Finally Decided - Page 3 - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2018, 22:06   #51
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
You're a patient man. I hope she dials in for you. 8 lb trigger pull is way over the top. Don't know if it can be safely worked over.
the onset of "anti liability" triggers in the 80s has gotten worse and worse

when EDC handgun companies BRAG about ONLY 4# T/P....you know it's sad.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:08   #52

Sorry to hear about your experiences, Lone Wolf.
I've always liked Marlins, I've owned them in just about every caliber.
I'd avoid any from the 2008 to 2010-2011 period, I saw some Guide guns on the rack back then. that had pretty sorry fit and finish, and the actions felt like they had gravel in them.
I have two Remlins that were made in 2014 and 2016, and no issues what so ever.
One thing that ticks me off is how they over buff the flats on the octagon models till the edges are rounded. That is one manufacturing step where less is more.

Your hammer and lever having so much play is unusual. One thing I notice on all Marlins is the bluing will wear off one side of the hammer from scraping, but not the other.
When I take the older non Remlin .45 Cowboy I just got apart, I'll see if I can put a thin washer on that side of the hammer to shim it, and re blue the side of the hammer that's been scraping.

Yes, the lifter will clank if you raise the muzzle up and then back down, it's just part of the design.
Yesterday a friend wanted to look at my new Cowboy Limited, and when he grabbed it, I heard a clank and saw he was wearing a ring. I told him to please take the ring off if he wanted to continue to handle the rifle, as I didn't want the stock scratched up.

He gave me a weird look like I was crazy, then shook the rifle around a few times and said the noise I heard must have been that "loose part" inside.
I took the rifle back from him, knowing the noise was the ring and not the cartridge lifter as he had been holding the rifle level before. You gotta watch out for guys like that.

I "speed up" the breaking in of a new lever by working the action some, then take it apart and take some Emery cloth to the places that have burrs or rub marks.
Actually shooting the gun does the same and is more fun, but not always practical when the weather is crappy outside.

Just working the action and pulling the trigger, while easing the hammer down will do wonders. It easy to do when watching a movie or TV show, but can get on the wife's nerves. A few hundred cycles will do wonders on a new stiff gun.
I did that to my virtually unfired Browning BL-22 last week, and the trigger pull went from 5 1/2 lbs to 4 3/4.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:22   #53

Sorry for the late reply but I've been busy with family and the holidays. Happy New Year !
Thanks for the tips sandog !
I've probably shot about 200 rounds through the 336 now and everything is breaking in. I noticed the loading gate is a bit easier. The action is getting smoother as well. Also the 2-7 scope seems to work well for me as I don't expect to be making any long distance shots here in the NE. It would have been nice to get a higher quality scope but this is working so I can't complain.
sandog and Rockys Pop like this.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:45   #54

Just an update on the 336C. I made some changes over the winter and I've been testing at the outdoor range. The biggest change was the scope. The 2-7 that I had mounted had eye relief and clarity issues for me. So I saved up and purchased a Bushnell that was being discontinued because they were coming out with a "latest and greatest" to take it's place. Before the replies come I wish I had the money for a Leupold but I just didn't. I went with the Trophy Extreme in 2.5-10x44mm. My thought was I can still take relatively close shots but also reach out if I had to. So far I'm quite pleased with it.
I know I mentioned I had tried a few different manufacturer's ammo and Hornady worked the best. Well I tried 2 more manufacturers and again Hornady still works the best .. in my rifle. When I get the chance I'll take some pictures of the rifle with this set up.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:12   #55

I've never had any problems with Bushnell optics. By the way, if you purchased the scope during the month of March, you may qualify for a $40 rebate through Bushnell.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34   #56
Honor our Constitution !

I have a cheap scope on my 336 and as long as I use the ammo it prefers I can shoot 2" groups @ 100 yds all day........that'll drop any deer in my state so i'm happy
Old 04-19-2019, 11:48   #57
Honor our Constitution !

i'm going to order and install the Wolff spring in my '76 336....the trigger is already good but I bet this will make it GREAT
Old 04-20-2019, 08:23   #58

gunslinger71973
I have to check but I believe I purchased it in February but thanks for the heads up.

Rockys Pop
If your '76 trigger is good the Wolff spring may not make a difference. Your factory spring may be relaxed (it's 43 years old) and everything broken in. I would check the poundage first. JMO

Has anyone installed the Ranger Point loading gate ? The pro's and con's ?
I was just wondering if it was worth the money. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 14:37   #59
Honor our Constitution !

nope Lone Wolf....... that rifle probably has < 40 rounds fired through it (I know for a fact < 50) and it's still as stiff as a brand new rifle, but as smooth as a 70's Marlin.
Dad bought it brand new (Otasco Hardware) and i'm the only one that's fired it after the 1st round......
He fired it ONCE, shook his head and handed it to me.......stayed in his gun case until about a year , maybe 18 months ago.

I used it to shoot beaver and targets, but not that often.
Old 04-20-2019, 17:23   #60

Boy that must be one beautiful rifle !
Well I stand corrected the Wolff spring might be just the ticket. I know for a fact it reduced mine by about 3 pounds. I would still check the lbs of pull before just so you have a before and after reference.
I'd love to see a picture of it.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:50   #61
Honor our Constitution !

except for a small stock scuff or 2 it's basically just like the day it was bought
LoneWolf likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14   #62

Looks really nice !

I finally got around to taking a picture of mine. It's a little blurry but you can make it out.

I used the Warne QD rings and a super low profile rail. If I need to I can remove the scope, flip up the buck horn sight and raise the elevator in a minute or two. I installed a fiber optic front, adjusted the rear and tested at 50 and 100 yards. The difference at both distances is negligible.
blamster likes this.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 04-22-2019 at 10:32.
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:25   #63
Honor our Constitution !

man....that's top shelf stuff right there!

love the checkering and the way you have it set up.

EDIT: I was with Dad at the store when he bought it, I was 12 but remember it being a whole $125.00....one with fancy checkering and a rubber butt pad would have been $150.00
Old 04-22-2019, 14:52   #64

Thanks RP ! I have my Henry 223 set up the same way. I'm hoping this set up gives me the best of both worlds. It should be good in relatively close conditions and also be able to reach out when needed.

Here's the targets I used sighting in the Henry and Marlin. Both were at 50 yards with the forend on a rest.

Henry at 50 yards.

Marlin at 50 yards. The holes to the left I tried standing and leaning against the canopy post. As if I were in the woods steadying against a tree.

I'm editing to add this picture I found. It's from the day I was sighting in the rifles near the end of February. It's the Henry with the scope off and zeroing the iron sights. You can see the scope on the right side of the bench.
Rockys Pop likes this.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 04-22-2019 at 16:43. Reason: Add a picture
Old 04-23-2019, 05:56   #65

EDIT: I was with Dad at the store when he bought it, I was 12 but remember it being a whole $125.00....one with fancy checkering and a rubber butt pad would have been $150.00
That's some good memories !

I had to look up what I paid. It was right at $500 with the FFL fees and all.
And I bet another $300 with the scope, rings, rail, trigger spring, etc..
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 16:02   #66

I was able to get out over the weekend and it was the perfect day to see how I liked the new set up. I walked in the woods and I had a mix of partly sunny, overcast and even misting for a while.
I came to the conclusion while this set up on my Henry is great it isn't going to work for my style of hunting on the Marlin. On the Henry I'm coyote hunting. Basically sitting while the electronic call is going and some decoys out. I'm usually looking at 75-100 yard shot .. sometimes more.
While in the woods I found the rifle a bit heavier but that's because of the scope, rings and base which is expected. I also found it to be more cumbersome in the thicker stuff. Another thing I found was target acquisition took a bit longer then I'm used to. So live and learn. What was a great set up for one style of hunting was not so good for another.
I'm going to remove the scope, rings and base and go back to my Skinner winged peep sight with the fiber optic front sight. IMO I was faster on target acquisition. The rifle is lighter and easier to handle in the thicker areas. I can keep good groups out to 100 yards and most of the time deer hunting my shot is well under 100.
When I get the Marlin set up again I'll post a picture.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:48   #67
Honor our Constitution !

Henry.......Big Boy........in .223????.........must go investigate this....NOW
Old 05-02-2019, 08:32   #68

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
Henry.......Big Boy........in .223????.........must go investigate this....NOW
I have the Henry Long Ranger in .223/556.
Here's a picture but again it's a bit blurry.

Rockys Pop likes this.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 05-02-2019 at 08:50. Reason: Add picture
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50   #69
Honor our Constitution !

love it !

and ammo for it is about 1/2-1/3 the $ of .22/250 ammo which is what I really want (bolt action of course)
LoneWolf likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:13   #70

Since I'm going back to my original set up, and have to sight in again, I thought I might as well do the upgrades I felt were a necessity.
As you can see in a previous picture I like going to the range shooting in winter as well as fair weather. The first thing I found was the stock loop lever was fine bare handed but with thick gloves I could barely wedge them in. I ended up shooting with thin wool gloves which was better then nothing.
A few weeks ago another gentlemen at the range had a large loop Marlin and I asked him if I could hold it for a minute. IMO it was overkill and aesthetically didn't go well with the rifle .. JMO.
After researching I found a medium loop lever made by Ranger Point Precision. They also make a lighter loading gate as well. Well I'll be broke for a while but I bit the bullet and ordered both of them. After I get them installed and the rifle sighted in I'll post a picture and give my opinion of them.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:36   #71

The parts I had ordered from Ranger point Precision had come in the other day. They produce some nice products. I can't post any pictures at the moment as the image hosting site is down.
The medium loop lever finish is really nice and matches my 336 perfectly. Installation was about 15 minutes and the hardest part was removing the pin, plunger and spring and reinstalling in the new lever. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing (to me) but it functions with winter gloves .. for my hand anyway.
I installed the loading gate while I had the lever out. I also cleaned everything and lubed. I have no way of actually measuring the amount of pressure resistance on the stock vs new loading gate but I would guess it's about 50% lighter.
One last thing I added was the cb safety delete from Beartooth Mercantile. The fit and finish were great on this as well. It actually appears to be a screw head on each side of the receiver where the safety was. I should explain I had my first 336 roughly 40 years ago and took my first deer with it. Back then the half cock safety was fine and I feel still is. Also at the range I had put the cb safety on and forgot and when I pulled the trigger .. click !
Anyway I'll add pictures when the site is up again.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:31   #72

Sounds like a bring it back to how it should be, project. When the makers started running production by lawyer, I started buying their old models only.
Ed
Rockys Pop and LoneWolf like this.
Rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37   #73

I've been trying for about a week to log in to UltraIMG but the site must be down. As soon as the site's up I'll post some images.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:39   #74

UltraIMG is back up !

Excuse the blurry pictures and it's a bit picture heavy trying to show the upgrades.

Here's a picture of the entire rifle.

Here's a close up of the loading gate and safety delete.

This shows the new medium loop.

Along with putting the Skinner winged peep back on I reinstalled the Skinner rear sight blank spare aperture holder.

I just added this picture of the stock loop vs the medium loop.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 05-17-2019 at 12:55. Reason: Added a comparison picture
Old 08-02-2019, 18:29   #75

I have a few Marlin's myself you made a good choice.
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote