hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread - Page 4 - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20   #76
large member

Originally Posted by thinder View Post
This is my Wife's Uberti 1866 short rifle in 45 colt. No ****, we watched "true grit" (the new one) and she said, I want one of those. She has never used the word "want" and "gun" in the same sentence, except to say "I WANT you to stop buying GUNS." So i got on it and ordered it that day.

first, nice lever!

second.....jealous! i share the same experience with you in regards to my wife's opinions on buying guns....i hear things like "WHY do you NEED another gun?" or "WHOA...slow down on buying guns." if my wife said "i want a gun.." i would think someone has played a cruel practical joke on me

the thing that has saved me is my wife has an expensive habit as well. so she drops some coin on hers, then i drop some coin on mine. unfortunately, this does NOT boost our savings account.

again....nice gun....where are those ubuti's made again?...my instinct says italy?
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:25   #77
i like the details

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
first, nice lever!

again....nice gun....where are those ubuti's made again?...my instinct says italy?
You got it. They are tied in with Benelli somehow. apparantly they are imported by Benelli USA and a couple others. Kinda a strange relationship.

Thanks! Sometimes God throws me a bone.
thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 16:41   #78

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
yep...today!

just a lot of fun to shoot & drew some interest at the range.

had a few problems ejecting the last round....mostly sjsp's.......which i will never shoot through this gun again.

shoots VERY high as expected (i even completely removed the elevator ramp for elevation). i'll be ordering new sights soon i suppose.

overall good experience for the first time.

question: the user's manual actually says NOT to disassemble for cleaning and has no instructions for take down . being that i am a VERY anal gun cleaner, i can hardly accept this. how are you cleaning yours?

thanks
I open the action, turn it upside down and run first a brush and then patches down the bore until clean. Being upside down and crud will fall to the ground instead of into the action. Then I use a toothbrush and scrub the bolt face and reciever rails, sides of the bolt sticking out the back. Finally I oil the action and bolt sides. the DVD from Steves Gunz does show how to take a 92 apart entirely for cleaning but it's not really needed unless you shot blackpowder or alot of really dirty ammo, or if it fell in a mud puddle.
larryp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2012, 16:55   #79
Banned

looking good
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26   #80

Recently, I took a solid frame Winchester M1897 in trade for some work. Have not looked it up but was probably manufactured in the early 1900s. Very decent outside. Action decent also. Did I ever get a shock when I started to tear it down. I have never seen a firearm that dirty. Carbon and soft sludge. Looks to never been cleaned. I soak parts like this in 318 oil. When I start, it will take the better part of the day with a soft wire wheel, toothbrushed, and a lot of rinsing.

For those of you that do notnow how to disassemble the firearm, you should man up and pay a gunsmith once a year to do a good cleaning. All straight wall cartridges will have blowback. This "smoke" will form carbon and sludge and will get worse when you add a little lubricant without removing thee build up.

The Marlin lever action is not difficult. With a tutorial, most anyone can do it. The 1873 and the 1866 is rather simple also. The semi-auto can be a bear. I take my Winchester M100 in 308 and have it cleaned ever so often. I have not fired it for a while.

I shoot competition every weekend. One is cowboy and when I get home I remove the stock from 1873 and my 1897 shotgun. I remove the grips from my 3 screw 357 Rugers also. The shotgun is submerged, barrel up, above the receiver. I use a small paint brush to clean out debris. Then I use 100#s of compressed air to blow it fairly dry. The 97 internals are rather open.

The 1873 can be disassembled in 5 minutes. After disassembling it is submerged to the top of the receiver, brushed, soaked (takes about three beers and/or about three fingers of Dickel), blown dry and set to drain with the shotgun (barrel up). The revolvers are soaked totally without the grips. They are brushed then blown dry. Then I put them on a stand with dowel rods barrels down to drain.

