• 1 Post By chill1955
  • 1 Post By Legion489

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2020, 11:51   #1

Practicing against a charging grizzly bear

https://youtu.be/hx-saB0HQtg
Alaskan Ballistics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 20:41   #2

Nice first attempt at training. You died every time brah. A 9mm puleez. Next time use 00 buck and the bear has no face left. You would never catch me in Griz country without a big can of spray and a 12 ga. full of buck shot for the last resort. Getting chewed up for a bears dinner is not my preferred method of checking out.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:17   #3

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
Nice first attempt at training. You died every time brah. A 9mm puleez. Next time use 00 buck and the bear has no face left. You would never catch me in Griz country without a big can of spray and a 12 ga. full of buck shot for the last resort. Getting chewed up for a bears dinner is not my preferred method of checking out.
brennke slugs way better then buckshot
SPQR70AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2020, 08:34   #4

Originally Posted by SPQR70AD View Post
brennke slugs way better then buckshot
No way jose. The little demo they did was funny and I think they are playing a dangerous game with their local bear population in their minds, they will be a youtube sensation if they kill a bear with a glock. A bear is a ball of fur charging you at 40 mph not 4 and a nice 2D image. Although there have been a fortunate few that have dissuaded a full grown Grizz with single pill dispensing firearms (still got mauled). Virtually none of those 9mm hits would have "killed" their bear target, all would have been deflected or not penetrated. Yeah he had a slug hit that would eventually kill the bear, long after you're under a pile of leaves. Knowing bear behavior and their signs, a big can of pepper spray, and my 12 ga, if/when I hike in the Bob Marshall again. But brennkes work great in ballistic gel!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:50   #5

No way jose. The little demo they did was funny and I think they are playing a dangerous game with their local bear population in their minds, they will be a youtube sensation if they kill a bear with a glock. A bear is a ball of fur charging you at 40 mph not 4 and a nice 2D image. Although there have been a fortunate few that have dissuaded a full grown Grizz with single pill dispensing firearms (still got mauled). Virtually none of those 9mm hits would have "killed" their bear target, all would have been deflected or not penetrated. Yeah he had a slug hit that would eventually kill the bear, long after you're under a pile of leaves. Knowing bear behavior and their signs, a big can of pepper spray, and my 12 ga, if/when I hike in the Bob Marshall again. But brennkes work great in ballistic gel!
bear spray is the best but brennke slugs were proven the best due to penetration. buckshot is sh it after 15 yds. the only way it is good is at close range where it mimics a slug without the penetration by then you are dead. all this talk about a bear charging is a bunch of bull anyway. there is one in a billion chance that would happen.90% of guys with a gun would freeze. a guy in Montana got attacked by a grizzly sow TWICE the same day. he was scouting for elk season and didn't have a gun. if he did she might have killed him. what it shows is they don't seem to want to kill you dead. just mess you up so their cubs are safe. I shot a 500lb bear twice in the heart 2 inches apart from a stand and he still ran 200 yds before keeling over. plenty of time to kill you. unless you got a repeating grenade launcher you will not stop a bear charging you at 35 MPH regardless of the bullsh it spewed by tough guy idiots on gun forums who get bossed around by their wives
Old 05-26-2020, 09:25   #6

If you read the journals of mountain men like Bridger and Carson, they always had a double loaded with heavy shot for close encounters. You're full of crap on your assessment of buckshot sir. at 15 yards out of my 18" barrel is still very tight 4". at 25 yards it is still less that a 12" circle just about the size of a bears head.
It does happen, people do freeze, speaking for yourself about the forum tough guy, wife bossing portion? Anyway it was an unintended humorous video which made it funny.
Old 05-28-2020, 15:22   #7

Somebody compiled all the "bear attack vs guns" stories they could find from the news over several years.
Wish I'd saved it, but the two things I remember were:
9mm worked pretty well- a mag dump of hardball was quite effective.
Just like with criminals, a lot of the stops were psychological- the bear broke off the attack as soon as it was shot with anything.

Me, I prefer a .375 H&H or 12 ga Breneke slugs.

Maybe someone can find the story and post a link.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 16:06   #8

If you read the journals of mountain men like Bridger and Carson, they always had a double loaded with heavy shot for close encounters. You're full of crap on your assessment of buckshot sir. at 15 yards out of my 18" barrel is still very tight 4". at 25 yards it is still less that a 12" circle just about the size of a bears head.
It does happen, people do freeze, speaking for yourself about the forum tough guy, wife bossing portion? Anyway it was an unintended humorous video which made it funny.
buckshot is sh it has no penetration. do you really think it is better then a slug? most guys get bossed around by their wives otherwise they would not stay married
Old 05-30-2020, 20:07   #9

Originally Posted by SPQR70AD View Post
buckshot is sh it has no penetration. do you really think it is better then a slug? most guys get bossed around by their wives otherwise they would not stay married
And you're basing the no penetration on the fact you get bossed around by your wife? 9 .30 caliber balls at bear range a minimum of one will find that sweet spot. A slug you miss, you're done. You get one shot in a charge. Go out to youtube and look at videos for the penetration question if you care so dam much. then come back and say you were wrong. I'll be waiting.
SMOGGUY likes this.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:46   #10

it better be a brain or spine hit, regardless of the load used. 100 lb deer sometiimes run off with 12 ga slugs or 3006 softpoints thru their chest. Jim Carmichael said that a 70 lb warthog took a 458 softpoint to the chest fro the front. It sat down and then ran off He also shot a deer twice thru the chest with a 338 and it ran off. Cooper said he saw a zebra run off with two 458 softpoints in it.
Who says there will be only one shot? That might be true with a bolt action, or with a lever action in super thick brush if you're really slow with it. but it's not true of a real shottist with an autoloader, especially with the gas op rifle. Jerry Miculek can react to the beep of a timer, finish raising the rifle, and get 5 hits on the 10" disk at 5 yds, all in 1 second. You wont even have your shotgun to your shoulder that fast. 223 softpoints to the brain will drop anything short of elephant.

i can react to the beep of the timer, draw a 1911 and put 3 rds of full charge ball ammo in a 10" circle at 5 yds in 1.1 second, , if i'm ready for the signal andfacing the target. I used to be able to do so in 1.0 second, but i'm getting old.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57   #11

Cool.
Not everyone trains as hard or will ever approach Jerry. I love that guy because hes old like me. I am a proven expert on game animals moving fast inside 50 yards and stationary at long ranges in all types of terrain. But like steel, my deer, elk or antelope isn't a 35 mph charging at you with jaws popping and teeth bared, ears pinned back bad bear. In that moment if it ever happens I have it choreographed in my brain like this: with 12 ga. in hand bear is not bluffing ears back raising hell with the brush, jaws popping and hes already bluff charged to within 30 yards. Here he comes head low obscured by huge shoulders, focus on the ears get that head he's 10ft and BOOM, I just blew his head apart, just side step a dead bear going to the ground. I will always carry that in dangerous predator country. Some people freeze up, did you know that?
SMOGGUY likes this.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:13   #12

the kind that freeze up can't be helped, no matter what gear the have. The worst threat is while you're in your sleeping bag. The ASPCA says that in Canada and US a MILLION people are bitten badly enough by dogs to need medical care. while maybe 50 are attacked by bears and maybe 1 per year are killed by a bear, cause they were unarmed. Nobodys scaredof dogs, and men are even more likely to attack you than dogs. I aint buying or carrying anything just for bears. I carry the same pocket 9mm that i carry everywhere and I'll be firing 5 rds per second into a bears face if need be, just like I'd be firing 5 per second into a man or dog's chest.
toyhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:36   #13

OK, for the record, I never have been charged by a bear, and have not needed to defend myself from a charging bear, so obviously I don't have a dog (or bear) in the fight. What do recommend however, is getting a copy of SAFETY IN BEAR COUNTRY by the US Forest Service where they test all sorts of things (shotguns, rifles, handguns, bullet, buck, slugs, on and on) to see what, in their opinion anyway, works. Might throw a little light (or more gas) on the discussion.
SMOGGUY likes this.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote