Finally Decided - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 08:41   #1

Finally Decided

I've been debating which to buy the Henry or the Marlin in 30-30 for several months now. I have a few Henry's and the craftsmanship, the trigger and everything in general is top notch .. including cs. I don't have any Marlin's besides my 22's. After much thought I decided to go with the Marlin 336C. I've read all the pro's and cons of the Marlin and have a game plan of what to do as soon as I get it .. it's ordered so probably next week.
I haven't shot a 30-30 in over 30 years but I still remember the thrill of it on a deer hunt. My rifles, and pistols, aren't safe queens. They get used regularly and I'm not a collector. I plan on shooting it at least a few times a year and hopefully hunting with it. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the 336C.
Old 08-28-2018, 17:53   #2
Keeper of the records

Damn fine rifle. Strong and accurate.

While my taste is the Winchester 94, you can't go wrong with the Marlin. I'll even admit that it's usually more accurate than my beloved Winchester!
savage99nc and sandog like this.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:51   #3

I got a Marlin 1894 last year. It has been pretty good. I did compare the fit and finish on it to my 1990's vintage 1895. The fit and finish are in the same league. What I hate is the stupid bar code engraved on the receiver.
sandog likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2018, 17:26   #4

Well I'll have my 336 Tuesday.
I did a lot of research the past few months and learned a lot about the rifle. First the earlier "Remlins" , when Remington took over, were plagued with problems. The models produced the past couple of years are supposedly much better.
The only problems I've really read about, on the newer models, were the heavy trigger pull, the sights and the loading gate. If that's it I can easily remedy those things. I'll have to see when I get it home.
savage99nc and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55   #5

Well it looks like FedEx screwed up. It said my FFL would have it Friday. Friday it changed to Saturday and he was closed for the long weekend. I'm guessing it will be delivered today .. it still says Saturday in tracking.
I'm going out of town this afternoon until late tomorrow night. Unless it's in in the next couple of hours it's going to be Thursday.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:59   #6

Warning this will be a negative review. I picked up the Marlin 336C and I should have probably went over it better and not accepted it.
First the hammer is sloppy. It has about at least 1/16" movement to the left and to the right .. total of about 1/8" side to side. The lever has a good amount of side to side play as well. When you give it a slight wiggle it sounds like something is loose in the rifle. I'm thinking maybe the magazine tube spring. Oh the magazine tube is not centered in the forward stock and the tube is loose.
I contacted Marlin (Remington) and they set me up with RA# and emailed me a shipping label. I printed it and boxed the rifle. It stated that I had to go to a FedEx facility that accepted "dangerous items". I located a facility about 1/2 an hour away.
I drive to the facility and the woman says let me get someone who knows about this. Then they tell me we cannot accept it because it is a ground label. Remington should know better. Ticked off I leave and call Marlin on the way home. Marlin says they are wrong. I call FedEx from home and all they do is call the facility. I'm told it has to be express with signature.
I call Marlin back and the gentleman says they are wrong and puts me on hold. He comes back and the person who deals with FedEx is on vacation but will be back Monday morning. He stated we ship tens of thousands all the time and they are wrong. That is for handguns not rifles.
Either way I spent an hour traveling (plus gas) and got no where. Next week I will have to do it over again (time and gas) and it will be that much longer I'm waiting on my "new" rifle. It should have never left Marlin in that condition and FedEx should know their own shipping policies.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:35   #7

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
If possible, I would simply return it to where I purchased it and ask for a refund, or at least credit towards something else.
savage99nc and Ben Dover like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 13:57   #8

2rangers that would be the easy solution except nobody had one near by. I ordered it online and my FFL received it for me.
In the mean time I contacted FedEx Corporate CS and had a complaint done regarding the facility in question. Maybe it will save someone else some grief in the future. I doubt FedEx will do anything for my time and gas. In the complaint I also mentioned that when printing the label it stated only good for 5 days. That would be end of day Tuesday.
Old 09-07-2018, 15:36   #9

By the way I checked with Marlin the year of manufacture. I thought maybe it was new old stock and it was from the "lemon" period. Nope it's a 2018.
Old 09-07-2018, 18:30   #10
large member

i have a "real" marlin....one of the last few to be made i am assuming....