If you use a liquid lube and do not disassemble, store your long guns barrel down. Almost every 97 I see have cracks in the wrist of the stock or are black with oil that has drained from someone lubing the action and storing barrel up.

Sounds like a lot of work. If you shoot it, clean it.

Here is a wonderful site from a good ol' boy who is a good friend and a good shooter. Enjoy.

Marauder13

I do know a tad about lever actions.

Old 03-25-2012, 14:38   #81
large member

Originally Posted by Red Cent View Post
Recently, I took a solid frame Winchester M1897 in trade for some work. Have not looked it up but was probably manufactured in the early 1900s. Very decent outside. Action decent also. Did I ever get a shock when I started to tear it down. I have never seen a firearm that dirty. Carbon and soft sludge. Looks to never been cleaned. I soak parts like this in 318 oil. When I start, it will take the better part of the day with a soft wire wheel, toothbrushed, and a lot of rinsing.

For those of you that do notnow how to disassemble the firearm, you should man up and pay a gunsmith once a year to do a good cleaning. All straight wall cartridges will have blowback. This "smoke" will form carbon and sludge and will get worse when you add a little lubricant without removing thee build up.

The Marlin lever action is not difficult. With a tutorial, most anyone can do it. The 1873 and the 1866 is rather simple also. The semi-auto can be a bear. I take my Winchester M100 in 308 and have it cleaned ever so often. I have not fired it for a while.

I shoot competition every weekend. One is cowboy and when I get home I remove the stock from 1873 and my 1897 shotgun. I remove the grips from my 3 screw 357 Rugers also. The shotgun is submerged, barrel up, above the receiver. I use a small paint brush to clean out debris. Then I use 100#s of compressed air to blow it fairly dry. The 97 internals are rather open.

The 1873 can be disassembled in 5 minutes. After disassembling it is submerged to the top of the receiver, brushed, soaked (takes about three beers and/or about three fingers of Dickel), blown dry and set to drain with the shotgun (barrel up). The revolvers are soaked totally without the grips. They are brushed then blown dry. Then I put them on a stand with dowel rods barrels down to drain.

If you use a liquid lube and do not disassemble, store your long guns barrel down. Almost every 97 I see have cracks in the wrist of the stock or are black with oil that has drained from someone lubing the action and storing barrel up.

Sounds like a lot of work. If you shoot it, clean it.

Here is a wonderful site from a good ol' boy who is a good friend and a good shooter. Enjoy.

Marauder13

I do know a tad about lever actions.

first, beautiful levers.

next, good advice throughout, thanks.

i am a FIRM believer in thourough(sp?) cleaning of all my firearms. my marlin is so simple to pull apart and clean a small child could probably do it, so i see no problem with taking it apart to clean after each use.

however, my ROSSI instructions stated NOT to disassemble the gun to ANY degree to clean. i want to take the best care of it possible, but it did not even provide take down instructions. i'll probably just get it on you tube, and limit it to once in awhile. i just don't get this myself?

last, do you think storing levers on their barrels is necessary if you only store with a VERY light coat of oil?

thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 18:35   #82

I clean often so I store barrel down. The other reason I do this is some of the cleaner/lubricant will find its way into the mag tube inhibiting rust on the tube and the spring..
If you use (lightly) a "grease" or "cream" like TW125, I see no problem with barrel up. A bunch of shooters use way too much lube on their firearms. Simply spraying lightly with a good lubricant and wiping dry will suffice. Spraying in the ejection port and attempting to wipe it down will not work in the long run.

After I clean my rifles, I spray the parts with RemOil, wipe clean, and apply TW125 to friction areas. 318 is not a good lubricant but cleans very well. Ballistol is another good spray to apply and wipe down. . The pistols are wiped down and I spend extra time in blowing dry the pistols. The pistols are stored barrel down but i rarely see any oil draining. Nor do I see it in the rifles.

