• 1 Post By shortshooter
  • 2 Post By LoneWolf
  • 1 Post By W.R.Buchanan
  • 1 Post By 40nascar
  • 2 Post By daddyusmaximus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2018, 11:31   #1

My Cowboy assault rifle

I like lever guns. They have an old school John Wayne type coolness that is undeniable. True, they are outclassed by today's AR when it comes to being the modern self defense rifle, but they are still functional, and fun. I depend on my .300 Blackout SBR as my home defense, gun, my SHTF gun, and I'd like take it everywhere, but being an SBR it comes with the pesky federal rules... I don't like the idea of getting a permission slip to travel across state lines with it, so I will be building a pistol lower for it, but there are some places where every AR is frowned upon.

Enter the good old cowboy lever gun. I do like them, and most idiot liberals aren't so scared of them that they are as yet being vilified in the press. I decided I needed one that could serve as a defensive weapon. I call it the "Cowboy assault rifle" just to piss off the liberals. Of course, this is not intended to do any "assaulting" on any others rights. I may do some hunting with it, but it will primarily be a self defense gun against any man or beast that intends me or mine harm. Being defensive in nature, I only need a close range weapon. Being as lives are at stake, I need a powerful one, so I chose a Rossi 92 in .44 mag.

I started with a 24" rifle that has the heavy octagon barrel. I wanted this barrel for the accuracy of the heavy barrel, and a little for the cool factor as well... However I wanted a short carbine. Nobody made one, so I had this one shortened to 17". It still holds 9 rounds, and ballistics is very good out of this length. I got lucky, and it balances very well. The 24" barrel was way too long for a defensive weapon, and you'd have to hand load to get the best use out of that barrel anyway with a pistol cartridge.

The action was very smooth on the Rossi, but the lever was a finger crusher, so a larger loop from Steve's guns was put on. I'm not a fan of buckhorn sights either, so I went with Steve's guns again for their rear peep sight that replaces the stupid bolt safety. It matches up well with a white bead sight I had put on the front. The dovetail in the barrel from the old rear sight was filled, and a section of picatinny from an AR sail system was mounted on the flat portion of the barrel over it for a Sig Romeo 5 red dot sight. I can see the rail in the bottom of the peep if I take off the red dot, but I can still get a good sight picture, and they are still useable as back up. I keep the allen key to it under the leather ammo cuff made by a guy I met on a lever gun facebook page. The stupid curved metal butstock was cut straight, and a Hogue recoil pad added, making this gun shoot much nicer to an old retired cripple.

Overall I am very happy with the resulting gun. It shoots point of aim, (with Hornady Leverevolution) and does so very quickly. It doesn't mount a light, or have a 30 round magazine, but it is legal in almost every municipality, and has a cool factor all its own...

daddyusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 22:36   #2
Honor our Constitution !

i'm lovin' that !
Old 07-26-2018, 16:50   #3

My fourth lever

@daddy, looks like you've got a nice piece there. I'm responding because I rationalized my new (July 17) BLR as a backup to my ARs. It's chambered in .223, so whatever's lying on the floor can fit in it. Who knows? Barrels can get hot, gas-driven actions can get clunky; whatever. But I just like to shoot it; had a BL-22 before, and used to shoot it off my deck in my mountain home in Colorado after I came home from work.

This one has a Leupold vx3i (1.5-5) that gives me an instant, clear view of anything within 100yds, more or less. I like that it won't pinch my trigger finger and that it has a box mag. (I've dreamed of putting a modified 20rd mag on it.) I'm also looking for a sling that won't require me to drill studs in that beautiful wooden checkered stock and would allow me to carry it across my chest like my V-tac for my M4.

My other leverguns were 30-30 Marlin and Henry.
Attached Thumbnails
My Cowboy assault rifle-img_3028-2-.jpg   My Cowboy assault rifle-img_3029.jpg  
shortshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 17:24   #4
Honor our Constitution !

I have the .30/30 Marlin 336 (pre safety)
a Winchester 1873 Short Rifle in .357/.38Spl
Mod 94 Winchester .32 Win.Spl.
Henry .22Lr & Henry .22WMR

but my manually operated "assault" rifle is a C-45 Taurus Lightning pump action.45LC
26" Barrel, 14rd. tube, and true to the origional Colt model it has the "slam fire" trigger group that allows holding back the trigger and pumping to rapid fire.
Old 07-26-2018, 17:51   #5

Ah hah! Like one a them nasty bump stocks, eh? Well, you still have to pump!
Rockys Pop likes this.

Last edited by shortshooter; 07-27-2018 at 04:51.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56   #6

Where is the top rail? Even my Fully Non Semi No 5 Roller Assault Weapon has a custom rail on top? Gee wiz.
Attached Thumbnails
My Cowboy assault rifle-img_0474.jpg  
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 17:40   #7

Definitely a nice rifle. And I agree on all your points for wanting the lever action.
I have a similar set up and thought I was the only one ! Mine is a Henry.
Isn't the rear peep sight a Skinner Lo Pro ? I have that sight on another Henry.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-12-2018 at 04:09.
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 18:24   #8

Just a point of interest: in the August issue of Shooting Times which features a nice-looking Moss 464 with a RAIL and a micro Aimpoint, I quote: "As Layne Simpson once wrote, '. . . a lever action can spit out a lot of lead fast.'" The author also says a lever makes follow-up shots "almost, but not quite, as fast as an autoloader."

He mentions that you need to keep it on your shoulder, of course, which we all do.
savage99nc likes this.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:09   #9

shortshooter nice pics .. love the BLR. Also your reasoning of the ammo.
That's the reasoning for my Henry Long Ranger in 223. I always have ammo on hand for either the Mini or Henry !
savage99nc and shortshooter like this.
Old 08-21-2018, 16:25   #10

Very nice looking lever action rifle,with the barrel short.Myself I love the long barrel. Congratulations on yours.
If1Hitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 15:05   #11

I like what you've done, however there is alot more you can do with that gun by Reloading for it.

The .44 Mag/Spec is one of the most versatile calibers there is.

By loading to different levels you can go from Mouse gun to Moose gun by simply changing the load in the cartridge. The .44 Magnum with the right boolits is up to anything in N/A and people are relatively low on the list.

Her's a video of my Hand Press showing me loading Mid Range .44 Mags with Cast Boolits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=16s

Something to think about.

Randy
savage99nc likes this.
Old 09-11-2018, 00:41   #12

My cowboy "Salt" rifle, Late model win94 SRC in .44 Mag.
savage99nc likes this.
40nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:50   #13

Lever guns are excellent. One sits next to my bed with 10 rounds of 45 colt goodness. A smooth lever gun can fire at a good pace when needed or just one when your hungry for a tasty animal. I have two Marlins, one Rossi, and one Winchester. Always thinking about getting another.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 23:00   #14

I have been away from this forum, but I have made a change to my Combat Cowboy Carbine. It now had night time capability... thanks to the Streamlight in the Haley Strategic Thorntail mount.

savage99nc and dh1633pm like this.
daddyusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote