• 2 Post By chill1955
  • 2 Post By Baltimoreed
  • 2 Post By sandog
  • 5 Post By YYCADM
  • 1 Post By Baltimoreed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 20:09   #1

Hike and Shoot

A few times now, fellow PU member curtmini14 and I have gone on walks up a canyon near his house.
I live a valley to the south but get over every month or so to go to the range with him, or go exploring up some of the local canyons.

All these canyons have Indian ruins, cave and cliff dwellings, most of which haven't been occupied in 800 years, when the Sinagua people were thriving here.
There are Coyotes and Javelina and the occasional Jackrabbit.

We usually take some sort of handgun, and since we both like levers so much, always take a lever gun.
Today was a bit cold, so we didn't hike as far, but stopped on the way back to shoot down in a ravine.

Curt had his Marlin 1894 "Trapper" in .357 which has a Leupold scope, and I had an 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt, which has a Williams FP peep sight.
Both of the Marlins are older JM ones.
His smaller bore, short barrel 1894 was quite a bit louder than my 24" one.
A fun day as always, next time out we might take our .22's, his Henry and my Browning BL-22.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:47   #2

was a good time as allways my henry is ready to go.
curt mini14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35   #3

I'm holding onto a Ruger GP100 s/s deluxe model in hope of coming across a lever gun in same chambering. got it in trade for some emergency welding repairs, little shot at all included shoulder holster (got to lengthen straps for my 54" chest) but had it for years so likely would take a generous offer for it.

fond of the levers a shooting buddy has one as Curt's. his hot handloads do make some noise but group fine at 100 ms.
2rangers, sandog and Bepe like this.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:47   #4

You guys are having way too much fun. Enjoy!!

Bepe
Bepe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 14:57   #5

Last year when I traveled to Los Alamos I visited the cave dwellings. It was a very interesting visit. Glad you had good time.
2rangers and sandog like this.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:24   #6

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
The comeraderie and fun that Sandog and Curtmini are having is exactly what our founders wanted/expected, and exactly what the left in this country wants to abolish.
Carry on gentlemen, and have fun!!!
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:32   #7

True, 2rangers. An armed society is a polite society, and there is way too much rudeness in this country today !
We went out, had a good time, and hurt nothing but rocks. We didn't do any drive-by shootings, but the Libs want to lump us all together as bad guys.

Some pics of the Indian ruins, caves and pottery shards found in them:

Old 01-07-2019, 05:54   #8

Hey folks its coyote season 24/7 365 days a year out here scatter guns after dark.let us know if any of you want to come out.we have plenty of targets and hiking and ? were allways up for it.
2rangers, savage99nc and RJF like this.
curt mini14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:03   #9

Looks very interesting. I love the bunkers you built into the cliffs. Great bug out location.
This is one of those priceless gifts we have on this earth is the friendships we create along our many paths in this world. And it's always wise to never go in alone. I do hunt alone now because I left my best friend and hunting partner back in Co. But I am very selective in my locations and I give the GPS cords to the wife.
Carry on brothers I may have to come visit like September?
Old 01-09-2019, 15:37   #10

Liked the photos. Hard to imagine people living in such a desolate place but humans live everywhere on this planet. Thanks.
Baltimoreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 16:28   #11

The river bottoms are pretty lush, towering sycamores, tall grass, squirrels and rabbits and other small game. Their crops would have done well there, and good hunting with snares and bow and arrow.
Get away from the river bottoms and it does seem desolate, especially if you are used to greener pastures.
Chill, come for a visit anytime. September is still hot, October thru December, and March thru May is perfect weather.
2rangers and chill1955 like this.
Old 01-17-2019, 16:39   #12

I live on the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies, and there is nothing I enjoy more than getting out for a hike in the hills by myself. I spend a lot of time out there with a group of people (I’m a member of a SAR team), sogetting out alone is a nice change. I’ve got a bastardized Rossi Ranch Hand in .357mag that always goes with me unless I’m in the National Park (Banff).
I saybastardized because I put a full stock on it...legal here without any of your SBR nonsense....and it is the best dang bush gun I’ve ever owned. I’ve run over 18,000 rds through in the last 3 years or so. It’s plenty accurate; two whitetail in the freezer with it
The one risk about walking around up here alone; big, nasty critters. Plenty of cougar and bears, both black & grizzly. Doesn’t help that there are three National Parks very close by, and many of these animals have little/no real fear of humans.
I reload, and for this, I load 180gr. Hardcast, pretty warm. 18 months ago, I was out for a hike & ran into a young black bear. 3 or 4 yr. old boar in good shape, weighed in at 310lbs.
He was very upset with me in his forest,and intent on teaching me a lesson. He learned one instead, and got all piled up in a heap under a tree. I know, absolutely, that encounter could have turned out much different with either a bolt gun or the lever gun everybody just has to have, a 45/70. I didn’t need a second round, but had one in the pipe almost instantly...and on target. I used to own a 45/70, and it would never have gotten back on target fast enough...bolt gun, i’d Have been praying the first round did the trick.
My little Rossi will keep going into the bush with me for as long as I can go into the bush, that’s certain
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:53   #13

You’re a lucky man to live in such a beautiful place on this earth. I went through Banff in the summer of 1973. Did a little hiking, loved the azure blue lake at the bottom of a glacier that I saw. An amazing place. I always wanted to carry my wife up there but never made it back. We did get to see the US Rockies on our trip to Yellowstone. Stay safe and enjoy the view.
savage99nc likes this.
Baltimoreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 15:34   #14

Lake Louise (Banff). Been there.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote