.38/.357 .45acp .45LC starter press/kit? - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 03:04   #1
Honor our Constitution !

.38/.357 .45acp .45LC starter press/kit?

OK gang......i've perused a lot of the threads on reloading both rifle and handgun rounds but i'm wanting some "fresh" info from the people I trust (y'all, here at PU).

i've previously "reloaded" several hundred rounds of pyrodex loads for my .45 LC SAA clone and enjoyed the devil out of it, but it's time to graduate from pull up training pants to real BVDs and chaps....that don't smoke.

Still have the .45 LC, and a .38/.357 Winchester '73 Short Rifle that the Mrs & I BOTH love shooting....and i'm in the market for a .38/.357 SAA clone to match with my model '73 rifle...and semi retiring the old Long Colt.

The Wife and I also each carry 1911s in .45 acp on a daily basis and love shooting both .
She has no problem at all "one handing" her 3.25" 1911 with 230gr fmj factory target ammo, so i'm thinking "powder puff" won't be a requirement for her.

Plain English now:

what i'm wanting is 1 press or kit, that I can learn reloading with, starting out with .357 then moving to .45 acp then .45 LC as I progress.

i'd like to load with softish lead bullets and mild to medium recoil, but try to balance the .357 rounds to be useful with both the rifle and revolver.
I realize that i'll never roll one round that's optimum for both.....i'm just aiming for "good, not perfect" here.

what would YOU personally purchase to do this with?

thanks in advance for any wisdom y'all can impart here !!
Old 03-11-2015, 19:36   #2
Banned

My wisdom is only as good as who you talk to, please leave my significant other out of this discussion. Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment
A/J/S/USNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:50   #3
Banned

RPop, If you plan to reload straight wall handgun brass and want to turn out volumes of quality ammo order the Dillon Square Deal progressive press. I have 7 presses set up. The Little Dillon is dedicated to the .45 ACP.
It will turn out 350 rounds per hour or more if some one will fill the primer tubes as you load. In my case I can load .45 Win Mags and .45 AR or .45 ACP by only changing the shell holders and adjusting the seater. You also get the best warranty on your Dillon that anyone offers.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2015, 13:41   #4
Honor our Constitution !

Originally Posted by Durango Ranger View Post
RPop, If you plan to reload straight wall handgun brass and want to turn out volumes of quality ammo order the Dillon Square Deal progressive press. I have 7 presses set up. The Little Dillon is dedicated to the .45 ACP.
It will turn out 350 rounds per hour or more if some one will fill the primer tubes as you load. In my case I can load .45 Win Mags and .45 AR or .45 ACP by only changing the shell holders and adjusting the seater. You also get the best warranty on your Dillon that anyone offers.

think that'll be my pick.......
Durango Ranger likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 13:52   #5
Banned

RPop, When you order it from Dillon it comes set up with a loaded test round. The powder charger is not set up of course. It has a primer warning system as well. I would suggest buying the high base for it. It will add about $60 dollars but worth it. Sometimes getting used to a progressive takes a short learning curve. Dillon has very good tech support. You just call them they will walk you through the problems. If anything fails they replace it for life no questions. Good Luck. DR.
Old 03-13-2015, 19:19   #6
Banned

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

It's your money, both will toss out a quality product. Just compare all the features and equipment, and remember that your not attempting to be an automated factory. Artisans craft products one at a time. Not rubbing Durango's Rhubarb, just giving you food for thought. You did ask for opinions.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:22   #7
Banned

SmokeyUSN, The most accurate ammo is loaded by Federal at a speed so fast you can not count it. Dillon precision is the choice of most non-sponsored competition shooters. The Dillon machines are extremely repeatable from one round to the next.
Each time you must change during a loading cycle you compromise the consistency of your reloads. High production combined with constant treatment of each case does create a mini-production line. If slow was effective we would all be shooting cap & ball revolvers.
SmokeyUSN, I know you prefer the LEE Kit for loading. It works for you, use it. Always nice to hear from you regarding my post.
A/J/S/USNRet likes this.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:00   #8
Banned

Well, Rockys Pop was looking for options. RCBS Dillon Lyman all make quality presses, it is up to the Craftsman to build quality Ammo. As an Old Bolt action guy, if I can shoot them faster than I can build them I'm Okay with that. Nothing wrong with step by step methodical in my book. Now folks with allot to do, they might need to move a little faster, but in the end the only thing that matters is the quality of the product. JMHO.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:22   #9
Honor our Constitution !

thanks guys....i'll look at all the options out there.
i'm basically looking for "accurate within reason" as opposed to "Olympic Match Accuracy".
Old 03-15-2015, 03:41   #10

You can turn out good rounds with just about any press out there, not real sure I would recommend a progressive press as your first. Start out simple and rugged, like a RCBS Rockchucker Kit. Later, once you get some experience under your belt, sell the Rockchucker to a friend and get a Progressive if you desire. I load and shoot quite a bit, but have not yet felt the need to "speed things up", the old single stage press still does fine. I enjoy time spent reloading, but that's just me.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52   #11
Banned

Humm? A progressive press can be used for single loading as a "C' or "O" press. The Dillon press frame is a big quality "Rugged", if you will press. The Progressive Press is far more versatile then the single stage units.
Loading rifle ammo for Bench shooting usually do not use conventional bench press of any type. This is the realm of the "Arbor' Press. Most re-loaders who are opposed to the modern Precision Progressive Presses have never owned one. It is telling form their comments.
Old 03-17-2015, 14:29   #12

True, I've never owned one. The Dillon's are nice. I know a guy who also works in the oil fields and makes a hellofalot more money than I, who has 6 Dillons and leaves them set up for the 6 calibers he loads for. I would like to get one, I just never thought of them as a beginners set up.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:12   #13
Banned

Sdog, Dillon offers the BL 550 for $259 dollars. It is the Dillon standard work horse press. It comes without the progressive up grades. As you progress you buy each up grade. In the end you will have a fully functional Dillon progressive.
It does not require a "Good" job to won a Dillon. The cost of new firearms which are caliber specific start at $1,000 dollars these days.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21   #14

Originally Posted by Durango Ranger View Post
It does not require a "Good" job to won a Dillon. The cost of new firearms which are caliber specific start at $1,000 dollars these days.
No, you don't have to be rich to own one. But 6 of them ! Most of us working people would not own more than one. But when you are a company man for Oxy ( Occidental Oil) and make around $1000 a day, you can leave one set up for each caliber, I guess.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19   #15
Banned

He is a very well educated and successful contributor to his trade. Management has it's rewards. Reloading has nothing to do with envy. Some re-loaders simply enjoy good loading equipment like others spend on their pick-up trucks or girl friends. You make it, you spend it where you please.
Old 08-30-2015, 16:31   #16

Dang DR, you are beating me to it! For HANDGUN ONLY, the Dillon Square Deal is it. HOWEVER the con kits are a bit pricey. Also HOWEVER, Dillon really DOES stand behind their stuff (unlike Lee) and even if it is 20 years old and breaks (happened to a friends' SD) they really will repair/replace it!

If you are thinking of going to rifle cartridges some time down the line, look at the 550B instead.

Case forming: RCBS RockChucker.

For those who want to whine about Lee, show me ANY Lee press that has been used every day for 40 years and still works, period. End of story.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 18:12   #17
Banned

Legion489, I guess that leaves the Lee Handloaders without a press out of your discussion?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:56   #18

As you can see I am fond of Dillon blue, I keep 2 550s set up, one for small primers and one for large. I also have a Lee on the bench along with an old Hollywood and a MEC for shotgun.

The 550 is one of the easiest caliber changes out there, currently I have setups for 11 different calibers and another 1/2 dozen or so for the Lee. I would recommend the 550 to anyone as a good starting progressive.

Old 09-05-2015, 14:02   #19

Originally Posted by A/J/S/USNRet View Post
Legion489, I guess that leaves the Lee Handloaders without a press out of your discussion?
I don't consider the wack-a-mole reloaders to be presses. They are dies, like the ones used in arbor presses. Lee makes some great stuff, I have owned or used nearly everything they make, except for the Cast Classic presses. Got the various Lee press sites and see what they say about Lee presses. If someone is happy, far be it from me to tell them they aren't, but I ain't gonna drink the Kool-aid just because I think aliens are going to come "take me home" either.

Love Lee dies, hand primer tools (old ones) and disk measures. The presses? None of them were the quality I prefer. Still haven't seen any old Lee presses (not dies) that work. If you can show them to me I would love to see them!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16   #20

This is just my opinion starting out on a high dollar progressive loader is crazy. I agree thay are great machines. If your not shooting hundreds of rounds a week I don't see the point. I think a person should have a under standing of how to setup dies, powder handling knowing how scale, scoop and use a powder measure. He said he wanted to start out loading 38sp. 38sp/357mag Lee Loader kits work great they are my favorite round to load with a Lee Loader. Just be careful shooting them in your leaver gun until you get the crimp down. Buy a Lee loader, a good scale, Lee Dipper set, dial calipers and Lee case trimmer. I would also say buy a 38 cal Lee mold and start casting as well. A good safe powder for a person starting out loading handgun cartridges is Trail Boss it is nice and bulky most loads are a full or almost full case.
Rockys Pop likes this.
51colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:49   #21

Originally Posted by Legion489 View Post
I don't consider the wack-a-mole reloaders to be presses. They are dies, like the ones used in arbor presses. Lee makes some great stuff, I have owned or used nearly everything they make, except for the Cast Classic presses. Got the various Lee press sites and see what they say about Lee presses. If someone is happy, far be it from me to tell them they aren't, but I ain't gonna drink the Kool-aid just because I think aliens are going to come "take me home" either.

Love Lee dies, hand primer tools (old ones) and disk measures. The presses? None of them were the quality I prefer. Still haven't seen any old Lee presses (not dies) that work. If you can show them to me I would love to see them!
Legion, USNRet could be refering to this:
https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION.../dp/B0050Z5A6E

"Life is hard, life is even harder if you're stupid and lazy." Marion Morrison(John Wayne)
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 17:38   #22

necro thread 5 years.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:40   #23

Yes, five years old and you posted to it. What's the point?
Old 07-27-2020, 12:12   #24

ya just what is the point?
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:55   #25

You are the one whining about the thread being old, not me. When asked what your point was, whining about the old post, you said you had no point. OK, so you are pointless, I should have known.