Choosing 1st Lever Action: Need Advice - Shooting Sports Forum

Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2016, 15:49   #1
Registered Member

Choosing 1st Lever Action: Need Advice

I'd like to buy a new lever action rifle chambered in .357 and not loaded under the barrel (like a Henry), just my personal preference. I'll be going to the range only, not a hunter. Like to keep the cost around $1000 give or take a few hundred. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
hawkguy likes this.
ponderwilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 17:58   #2

My first choice would be this:
1873 Rifle and Carbine | Uberti

One with the octagonal barrel and case hardened receiver.
Phish likes this.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 19:40   #3
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gunslinger71973 View Post
My first choice would be this:
1873 Rifle and Carbine | Uberti

One with the octagonal barrel and case hardened receiver.
I'll look at those. Thank you!
ponderwilu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2016, 16:46   #4

I never knew about those safety button plugs. That may change my mind about Rossi's. That's some good info COSteve.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 21:11   #5
Honor our Constitution !

You can get a Miroku Japan ( makes Browning also) Winchester short rifle 1873 for the same price as a Uberti/Pedersoli.
Wouldn't trade mine for the world
Old 06-26-2016, 22:39   #6

I would look at Marlin in .357 if you want to spend the coin. That said I have a Rossie in .357 that is quite accurate and very soft shooting. I have an old one that did not have the crappy safety. I lucked out and got it for $150 at local Pawn Shop I am on good terms with.
Rockys Pop, Beck and Phish like this.
Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 16:59   #7
M.I.A.

This past winter I also bought a new stainless 16" trapper model of the Rossi '92 in .357, to compliment my revolvers. It's pretty nice. Internals were a little rough with tool marks, but I tore it down and smoothed it out some. Exterior finish is better than the old ones, for sure. Good wood to metal fit also.

I eventually will get better iron sights and some of the misc upgrade parts from Steve's Guns that COSteve mentioned and clean up the action some more. For the money this one is perfect, if you don't mind tinkering a bit.

If you don't want to tinker, I've handled the Winchester also, but I couldn't get it in the configuration I wanted. It was also 2.5 times as expensive.

Over all I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. But I think if you look at the Rossi you should go into it knowing what you can get into.

Here is a nice write-up that I saw (and actually some experience COSteve posted on another forum) that got me to looking at the Rossi again: The .357 Magnum Carbine, Perfected | The Sixgun Journal
Old 06-29-2016, 22:43   #8
Honor our Constitution !

Out to 50 yards the Winnie 73 is deadly accurate in .38 spl. with even the cheapest cowboy ammo money can buy.......past that .357 will wear out a pie plate with iron sights at 100 yards using Winchester or Federal ammo.....
Yes, it's more expensive than a Rossi by far, but it's slick as butter out of the box.

That said, my best friend had a Rossi Puma .357 lever....pre safety.....that never failed him and had fine accuracy too, but it didn't like feeding .38 spl ammo.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:18   #9
large member

i understand the side loading gate, but i'd reconsider the henry myself.

i have a marlin 336 i love with a side loading gate, and it is very stiff and actually a bit more of PITA to load than you might expect. the rossi i had was pretty quick to load on the side, but i found the rossi didn't make me happy in several ways, so i sold it.

the tube loading system is actually quick enough and won't be a bother for a range gun (or hunting either). for the the money, i think henry makes one of the highest quality levers out there today and they stand by their rifles 100%. i have a henry 357 and it is one of my overall favorite rifles.

Originally Posted by ponderwilu View Post
I'd like to buy a new lever action rifle chambered in .357 and not loaded under the barrel (like a Henry), just my personal preference. I'll be going to the range only, not a hunter. Like to keep the cost around $1000 give or take a few hundred. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:22   #10
large member

Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
You can get a Winchester marked 1892 carbine, however, it's made by the Japanese, not Americans and it will set you back close to 3 times what the Rossi will.
rossi is not made in america either. brazil i think? uberti also not made in america.

HENRY: every part sourced and made in USA. bit more $ than rossi....but you see instantly where that extra money is....solid craftsmanship!
40nascar and Phish like this.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:16   #11
large member

Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Don't get me wrong, the Henry is a nice gun and the Winchester is too, but they both cost more, the Henry about 1.5 times the Rossi and the Winchester about 2.5 times the Rossi. Are they worth the extra $$? That's for the buyer to decide.
having owned both a rossi ranch hand 357 and a henry big boy 357....i can personally easily see where the extra money was invested, and imo...the extra money for the big boy is WELL worth it.

my rossi was a solid performer. the craftsmanship was at best OK. the safety was terrible. the cheap wood stock was poorly fitted and even the bluing was inconsistent. compare to the henry with a beautiful brass alloy receiver, gorgeous walnut stock fitted perfectly, and a perfect, rich bluing on a beast of an octagonal barrel. out of the box my henry was on the money and slick as oil. honestly, imo...the rossi didn't hold a candle to the henry in quality or performance out of the box.. but...the rossi 357 will cost 150-200 less. but again, easy to tell where rossi saved that money. (mediocre craftmanship, cheap out of country labor).

think of this: do you want a beater that will get it done...or a work of art to really appreciate for years to come? that is the difference between the rossi and henry from my experience. add in the fact ,henry is one helluva american company that bends over backwards to appreciate their customers.

and imo, owning both....a henry big boy and a henry golden boy can hardly be compared. i agree henry 22's are internally a biton the cheapside for they charge....still damn beautiful and backed by henry though...

i have no ownership experience to offer on a winchester or uberti....as i have never had the pocketbook for one.....
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:23   #12

I just spent about 45 minutes writing about my good experience with the Rossi Model 92 in 357 Mag/38 Spl. Had a nice picture and everything... and then I lost it all. Any way to get it back? Or should I just walk out into the street and scream F**k as loud as I can? It was a really good post too... one of my best. Well anyway... here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing 1st Lever Action: Need Advice-rossi.jpg  
John 15:13
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11   #13

I am a real big Henry fan. I own a Henry Big Boy .357mag Carbine, the fit and finish is perfect and the action is as smooth as butter plus every part of it is made in the USA. My old eyes didn't like the factory sights but Skinner took care of that.

Risasi, hawkguy and DaveShooter like this.

Henry Big Boy .357mag Carbine
Ruger Mini 14 Ranch .223/5.56
CZ 455FS .22LR
CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm
CZ 2075 D RAMI 9mm
Beretta 84FS .380
SIG P-238 .380
Bersa Thunder .22LR
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:33   #14
large member

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I just spent about 45 minutes writing about my good experience with the Rossi Model 92 in 357 Mag/38 Spl. Had a nice picture and everything... and then I lost it all. Any way to get it back? Or should I just walk out into the street and scream F**k as loud as I can? It was a really good post too... one of my best. Well anyway... here's the pic.
a tech tragedy that has probably happened to everyone in some way. sucks on a gun board, REALLY sucks at work.

i recommend a stiff drink....take a drink, then pour a little out of the bottle onto the ground..."one for you, and one for your homie (aka lost post)..." that's how we did it in my hood....

peace out, lost post.....gone, but not forgotten....
40nascar and Beck like this.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:57   #15
large member

dang, after posting pics like this....the henry/rossi debate...just feels...over.

J/K...i'll bow out of this one. i understand the OP's concern about the henry's lack of a side loading gate....because i had the same apprehensions. but some side loading gates (as in the case of my marlin) are actually no faster than the tube loading henry, and are quite frustrating (my marlin gives me a real nice pinch when i'm not paying attention). really question why a side loading gate is so important for its use....that is what i am getting at.

in the end, i don't regret one cent of my henry purchase and my rossi is no longer around. not everyone will have the same experience. that said...for the "function only" minded....i think the rossi will likely serve anyone well. if i was going to toss a gun in the back of my truck, the rossi would be my choice. having owned both a rossi & henry, feel the henry is honestly the best value for the money.

i think my irrelevant opinion has been heard repeatedly. i wish the OP good luck with their choice.

Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
I am a real big Henry fan. I own a Henry Big Boy .357mag Carbine, the fit and finish is perfect and the action is as smooth as butter plus every part of it is made in the USA. My old eyes didn't like the factory sights but Skinner took care of that.