that is one beast of a rifle. i really, really respect henry and love their rifles....but my "real" marlin seems a small step above imo. the craftsmanship, materials, price, and refinement were so good..i just didn't appreciate it at the time.

that said....new "marlins"...well...i guess "sketchy" is the term.

all said....bang for the buck...henry seems to be the king of the lever these days, unless you like the foreign stuff. and myself, i'm not overly impressed with the brazil (good price, lower quality) and japanese/itlaian (good quality, crazy prices) cowboy guns..

damn shame about marlin...classic case of "don't know what you got till its gone".....
LoneWolf likes this.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 19:45   #11

I'm hoping after all the aggravation Marlin makes it right. I'm not saying it's a total piece of junk. The stock is pretty nice and the fit not bad. The finish looked pretty good as well. If they get the issues the rifle has fixed it may be a pretty good rifle. I can't speak to the accuracy or anything as I haven't had a chance to fire it yet.
I will say whether it be management, the workers or whatever the situation the "Freedom Group" better get it under control. I gave them a shot and so far I'm disappointed and hoping they make it right. I think they've lost, and for good, a good percentage of the market do to the shoddy products they have been producing. JMO
As for Henry I own 3 and am totally happy with them all.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:25   #12
Honor our Constitution !

Sorry to read about this nightmare......
I know you want a NEW rifle, but you may have been better off looking through pawn shops, online retailers, etc. for a lightly used "used" 336.
I have a 1976 m.336 that Dad bought new and has had maybe 40 rounds fired through it.
It's from Marlins "Golden Years" and for a .30/30 can't be beat at 100 yards.
Still feels like new.....even has the "new gun" stiffness.

I REALLY hope that this all gets sorted out for you in a timely manner.

.....and mfgrs. wonder why customers are leaving in convoys.......here's their sign !
sandog likes this.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:20   #13

Well the saga continues. I contacted my guy at Henry to ask if the rifle has to ship 2 day express with signature .. it did with Henry one time. He told me no we do that as a courtesy so the turnaround is faster for you. Now that's customer service ! He said long gun can go ground only handgun has to go express.
So FedEx was wrong and Marlin was right. But the saga continues.
I call them a couple of hours ago to see if they straightened it out with FedEx. I spoke with Chris. He said to please hold and he'll check. After a minute or two he returns and says for me to take it to a gun shop and have it shipped. I explained the FedEx was 30 minutes each way already. My FFL is 45 minutes each way and then there might be a cost. He stated I'm a consumer and can't ship it and that's all he can tell me and I'd be reimbursed if I was charged at the FFL.
Number one I'm out an hour (plus gas) last Friday at FedEx plus all the time on the phone. I'm out again an hour and a half (plus gas) today plus time on the phone. All I can say is I gave Marlin, and Freedom Group, a chance and I'm regretting it already. I will join the rest and say to hell with their products .. firearms, ammo, etc..
Again I took the chance and the rifle should never have passed quality control and left their facility. After me calling they should have been on the phone with FedEx and straightened it out. Instead take it to a gun shop. I'm noticing a pattern. Pass the faulty rifle to the consumer. Pass getting it back to them to the consumer.
I guarantee they do nothing for my time or gas so I'm just washing my hands with them.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-10-2018 at 12:29. Reason: Spelling
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 00:25   #14

I would agree with another poster's recommendation to purchase a pre remlin Marlin. I myself bought a pre-crossbolt safety model 336 ( late 1970's production) in .35 rem caliber. With my handloads it will shoot 1.5 to 2.0 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I could not be happier. This with a 1.5 to 4x Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn model scope. I think Marlin put the crossbolt safety on in 1984. Scour the pawnshops, you can usually find one in good shape for less than $425.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 00:29   #15

While i really like the Henry's, and have one in 30-30, i really hate the rebounding hammer. Thats why my preference in a deer caliber lever 30, or 35 cal, is the pre- crossbolt safety Marlin 336.
40nascar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:45   #16

Just an update. I called my FFL after leaving it with him Monday morning to make sure it shipped. FedEx took it from him no problem and that's with my label on it (?). I checked tracking and Remington (NY) has it as of 9am yesterday. It's still not in the track repair section but I assume it will be soon.
I'm going to try and remain optimistic that Marlin will make it right but I'm still frustrated.
Old 09-12-2018, 15:32   #17
Honor our Constitution !

