to purchase it from the widow of the original owner. She gave it to him for Christmas in 1959 and he told her it was too pretty to shoot so he put it in his safe and left it.

I consider the Winchester Model 88 to be one of the most beautiful modern rifles ever made. While the Uberti 1866 above represents the first Winchester designed levergun, this Model 88 is an example of the last Winchester levergun design. All are a tribute to American design. Untouched and unfired, (not any more ) I got it like this.

However, I decided I wanted it in hunting form so I added a 1950's era NOS Redfield mount and rings with a new 3-9 Redfield Revolution scope (to keep with the Colorado heritage) in deference to my eyesight. As a hunting gun with 165grn Hornady SPs, it a real joy to use. Hunting accurate to my limit of 350yds, it's a beautiful rifle that I have full confidence in if needed even though I don't hunt anymore.

My last addition to my collection was another 'just because' candidate.

My 1949 Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage. While I don't 'need' it as it's very similar to my Model 88, it represents a quantum leap in design when you consider it's design was formulated only 5 years after the Winchester Model 94.

I was fortunate to find this in a local gunshop after the owner called me to tell me he got it on consignment. With it's 1st gen 1949 Weaver scope, I haven't touched this fine example. In negotiations with the original owner, I found out that he set it up soon after he got it and it remains as original. It's taken deer, elk, and a couple black bear, however, it's hunting days are over.

With all these fine examples of our uniquely American levergun, I feel my collection well represents this wonderful era in American shooting sports.

"Noli nothis permittere te terere" - Various
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." - Confucius
COSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:37   #135

My Henry 223 Long Ranger

Here's my Henry Long Ranger. I did some minor changes to suit me better.
I don't do well with barrel mounted buck horn sights so I removed it and used a spare peep holder slot filler. I installed a rear peep sight. I installed a taller front fiber optic sight. I mounted one of the supplied scope mounts so I could mount my red dot. I installed a sling.
This will be my coyote rifle.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:08   #136

Well I have acquired 3 more lever action rifles since posting in this thread over 7 years ago. let's see if this works..

ok. That took forever because photobucket sucks.. but ..

My 2 Marlin 336s in 30/30 and 1894 in .357 magnum..

and my Henry Small Game Carbine..

Last edited by pukindog; 08-20-2018 at 04:28.
pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:08   #137
large member

great looking levers!
Old 06-13-2019, 00:04   #138

My Combat Cowboy Carbine, a 24" Heavy octagon barreled .44 mag Rossie 92 cut to 17". Sig Romeo 5, Streamlight in a Haley Strategic Thorntail mount, Steve's Gunz, peep sight, and large loop, leather ammo cuff, and recoil pad.

daddyusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 14:50   #139

Keepers

I have two other lever guns that I may let go at some point in the future
so I am leaving them stock. But these two will be with me as long as I draw breath so I did them up the way I wanted with no thought of resale value.

The silver coin in the stock of the XLR is a Bear and the one in the Ranger is .999 copper Indian head penny round. Both are 39mm (approx 1 1/2)
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-p1020523-copyfin.jpg  
savage99nc and Rockys Pop like this.
Ken 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:16   #140

Hereís my two muskets, a 1866 repro and an original 1873. The Ď73 is super long and then a socket bayonet tops it off. I donít have a Martini Henry so I use it for my Colour Sgt Bourne impression. ĎNo comedians please.í
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-1f9e671d-e497-4409-aff9-ada57d066538.jpg   hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-b9ca1411-0097-42c6-b5e4-9e042a7890b6.jpg  
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:34   #141
Matthew 5:9

Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
Here’s my two muskets, a 1866 repro and an original 1873. The ‘73 is super long and then a socket bayonet tops it off. I don’t have a Martini Henry so I use it for my Colour Sgt Bourne impression. ‘No comedians please.’
is your '73 an original military gun? if yes, what Nation? I know several used '73 Winnies...Russia, Turkey, many African & South American countries.......
YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION AND HAVE PIQUED MY INTEREST !!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:12   #142

I donít know about any military service as there are no extra stampings on it. The sn makes it from 1891. Bought it from Turnbull after they had their smith ck it out to verify that it would be an ok occasional CAS rifle. Itís supposed to have an old reblue which made it affordable. When I bought it I didnít know that I could have gotten the 1866 repro musket from uberti after almost a years wait. Iíve shot it in several shoots. Nice 123 year old Winchester. Picked up a socket bayonet for it.
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-d0765028-0ec8-4547-8423-03edb04a9392.jpg   hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-19e16f64-c320-441e-91e7-bcf9d2199642.jpg  
Baltimoreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:05   #143
Matthew 5:9

Ed....I wish there was a LOVE button but like will have to do......
it's identical to the ones we sent to the Czar for riot control, but you mentioned no stampings.
I wonder if they were possibly ground off before the reblue.......that may have come from "Bannermans Castle" at some point.
DENINITELY an interesting old musket !!
savage99nc likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:31   #144
Meh....

Uberti Yellowboy 45 LC
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-c2986394-5a20-47aa-b87f-cb7a93f53e1c.jpg   hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-cca53176-7dff-46b2-b22f-3cd549bdb981.jpg   hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-b36d1222-869d-4466-b061-e3acb5265483.jpg  
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 17:57   #145
Registered Member

Here's my Rossi 92 .357 20" Stainless. I added the Nikon 2.0 scout scope, applied about 10 coats of Tru-oil to the wood, and added the sling. Great shooter, love it.
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-92.jpg  
savage99nc likes this.
hancdc1 is offline   Reply With Quote