Front sight problem? - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lexington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2020, 13:18   #1

Front sight problem?

Howdy,

What follows is not quite specific to leverguns but I figured since the rifle in question happens to be a Marlin 336, why not here...

I recently purchased a used 336- it's a 2017 "base model;" no gold trigger, recoil pad or shiny bluing, just basic wood and that dull black Parkerized-like finish Marlin puts on the lower-end models. While I appreciate nice bluing, I love the dull finish and it's perfect for this beater/defense carbine.

She had a scope mounted when I got her and since the shop wasn't interested in selling her without the scope, I wondered if the previous owner had some sighting-in issues or they suspected a barrel timing issue. But the price was fair and the 336 is rare around here so I grabbed her.

Anyhow, I removed the scope and rail right off. Looking across the top of the receiver, it seemed there was a slight "disagreement." It looked like the rear sight may have been screwy so I removed it.

I installed a set of XS peep sights the other day which, of course, include a new, taller front sight.

At the range, I began sighting in. I must say I was pleased at first, since my groups were pretty tight with some holes touching. Groups were high and to the left, so I adjusted at the rear sight after a few more shots. While the group moved just a little towards center, we remained high and left.

BTW, I'm talking about two inches away from center, so not one of those cases where a rifle is ten inches high with the sight on its lowest notch or something! I should note, this is at 25 yards with 150g and 170g Federal ammo. (I think she grouped a bit tighter with the 170g for some reason)

As I inspect now, I see the rear sight is at its lowest setting and almost as far right as is practical. If I look down the receiver I could swear the front sight is just a canted just a touch to the right- not bent but canted as if the barrel timing is off to the right just a hair. And I thought 2017 was late enough to avoid the "Remlin" stuff!

So, do you think the front sight off a touch to the right could account for this left-hitting bias?

Thanks and be safe!

Last edited by Lexington; 07-30-2020 at 13:20. Reason: Typo-oops.
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:16   #2

Yes. Send it back to Marlin and have them correct it. The barrels is not screwed in all the way so the FS is vertical. Easy fix for them not as easy for you. With the open sight that was on there originally it would probably have shot to the sights.

That Flat Black Finish is Cera-Kote and is tougher than any bluing ever made. Perfect for your application.

The sight placement and threads on the barrel are timed so that when the barrel is torqued into the receiver the extractor should line up and the sights should be vertical. they can be slightly off very easily and still pass a cursory inspection.

.006 to .008 out of position will be 1-2" at 100 yards.

Call Marlin CS and get them to send a pick up for the gun and they will fix it.

Take your XS sights off the gun and put the originals back on or they will do it for you and keep the XS sights.

Randy
Old 07-31-2020, 12:27   #3
AKA CRABBY

Randy,I thought Rem.bought Marlin an now just yesterday refiled for bankruptcy again??Not sure I'd trust em...Donald

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...or-bankruptcy-
SMOGGUY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2020, 14:25   #4

With the open sight that was on there originally it would probably have shot to the sights.

Ah yes... I thought of that. If it was the barrel timing and was off by just a hair, it may have passed the basic "fire a few rounds and see where she groups" test before it left the factory, since sights and barrel would have been lined up despite the issue. Dang, I wish I had waited till her first range outing before doing the XS sights- I even told myself that but had the urge to tinker the day I came home from work and found the new sights here!

You think Marlin/Remington would fix her even if I am not original owner?

Thanks for the replies...

Last edited by Lexington; 07-31-2020 at 14:26. Reason: Bad week for typos...
Old 08-01-2020, 14:34   #5

Originally Posted by SMOGGUY View Post
Randy,I thought Rem.bought Marlin an now just yesterday refiled for bankruptcy again??Not sure I'd trust em...Donald

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...or-bankruptcy-
That's why you call Customer Service and ask them if they will cover shipping both ways and "fix it." If they won't then your other option is to find a local gun smith that can screw the barrel in a little farther which is what needs to happen. This would probably be the better option as I know that Remington will probably say the gun is within spec and not do anything to it.

Marlin isn't concerned with the modifications you did to the gun. If you put the stock sights back on it will probably be fine and that's all they care about.

Can you estimate how far off vertical the front sight is? or show us a picture?

On another note,,, is the receiver drilled and tapped two holes on the left side? If so those are for a Lyman Receiver sight which will have enough adjustment to cope with your front sight problem. If not,,, it is a simple job for a gunsmith to drill and tap the two holes for you and shouldn't be more than $25-30.

I like XS sights but the basic XS Rear Sight is generally considered a "set and forget" type of sight. The Lyman 66 LA is the hot tip, and you can see that they have more than enough "Windage Travel" to cope with your problem.

Get a real "All Steel" Older one off Ebay,,, and not a new one !!!

I am also partial to the XS White Line Front Sights as shown. They show up well against most backgrounds.

Here's pics.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails
Front sight problem?-100464072.jpg   Front sight problem?-100464422.jpg   Front sight problem?-100464070.jpg  
Old 08-01-2020, 17:16   #6

I installed the XS ghost ring sight that uses the existing scope mounting holes on the top of the receiver, not a model that mounts on the side of the receiver.

I agree about the simple white line on the XS front sights- very clear and accurate.

I'll have to take a pic... I'd estimate the barrel is off-center about 1/16 of an inch if you rotated away from an imaginary perfect center line, maybe less.

Thanks for all the replies. I emailed Marlin support today and explained the situation. I will share their response.
Old 08-01-2020, 18:21   #7

One final observation... now I'm pretty sure it was being sold with a scope mounted for a reason.

After removing the XS sights and doing a closer inspection, if I'm not mistaken, the barrel isn't off-center but the front sight is! In other words, it seems like they drilled the front sight mounting hole off center, so even if using barrel-mounted dovetailed semi-buckhorns, she would have a windage problem. Again, someone sighting in to hit paper plates at 25 yards would have no gripes- she's not off by THAT much. But doing a serious sight-in on paper reveals that she is grouping a good two inches left of center, even with lots of right on the rear sight.

So, if Marlin agrees to take a look and is willing to either tap a new front sight hole or whatever we need, great. If not, I just might go back to the scope rail that was on there when I got her and use either a scope or red dot.

Live and learn.
SMOGGUY likes this.