totally understandable........
BUT
don't be shocked if you get a call saying that "it's within factory spec. for a new rifle" and " sorry but there's nothing we can do"......

factory specifications nowadays with some companies are pretty much......if it goes bang let it ship......
Old 09-12-2018, 16:52   #18

Where I live, deep in the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ozarks "30-30" and "deer rifle" are used interchangeably to describe a tool for killing deer.
Every deer I have ever killed was with a Marlin 336 30-30. I've not hunted deer for many years but when I did most of my companions used a lever action of some sort, mostly Marlins with a mil surp and Winchester now and then.
For nostalgia reasons I wanted a Marlin 30-30 to reminisce about the old days.
Research told me Remlins were not of the same quality as "JM" stamped Marlins. I looked hard for a decent "JM". Most of what I found were not in real good condition.
I did find one however on Armslist but had to drive 100 miles to get it. The trip and hunt were well worth the investment. Its all there with no boogered up screws and 100% blue.

savage99nc, sandog and Rockys Pop like this.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59   #19

2Ranger beat me to it. As a Marlin owner and competition shooter with them, I am a 50 year Marlin owner-believer. You are way better off being patient and finding an old, lightly used original non push safety Marlin. The quality and accuracy of the original Marlins is worth the effort and time. Yes the micro groove will shoot hard cast and a 3x7 wide field of view scope can turn the Marlin into a very fine hunter / shooter for short and medium range. That flat top side ejection frame is mage for a scope and you do not need to remove the big short range iron sights.
Good luck,
Ed
Rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:38   #20
Keeper of the records

I've had the same shipping problems with UPS.

Always ask for the manager. If he/she won't talk to you, get on your cell phone, right there at the counter, and call the district manager,
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:32   #21

Well they had received it on Tuesday morning. It wasn't entered into the system until yesterday as I received an email stating click on this link to view status. Enter repair # and Serial #. When you click the link it takes you to Remington's home page. I found the repair status area and it asks for serial # and zip code .. no repair #. I enter the serial # and zip and the page resets. ??
I called a few minutes ago and the gentlemen said it should say something like received or whatever. He said I'll send you a link so you can check. A couple of minutes later the email comes with a link to where I was .. enter serial and zip .. which does nothing.

Rockys Pop I hope you're wrong about within spec.
Old 09-14-2018, 16:19   #22

I just checked the Remington Repair site. It now says Repair Progress : New.
I'm going to try and remain positive. Hopefully an armorer will get the issues straightened out next week and who knows maybe I'll even get it back next week.
In the meantime I'm going to take my daughter, either tomorrow or Sunday depending on rain, to the range. I think we'll plink with the Henry pump and the Marlin LTR.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:15   #23

Checked the repair status yesterday afternoon and it changed to REPAIRING. I'm going to remain optimistic that the repairs are done right.
Old 09-20-2018, 20:35   #24

I was out of town for a couple of days and just got back. I checked Repair Status and it says "Parked".
That doesn't sound good. It went from Repairing to Parked. I know it has problems, as I have listed, but I wonder if Parked means non repairable (?).

I'll call in the morning.

I just remembered about 2 years ago when I sent my Marlin LTR in for repair. It had changed from Repairing to Parked. When I called they said non repairable and it had to be destroyed. That was a brand new rifle as well. I'll find out in an hour or two.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 09-21-2018 at 05:09. Reason: Remembered about LTR
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:36   #25

I just got off the phone with Remington. The lady had to place me on hold and check into it. About 3 minutes later she said I was correct and it has to be destroyed.
I gave her my FFL information but requested the new rifle not just be pulled off a shelf and shipped. It should be checked out thoroughly prior to shipping. She said it's not her dept. and doesn't know if they will but will put a note in file.
I explained 2 rifles in 2 years from Marlin and both had to be destroyed. I wasted a lot of my time and money just going back and forth trying to ship it. Not to mention I've owned it for 3 weeks and can't even shoot it. It didn't sound like they wanted to do anything for me.
Just got a call back, while typing this, from Remington. My FFL is on vacation for 2 weeks. Now I have to find another FFL or wait.