hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23   #51

timdoyleus;
Nice.

Lateck,
Old 11-28-2011, 12:48   #52
Latigo

Adios

Last edited by zfk55; 11-29-2011 at 18:43. Reason: Forgot the phtot of the rifle.
zfk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 16:50   #53

Model 64, 30-30
Model 94AE, 30-30
Model 39A, 22
Model 336, 35rem
Model 88, 338 Federal
Model 99, 358win.
jbmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 17:38   #54

Awesome story zfk55. :-)
larryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16   #55
Latigo

Thanks Larry! Looks like you're only a stone's throw from us..... or two....... maybe three.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45   #56

Where are you located if you don't mind my asking?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:25   #57
Latigo

Lost Prairie. Born and raised there.

Latigo
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07   #58

Newest addition. I was originally not too impressed with the concept of a "mare's leg" but after reading a bunch of reviews on our sister site and then handling one in the store I took the leap.
savage99nc likes this.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:17   #59

LarryP; What caliber?

I have been looking also but around here there has been .22 & .44's only.
I have a number of .22 rifles and I'm a little shy of the .44 as I have issues with my wrists.
But, I'm very interested in a .357 model....

Let us know how she shoots and feels.

By the way: Congrats!

Lateck,
Old 11-30-2011, 16:28   #60

It's a .44 mag. I got this caliber due to my having a Colt SAA in .44 special. So far I've only fired my .44 special handloads out of it ( 240 gr. swc; 12 gr. of 2400 powder). While hotter than regular factory loads they're nowhere close to a "Keith" type load. The recoil is very mild. The gun has just enough of a "stub" of a comb that I can hold it to my face and get a decent cheek weld allowing me to sight down the barrel in a normal fashion. The recoil is more straight back then up and the 4lb. weight keeps recoil down compared to a regular pistol. From reviews I've read shooting .38's out of the .357 version has extremely low recoil.
Old 11-30-2011, 19:40   #61

"Model 336, 35rem
Model 88, 338 Federal
Model 99, 358win."

Each of these are particularly intriguing, jbmi.

Love the notion of the .35 Remington in a Marlin 336. That Model 88 must be rebarreled and sounds fun to handload for. Those Model 99 Savages don't come along in .358 Winchester every day yet would be a great rifle/cartridge combination.
bmcgilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 15:09   #62

Thanks, levers have always worked well for us lefties. The Model 88,
338 Federal was a rebore from a 308, back when it was done we called them 338-08's. It really likes my handloads better than factory 338Federals.
The 358 Savage 99 was made the first year it was offered in a 99, I lucked out many years go buying from a gun shop that didn't really know what they had.
jbmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 15:35   #63
large member

my new lever

here's a pic of my new ranch hand.
Attached Thumbnails
hawkguys narcissistic let's see those levers gallery thread-rossi-ranch-hand-2.jpg  
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 17:50   #64

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
Old 02-26-2012, 19:07   #65
large member

Originally Posted by larryp View Post
not yet...still enjoying yours? i talked to somebody at steve's (maybe steve?) gunz and he suggested replacing the rear sight, instead of the front. but you said you replaced the front, right? from what i've read around the web, replacing the sights seems to be the norm

well, i'll shoot it first and see for myself i suppose. seems like its gonna be a lot of fun.
Old 02-26-2012, 19:45   #66

Yes I still enjoy mine a lot! Yes you should try it yourself first as the way you hold and line up your sights might give you differant results than others.
Old 02-26-2012, 20:17   #67

Well Here are mine

Got them both in this year in Jan.
Old 02-26-2012, 20:34   #68

Nice! :-)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:48   #69
large member

Originally Posted by larryp View Post
yep...today!

just a lot of fun to shoot & drew some interest at the range.

had a few problems ejecting the last round....mostly sjsp's.......which i will never shoot through this gun again.

shoots VERY high as expected (i even completely removed the elevator ramp for elevation). i'll be ordering new sights soon i suppose.

overall good experience for the first time.

question: the user's manual actually says NOT to disassemble for cleaning and has no instructions for take down . being that i am a VERY anal gun cleaner, i can hardly accept this. how are you cleaning yours?

thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 16:54   #70

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
question: the user's manual actually says NOT to disassemble for cleaning and has no instructions for take down . being that i am a VERY anal gun cleaner, i can hardly accept this. how are you cleaning yours?

thanks
This is a funny question... for me anyway. In the last 3 months there has been 3 new owners of a lever action ask that same question; you being the third. The first 2 didn't listen to me when I told them; "You don't need to. I haven't taken mine apart in over 30 years of ownership; it has never failed in any way."

The other two new lever action owners, (as far as I know,) still haven't found why their actions aren't working quite right.

What I do...
I'll clean the bore with a brass brush from the muzzle being careful. When the patches come out clean, I'll clean for copper fouling, (in case their happens to be some.) Then oil the bore and exterior metal as a rust preventative. (Remember to run a clean patch through the bore and wipe the chamber clean of oil before firing.)

Every 6 months or so I'll take an oil can and oil every slide and pivot point, anyplace that might wear; then work the action. The next day wipe off the excess oil.
savage99nc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 18:56   #71
large member

Originally Posted by Win_94 View Post
This is a funny question... for me anyway. In the last 3 months there has been 3 new owners of a lever action ask that same question; you being the third. The first 2 didn't listen to me when I told them; "You don't need to. I haven't taken mine apart in over 30 years of ownership; it has never failed in any way."

The other two new lever action owners, (as far as I know,) still haven't found why their actions aren't working quite right.

What I do...
I'll clean the bore with a brass brush from the muzzle being careful. When the patches come out clean, I'll clean for copper fouling, (in case their happens to be some.) Then oil the bore and exterior metal as a rust preventative. (Remember to run a clean patch through the bore and wipe the chamber clean of oil before firing.)

Every 6 months or so I'll take an oil can and oil every slide and pivot point, anyplace that might wear; then work the action. The next day wipe off the excess oil.

well, i am no expert in any particular firearm for sure. but it has always been my belief that taking proper care of something pays off.

my confusion comes from my marlin ownership. the marlin is SO easy to take down and clean that i see no reason NOT to pull the bolt & lever and give the chamber, etc all a good cleaning after i shoot. also, many times, there may be several months before i get to shoot again, so i always clean em. never had ANY problems with my marlin, ever.

but, the rossi is a different beast. it isn't put together the same, so this is where my question comes from.

but , thanks for your input, i do appreciate all i can get. i'll probably follow your advice when it comes to my rossi.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24   #72

it has always been my belief that taking proper care of something pays off.
And your gun's "proper care," (via the owners manual,) does not involve take-down.

i see no reason NOT to pull the bolt & lever and give the chamber, etc all a good cleaning after i shoot.
The owners manual is all the reason I would need. You are able to get to the chamber easily with the action open. Crud from firing will be found only in the chamber and bore; you can easily facilitate their cleaning with the action open.

Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55   #73
Banned

an old win 94 or marlin aint no baby like an AR
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11   #74
large member

And your gun's "proper care," (via the owners manual,) does not involve take-down.
hey, i get it....and you're right. but understand what i am saying. my marlin DOES instruct you to pull the lever off and bolt out as part of cleaning. this is why i was asking the question. they are both levers, so this is why i was wondering. i'm not trying to argue with you in any way. just wondering why the rossi does not want you to remove the bolt for cleaning, and if other rossi owners do OR don't take their rossi's down a little more for cleaning.

The owners manual is all the reason I would need. You are able to get to the chamber easily with the action open. Crud from firing will be found only in the chamber and bore; you can easily facilitate their cleaning with the action open.
[/QUOTE]

again, good point. but i was used to something different (my marlin). honestly, (in my limited experience) i have NEVER come across an instruction manual for a firearm that says you should NOT disassemble the firearm occasionally for cleaning. this was totally new for me, thus why i'm seeking input. (and to be fair....i asked larry p...who owns the same exact gun).

thanks for your input. i know you are trying to help. but i don't want to turn this into a back & forth in the gallery thread. i'll start another thread about cleaning the rossi later.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:26   #75
i like the details

This is my Wife's Uberti 1866 short rifle in 45 colt. No ****, we watched "true grit" (the new one) and she said, I want one of those. She has never used the word "want" and "gun" in the same sentence, except to say "I WANT you to stop buying GUNS." So i got on it and ordered it that day.

thinder is offline   Reply With Quote