Risasi, howard2374 and Whaler like this.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:32   #16

I have a '92 Rossi .357 and it's pretty nice, light and handy, as long as you feed it what it likes. When using it for CAS and shooting long-loaded .38's it began throwing out live rounds when levered fast. No problem....I switched to a.'73. Then a while back I ordered a new bullet mold that casts a 180 RNFP. Well...it didn't like those either and won't feed them for diddly. My '73's feed anything including SWC's.

If you're not going to mount optics or be carrying it alot, get a '73. Too, the '73's in 357 are very popular with CAS competitors so used ones pop up frequently on the SASS Wire and the CAS City forum. Actually you just missed a crazy good deal on one here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_93/1561868_Uberti_73_357_Mag_with_Cody_Matic_action_j ob___REDUCED__.html
Rockys Pop likes this.
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:53   #17
Honor our Constitution !

I'm still looking for a good deal on a Uberti '66 in .38 spl. 0nly...........last one I found was $900 used, filthy, and apparently having had black powder reloads shot thru it w/o cleaning.
ill keep looking......
Old 07-19-2016, 17:01   #18

My vote is for the Marlin 1894 .357 mag. with the JM stamp. You may be able to find one for around $1000. Incredible gun that is a really fun gun to shoot, 38s or .357.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing 1st Lever Action: Need Advice-kindle_camera_1441116330000.jpg  

Last edited by Beemer606; 07-19-2016 at 17:09. Reason: Added picture
Beemer606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 13:31   #19

I have a JM Marlin 1894CP and a Winchester Trapper. They are both great shooters, but the Marlin is better over all. I realize the loading gate issue, but if I were buying another .357 levergun it would be a Henry. I sold a lot of the Brazilian 92 when I worked in a gunshop during the college years. Folks would get lured in by the price, but most came back for repair. I realize that Steve seems to have all this worked out and folks are pleased with the results, but it is worrisome that you need an extra kit to make your rifle work as it comes from the factory. I would take a good look at the Henry if you get the chance and compare it to the Rossi. If it becomes a toss up, just think about the Rio Olympics and that should help tip the scales.
howard2374 likes this.
ECVMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 00:15   #20
Honor our Constitution !

are the brass feed tube inserts on the Henrys nice and thick?
this has been my only qualm about seriously looking at one....I know they sell replacements, but how often might I need one?

I have a 1st year Henry .22 and a recent mfgr Henry .22 WMR........the magnums tube seems a bit resistive so i'm wondering how easy a big bore tube stuffs into a loaded pipe......
Old 07-29-2016, 05:04   #21

My dad has a Henry in 45 Colt. The tube is plenty sturdy enough. I did note that loads that work in my Rossi will not feed in his. They are too long. I like his Henry because it shoots nice. But I don't like that it doesn't really have a history like other lever guns.

I was looking at the Winchester 1873 for one of my next purchases.
Rockys Pop likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:15   #22
Honor our Constitution !

I have the Miroku (same folks that make Browning) '73 Short Rifle.......and IMHO it's worth the extra $
Old 09-20-2016, 11:31   #23

I have several Henry rifles including a .357 Henry and have been very pleased with them.
DaveShooter likes this.
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 13:47   #24
Draw, Varmint!

Originally Posted by Beck View Post
No there's no way to get your computer-originated draft back; but,

'Welcome to the club, anyway!'

What I do is copy to the clipboard (either on an iMac, or PC) every couple of minutes while I'm composing. Then when a website suddenly goes kerflooey on me, I simply reopen the webpage again, hit paste, and continue!

(Drives the government thought-control censors crazy!)
Beck likes this.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:25   #25

Had the JM Marlin in the past in 38/357 traded it like a big dummy years ago. Just got a Henry Big Boy in Blue Steel in 38/357- Haven't shot it yet but is it a very nice awesome rifle . So I went out and picked up a Henry Big Boy Steel in 45/70 in the 18.43 inch barrel length. Henry to me has Some of the Best looking wood plus Customer Service is Awesome - Plus Made in America or not made at all- Henry Rock !!!! - Don't take my Word but get yourself one and Never look back- Just my 2 cents in the matter...
Rockys Pop and togterry like this.
DaveShooter is offline   Reply With Quote