I am retired and have the time and tools. I realize that some do not have either. If one does not have a parts washer and an air compressor, more the importance of disassembling and cleaning.
Old 03-29-2012, 18:37   #83

PS: The 1892, the 1894, and its clones are very difficult to re-assemble.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52   #84

...Like the barrel down trick, Thanks!
Bob & Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:03   #85

Hey I'm new to the board and been a lurker for some time now. What a great place!

I just picked up a Henry 22 Frontier for cheap, fun shooting. And for taking out some annoying moles and ground hogs up at my grandparents acreage!
It has the Williams 5D-GR reciever peep with .050 target aperture and the Lyman 17AUG front sight with the post insert.

First Pics 007 by jpetrak, on Flickr

First Pics 009 by jpetrak, on Flickr

First Pics 010 by jpetrak, on Flickr

Last edited by Pet-Rock; 04-13-2012 at 11:15.
Pet-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:30   #86

My 2 Henrys

The H001 .22

and my H001M .22 magnum
NY Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08   #87
large member

levers

i few more pics of my levers (plus my coachgun, hope ya don't mind)
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-wood-steel.jpg   hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-my-levers.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05   #88

This is my first and only lever action - a Marlin 336XLR. I hope it's not my last. I would evntually like to get something a little more traditional in a pistol caliber.

pukindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58   #89

I took a new pic of mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 16:11   #90

Henry Frontier "Scout"

Its the way I want it now.

DSCN0088 by jpetrak, on Flickr
Savage Mark II FVT
Pet-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 17:50   #91
M14 guy

I replaced the Micro T-1 that was on my Guide Gun with a Leupold FX II.
The red dot is faster, but the 2.5x magnification you get with the Leupold is really nice.

H2O MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:36   #92

Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
My 2 Henrys

The H001 .22

and my H001M .22 magnum
Hey how did you get that brass receiver? I want one!
NudyKnudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:21   #93

Originally Posted by NudyKnudy View Post
Hey how did you get that brass receiver? I want one!
The Brasslite Receiver cover and barrel band was a limited run that Henry made last year. I'm not sure of exactly haw many were produced but I am pretty sure that it was limited to only a couple hundred pieces. They were all spoken for as soon as the run was announced. It was done through the Henry forum on Rimfire Central .com. I was one of the fortunate few who were able to get in on the deal. There might be another run made sometime in the near future but you will have to check in with the Henry forum on RFC to keep track of when the possible next run might be made.
NY Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23   #94

Ok thanks
NudyKnudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 19:11   #95

Here is my wife's 1979 Marlin 1894 .357

billnchristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 14:06   #96

let's see those levers! (gallery)

Basic run of Winchesters...
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-w-4.jpg   hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-w-5.jpg  
savage99nc likes this.
RCRBanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 17:30   #97

As I said back in November: Levers are addictive...

Here's my newest. Marlin 1894 in .44 Magunm Built in December of 2011 so it is a Remarlin....

With the Walmart/Limbsavor it is a pussy cat to shoot. AND FUN

It is a minute of soda can at 125 yards with 240gr WWB

Lateck,
Old 07-09-2012, 18:21   #98

Rossi M92

I have a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt. I took it apart right after I got it. New springs, some trigger work, and generally smoothing up the action. I had some ghost ring sights added and a nice matte finish (the stainless was too bright). I have two other levers a 1895G in 45-70 and a Browning in 30-06. I gotta a lot of rifles but the Rossi goes with me to the range often.
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-rossi.jpg  
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55   #99
Registered Member

A pic of my lever collection. I love these guns and always enjoy shooting them.

Marlin Cowboy LTD 45 Colt
Rossi 92 45 Colt
Henry Frontier 22LR

Chiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 18:41   #100

I got to get in on this. Sure is some good looking levers in this thread. Any way heres mine. First is my Marlin 1895 22" barrel 45-70

This is my Marlin 1894 44 mag well I give it to my dad for coyotes

This is my Marlin 336 30-30
plumbernater is offline   Reply With Quote