• 1 Post By 2rangers
  • 2 Post By shortshooter
  • 3 Post By shortshooter
  • 1 Post By shortshooter
  • 1 Post By headedtotexas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 06:17   #1

My new BLR

I bought a new Browning Lightweight '81 BLR in .223, zeroed it with its iron sights, and it's hitting four-inch groups at 100yds. I just installed a new Leupold VX-3i, 1.5X5-20mm, and zeroed it at 50yds, and it shoots groups of two-inches at 100yds. This is my fourth lever, and I find it the best.

I chose .223 because I only want to use it for shorter ranges, and I wanted ammo I could actually afford, not having to reload it as I have to do with my other rifles.

The fit and finish is exemplary, and after a couple hundred rounds, the action is smoothing up a bit (it was fairly tight). Altogether, it weighs 7.5lbs, and I'm wondering whether I should put a sling on it. Any ideas?
shortshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 21:28   #2

I would, but I think a side mounted 1.5" Nylon Sling would be the best as it would allow eh gun to lay flat on your back. You need to find one that has a Velcro butt harness so you don't have to drill holes in the stock, and a Velcro Wrap around for the front end.

Your choice of the Leupold VX3 in 1.5-5X is a great one. Since you already sighted it in at 50 yards you next step would be to verify it at 200 which should be there.

Then you are dead on at 50, 1" high at 100, dead on again at 200 and 12" low at 300, which pretty much covers that round.

Is your gun a takedown version?

Randy
Old 08-03-2017, 05:16   #3

Thanks, W.R. My piece is not the takedown; in appearance, it looks just like an 1894 with the straight grip and barrel band. It's my favorite carbine. I do have a sling from Specter for my Mini-14, and have already tried it on the BLR, but it doesn't fit. It uses Velcro for the buttstock and forearm. I did look at leather shotgun slings which don't require swivels, but they hook around the trigger guard--ours, of course are not stationary. I will keep looking; it would be great to have it over my shoulder or my back.

BTW, my wife and I both like Ojai; we used to go there when we lived in Agoura Hills back in the early 80s.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:42   #4

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Shortshooter- I'm of the belief that all rifles should have a sling. Not only as an aid to steady shooting, but to carry it around, and leave a hand or two free to do other things.
chill1955 likes this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:02   #5

2rangers - I agree, and have always felt that way until I met my beautiful straight-gripped walnut-stocked BLR w/cut checkering. If my piece were to have to go 'under the knife,' I'd like to have my sling mounted similar to that on my Colt M4--on the left side of the forearm, and on the top of the buttstock. That way, with an adjustable sling, such as the V-Tac that I have, I could carry it across my chest and have TWO HANDS free.
2rangers and W.R.Buchanan like this.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:31   #6

I used to say, "as a pistol needs a holster, a rifle needs a sling." Probably lots of people say that.

shortshooter
2rangers, hawkguy and chill1955 like this.
Old 08-04-2017, 18:17   #7
large member

get a pic in our awesome new gallery!
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 18:22   #8

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
get a pic in our awesome new gallery!
How do I navigate to it?
hawkguy likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:27   #9

Love mine. It's a takedown in 223. Now wears a 4x32 scope instead of the cheapo red dot.
Attached Thumbnails
My new BLR-blr-scout.jpg  
shortshooter likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 19:56   #10

Congrats, I would put the BLR at the top of lever gun fit and finish. Unless you only bench shoot I would buy the sling. There are some no-drill options out there. I wouldn't want to drill the beautiful walnut either. But carrying all day with no sling, you start making more and more transitions due to discomfort. That can lead to sloppy handling and brush scarring or an errant muzzle sweep. Just more to consider.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:15   #11
jyo

I've been shooting my older (mid 80s) BLR in .308 since it was brand new---mine is a steel framed, non-takedown model and curiously enough, is fitted with a Leupold 1.5-5X scope as well in Warne quick-release rings. With ammo it "likes", it will produce accuracy pretty similar to your .223---fine for a hunting rifle...
jyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 18:07   #12

Happy to hear that, jyo. I ordered my ring/mounts from Browning, but they say Talley on them. Actually, I'm still looking for a proper non-invasive sling for it, but it spends most of its time sitting here looking pretty, leaning against my desk!

BTW, I found a sling company that makes beautiful leather slings for levers, but only those that have tubular mags. Now that Henry is out with one that has a box mag, perhaps they'll do something about it.

I had a Henry once, in 30-30, and it was a beautiful piece, but the lever would pop out when you pressed the follower tube down into the mag. After sending it back, it still had the same problem, so I sold it.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:55   #13
Honor our Constitution !

working on a Miroku .308 right now that someone broke the back sight off @ the adjuster and somehow let the bore get rust patches.
as fine a weapon as Browning designed, if this were mine, i'd be pissed !!
Old 05-01-2018, 22:49   #14
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
working on a Miroku .308 right now that someone broke the back sight off @ the adjuster and somehow let the bore get rust patches.
as fine a weapon as Browning designed, if this were mine, i'd be pissed !!
OMG $60 for the sight assembly because the arpeture isn't in stock anywhere......I offered the options of the Williams fire-sight set ($30) or factory replacement ($55)
This thing shoulders so well that I may end up getting one in .243 to keep in my truck.